Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304356 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #915 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:17 am »

There were some who believed that a trope could be sexist and others who believed that a trope could not be sexist and only through overuse could it be.
This still makes no sense to me.

The nature of a trope includes the trends in its use. Individual usages are examples of that trope, but the trope itself is the broader trend. How common a trope is, how it has been subverted or reinforced, what media it is found in and how and why... these are all central to what that trope is. It doesn't make sense to talk about use of a trope without looking at those factors.

If there is a trend (trope) of using a plot device or character type that is sexist, that is a sexist trope.

Individual examples of it may not be intended to be sexist or overly horrible taken in isolation, but they may still contribute to an overall sexist trend that is problematic.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #916 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »

I don't think people here like to talk, or can't wrap their heads around, the idea of trends, statistics, probabilities.

If someone brings up a trend, you cannot point to a specific instance and say "This disproves the whole thing!" It just doesn't work that way.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:57 pm »

Descan, people are bad with statistics. Very bad.
You want to know how bad? I can prove that by having read this very post you have a higher life expectancy than average. That is how bad people re with statistics.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 10, 2013, 02:26:55 pm »

So, here's a game coming out soon that a few actual real life female gamers that I know were interested in due to the company's pedigree (Odin Sphere, etc) but completely lost interest in due to the female playable character designs being so distractingly offensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeCtJrWWK8g

Not trying to prove any sweeping points here, it's just a particular example that got to me.
Distractingly bad ::).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:57 pm »

And really, men are stupid isn't a common trope?
Dominant. Dominant stereotype.

You can't really speak of dominant stereotypes in a genre (sitcoms) that has such diversity of shows. Looking through this list of the top 50 British sitcoms (most of which I've seen at some point) you roughly the same range of characters you would expect to find in all media. Hell, I'd say there is stronger class stereotyping than gender in that selection, and even then it's pretty weak.

I counted 6 on that list of 50 which had a clear female protagonist. And it's probably similar in American sitcoms (a quick scan of imdb's top 50 sitcoms was about the same). Here's the same pattern as noted in video games - a handful with a clear female protagonist, about 50% where there's a split between male / females roughly evenly (though the default tends to be the guy's point of view) and about 50% where there's very clearly a guy at the center of the story. So the breakdown in games as far as protagonist's gender goes, probably isn't wildly different to other mediums.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:34:47 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:56 am »

So, here's a game coming out soon that a few actual real life female gamers that I know were interested in due to the company's pedigree (Odin Sphere, etc) but completely lost interest in due to the female playable character designs being so distractingly offensive.

Not trying to prove any sweeping points here, it's just a particular example that got to me.

Holy crap. The gals (with the possible exception of "Elf" because Androgyny) are breasts and butt, with a few small body parts attached. ._.

I mean, the guys are walking carrots made of muscle too, but at least they got sufficient clothes to cover up their vulnerables.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 11, 2013, 02:01:18 am »

Holy crap. The gals (with the possible exception of "Elf" because Androgyny) are breasts and butt, with a few small body parts attached. ._.

I mean, the guys are walking carrots made of muscle too, but at least they got sufficient clothes to cover up their vulnerables.
This has got to be a parody. What.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 11, 2013, 02:12:20 am »

Well to be fair, both Elf and Wizard don't seem two bad, so thats two decent female characters.
 :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:50 am »

It's like someone saw a chainmail bikini and thought "A chick warrior would never wear that! It's way too modest."

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:24 am »

Wow, didn't expect anyone to actually say this out loud. Kudos to you.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:45 am »

This has got to be a parody. What.

ha. i like how everyone jumps on the female stereotypes and screams "SEXIST!!1!!!111!" yet completely forgets to mention that the males are just as stereotyped and just as bad.

exactly the same as most movies and anime/manga involving men. stereotyped up to the hilt, just like the women, yet completely ignored.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:07:40 am by kahn1234 »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:46 am »

We've been over this already.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 11, 2013, 04:45:52 am »

but you missed the point and for some reason believe that stereotyping of men is fine and good whilst women arent allowed to be stereotyped at all.

double standards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 11, 2013, 04:56:11 am »

but you missed the point and for some reason believe that stereotyping of men is fine and good whilst women arent allowed to be stereotyped at all.

double standards.

Ahh and that is a conversation we had as well where some of the opinions was that sexism was it pertains to men is A-OK because only women are affected within reason.

Edit: I actually had to remove my vitriol.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:59:32 am by Neonivek »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 11, 2013, 04:58:36 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:05:36 pm by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 277