Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304096 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #585 on: March 30, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »

Now i think we should at least give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

Really? She bought Dinosaur Planet a game that doesn't exist?

I am not saying she isn't playing games I am saying I doubt she played most of the games she shown... simply because that is a lot of games to play.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #586 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

It's a combination of "She's a girl? She doesn't play video games" and "A person with my view on this game? There's no way they could have played it." Those are both pretty common reactions to people discussing games (not Neonivek's reaction, but the general response).

This is facepalm worthy.

I am not saying she isn't playing games I am saying I doubt she played most of the games she shown... simply because that is a lot of games to play.

It's been eight months since talked about starting her research. I think it's reasonable to assume she's played more games in that time than she's shown in this video.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:03:38 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 30, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »

This is... faulty logic to say the least. She brought it up because it is an extremely good example, and it is well within her right to do so. Your point is irrelevant.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 30, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »

This is... faulty logic to say the least. She brought it up because it is an extremely good example, and it is well within her right to do so. Your point is irrelevant.

So you are saying that she doesn't have to play a game in order to get good examples right?

Which is why I don't think she played most of them. That and some of them are pretty insanely tough for someone who doesn't constantly play videogames.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:18:42 pm by Neonivek »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 30, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

So you are saying that she doesn't have to play a game in order to get good examples right?

Which is why I don't think she played most of them. That and some of them are pretty insanely tough for someone who doesn't constantly play videogames.

I'm saying the story of that game stands on it's own. The fact that we *didn't* get to play it and instead had another hero served to us is a story with it's own merit, i don't understand what you don't get about that.
It has nothing to do with whether or not she's played the other games, because with that example it is the story surrounding the game more than the game itself that serves as compelling evidence.
Frankly, there is no logic to your conclusion that the fact she's used it as an example is evidence she doesn't play games. She's already said she's a gamer, there is no evidence she's lying except for "hurr durr, she's a girl with opinions i don't like!".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #590 on: March 30, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »

hurr durr
hurr durr durr
I doubt she played half the games she shown... or almost any of them.
What the hell happened to this thread in such short time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
"An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as an informal fallacy, more precisely an irrelevance.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »

To preface this, no hard feelings to anyone, but I'm getting sick of the pointless nit-picky arguments in this thread. Really, it's killing any decent discussion that remains.

If you do a bit of Googling, you can find a pretty lengthy play-through video of Dinosaur Planet, recorded during an E3 demo in the early 00's. It illustrates the gameplay, and the characterization of Krystal and other members of the core cast, quite nicely. There are other videos out there as well, but that one shows more than enough to discuss the game and it's characters in a documentary.

EDIT: It seems cartridges of Dinosaur Planet were passed around to a few game magazines during that E3 as well, but they're now all in the hands of private collectors. No one has found a collector who's willing to create a ROM from their copy of the unreleased beta either, which is unfortunate.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:23:36 pm by Solifuge »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:07 pm »

This thread has some serious problems.  I think to have a real discussion about this you'd need more clearly defined topics and stronger control from the OP.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 30, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »

Sorry if i've offended anyone.
In my limited defence it irritates me greatly to see people make unfounded claims about the validity of someones identity. If she says she's a gamer we should take her at face value. If she says she's been playing these games we should take her at face value. That's really all i have to say.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:52 pm »

Sorry, I meant to direct the nitpicking comment toward Neonivek; I didn't see the relevance in that train of thought, and wanted to illustrate how she may have gained information for her review, given how Rare (hurhur) Dinosaur Planet is.

But the discussion is starting to seem more like it's about attacking people and their arguments, instead of discussing the representation of women in video games. Not only are people trying to discredit the video and/or Sarkeesian herself, most recently through weird and indirect conjecture-based arguments ("She probably doesn't even PLAY these games"), people have been attacking contributors to the thread as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:55:19 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »

What Nitpicking? I am arguing that she hasn't played all the games because she not only doesn't need to but that it would be an obsessive time sink.

Why people think I am trying to belittle anyone is beyond me.

"I didn't see the relevance in that train of thought"

Nothing really, I had to however defend my statement that I think she didn't play most of her games. Which people argue "No, if she didn't play all her games then she is a FAKER AND TERRIBLE" which my counter to that is "She doesn't need to play all the games, look at Dinosaur planet she has NEVER played it because she couldn't have. Thus my statement of her not playing most of her games has nothing to do with competency"

Which is why these conversations are weird. People will argue against you on the basis of a percieved attack, and thus you can argue back not by saying "No, I am right" but by saying "It doesn't affect her competency"

I am actually quite frustrated that I have to keep making statements until the relevation of: "Ohh my goodness! Neonivek isn't bashing Anita? Well now I actually have to read his statements with a shred of analytical thought instead of just assuming he is saying the worst possible things constantly". Which gets really tiring.

Want to know why I often do arguements where I do nothing but say the same thing over and over again? It isn't because I countering people with the same arguement, it is because I am trying to present the same arguement that no one seems to understand.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:05:56 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 30, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure she's played quite a few games.

Now that is a counter arguement.

Mind you one that is assuming my statement that she plays "only a few games" and not pertaining to the ones in the video.

It does say she likely played the major ones.

Mind you I can't argue against that... yeah she maybe plays too many games.

Though she seems to be rather standard in terms of her gaming preferences (Shooters, platformers)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:17:30 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #598 on: March 30, 2013, 07:15:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure she's played quite a few games.
Holy shit how is she going to clear up all of that? Madness. Madness! It'll be compact discs all over the rug!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 30, 2013, 07:19:20 pm »

Sad that the only two PC games she played is Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 unless she just didn't decide to put them in a pile (since... most people don't keep the box).
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 277