Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304387 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #885 on: April 09, 2013, 01:30:54 pm »

I care about the sappy parts...
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress forums, we're the worst possible sample for determining preferences of the general population.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 09, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

,m
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:12:01 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »

BTW, speaking of these movies, did you notice how it's always the man that does something idiotic and makes the big mess that drives the plot?

Did you notice how, every time, no matter what the man does, it doesn't matter in the end? Anything he screws up over the course of the movie is supposed to be completely forgiven.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 09, 2013, 01:38:27 pm »

There's more to anime than boobs?

I guess you learn something new every day.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 09, 2013, 01:41:13 pm »

It's called a happy ending, you can't make a movie without that. Though it's not exactly uncommon for the guy to wind up totally miserable if he's not lucky enough to be the male lead. Plots where the girls is dating a douche and then realizes she's had a great guy right next to her all the time aren't exactly uncommon. Thing is, frequently the douchey thing that the first guy does isn't actually unforgivable if you look at it objectively.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #891 on: April 09, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

How am I supposed to look at moral things objectively? That's an odd thing to ask someone to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »

By ignoring the suggestive soundtrack.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 09, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »

No, it's not romcoms being targeted towards men, it's a romance and a comedy mashed together to appeal to a wider demographic. Men don't care about the sappy parts.
I... I just... what?

For starters men very often do care about the sappy parts. Lots of men are in, have been in or want to be in romantic relationships. Fictional romantic relationships are an entirely normal and common part of male escapism, even if it isn't considered a masculine form of entertainment in current culture. The idea that sappy romantic stuff is just for women is absolute nonsense.

And I don't really see how you are drawing a line between romcoms and romantic comedies here. I mean, it looks like you are just defining romcoms as films targeted at women and then dismissing the laughable idea that they could be targeted at men as well without being some other genre. In other words, you are defining the argument out of existence rather than trying to consider the point being made.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

Yeah, men are often in a romantic relationship, and it's mostly these men that watch romcoms.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »

It's called a happy ending, you can't make a movie without that. Though it's not exactly uncommon for the guy to wind up totally miserable if he's not lucky enough to be the male lead. Plots where the girls is dating a douche and then realizes she's had a great guy right next to her all the time aren't exactly uncommon. Thing is, frequently the douchey thing that the first guy does isn't actually unforgivable if you look at it objectively.

Well then, the man screwing things up is just causing a conflict. That's just a necessary story element. I don't see why you're complaining about it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 09, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »

The fact that it's almost always the man. It's a rather common trope that men are idiots, especially in sitcoms.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #897 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »

And the idiot man's blunders are the main source of the show's entertainment/comedy, primarily drive the plot forward, and have everyone else reacting to or being affected by him. If this is a negative stereotype, dang, I want all negative stereotypes to get this much respect.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 10, 2013, 04:34:42 am »

No, it's not romcoms being targeted towards men, it's a romance and a comedy mashed together to appeal to a wider demographic. Men don't care about the sappy parts. BTW, speaking of these movies, did you notice how it's always the man that does something idiotic and makes the big mess that drives the plot?

"romance and a comedy mashed together" - Just like harem animes, amiright?
"the man that does something idiotic and makes the big mess that drives the plot" - Sure, exactly like harems, yet again.

Anyway, i can't see how you can differentiate "romantic comedy" from "romance and comedy mashed together". It seems like you're using semantics to limit "romcom" to only the things you want to use to push your argument, exactly like in the "no true scotsman" tactic:
No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion. When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim, rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule.

Exactly why does "it's always the man that does something idiotic and makes the big mess that drives the plot" exclude a male audience? Harem romance / comedy animes are heavily skewed to the male audience, and almost always use that trope. Everyone enjoys schadenfreude.

Men don't care about the sappy parts.
I care about the sappy parts...
True Men don't care about the sappy parts.

FTFY. (just kidding, Kansa)

There's more to anime than boobs?

I guess you learn something new every day.
Mostly these days people seem to get offended by the lack of boobs, so to speak. Seems to be the general trend.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:48:36 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 10, 2013, 04:48:43 am »

exactly like in the "no true scotsman" tactic:

Ehhh, I'd at least would like to hear what he really means because I can think of one Genre where you can ask "Is it really?" which would be horror.

A lot of horror isn't scary and doesn't try to be. Its status of "horror" is achieved simply because it features a monster.

A "Romantic Comedy" that isn't a "Romantic Comedy" in that it doesn't capture the essence of the goals of its genre and instead uses a few tropes and claims itself to be one of them, is something I very well can see happening. Though I cannot think of one.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 277