Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303983 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #570 on: March 30, 2013, 06:22:55 am »

I dont see how those quotes are dismissing the entire medium of gaming at all. The first one seems to claim that most publishers are sexist (not all), and the next specifically states that they never said the entire industry is sexist.

(Maby I am missing your intended point?)
Generalization of the entire industry to state the majority is sexist based off of individual examples.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2013, 10:51:47 am »

Hollywood is actually more sexist than the game industry, and it's a bad example to try to hold the gaming industry to. The people who hold the money in the Hollywood system are convinced that if there is a single scene where two women talk about anything other than a man then that scene shouldn't exist. Fighting against this is an uphill battle for literally everyone who wants to change it. To the point where young screenwriters are indoctrinated to cut these scenes from their scripts because "they will never be greenlit otherwise."

Publishers in the gaming industry aren't there ... yet.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00:57 am »

Hollywood is actually more sexist than the game industry, and it's a bad example to try to hold the gaming industry to. The people who hold the money in the Hollywood system are convinced that if there is a single scene where two women talk about anything other than a man then that scene shouldn't exist. Fighting against this is an uphill battle for literally everyone who wants to change it. To the point where young screenwriters are indoctrinated to cut these scenes from their scripts because "they will never be greenlit otherwise."

Publishers in the gaming industry aren't there ... yet.
Quite frankly Hollywood has committed crimes against humanity and cinematography. They've got tons to answer for.

I mean seriously, they wanted to make At the Mountains of Madness have a female heroine lead with a happy ending. They seem to have thought up the notion that making female characters have no character at all is fine as long as they embody positive qualities. Can you even remember what's her face's name from the thing remake?

Not to detract from the topic at hand though. Just because Hollywood is a massive cultural abomination at times doesn't mean we can't point out where games do trail off the abusive end. But perhaps instead of trying to tear down what is believed to be sexist, one should encourage and support the games that treat their characters like people?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27:36 am »

No, because much of what remains is still fucking offensive.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:24 am »

Appreciation for what is there neither alleviates nor is relevant to the fact that the industry as a whole is sexist.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #575 on: March 30, 2013, 11:30:57 am »

No, because much of what remains is still fucking offensive.
And you can't change or remove that, it's as futile as trying to destroy writings in the modern age by burning down a library; it achieves nothing and only serves to garner resistance, instead of encouraging or even providing a positive alternative.

Oh and "being offensive" should never be grounds for deletion.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 30, 2013, 11:36:15 am »

I have been accused of taking so many different positions in this conversation that I am getting a little bit sick.  Show me somewhere where I advocated censorship.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2013, 11:48:20 am »

I have been accused of taking so many different positions in this conversation that I am getting a little bit sick.  Show me somewhere where I advocated censorship.
No one is accusing you of anything.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:35 am »

It's still a valid point, though, you'll advance your cause a lot more with positive measures (making good non-sexist games) than with negative measures (criticism). Tropes don't die and leave a void behind, they get pushed out into obscurity by new tropes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:30 am »

Just because we can praise what's good doesn't mean we shouldn't criticize what's bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #580 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:09 pm »

Just because we can praise what's good doesn't mean we shouldn't criticize what's bad.
And it also means we shouldn't only criticize the bad.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 30, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »

No, I don't mean praising good games, I mean making good games. You need a certain critical mass to displace tropes. Certainly the Kickstarter cash that Saarkesian got could've went into that rather than research for videos that don't really have much research behind them and are paid for by Youtube anyway.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #582 on: March 30, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »

and are paid for by Youtube anyway.

Wait, did YouTube actually buy all her equipment and all the games she's played and provide for all her living expenses while she's working on them? Because if so, I guess the money really was unwarranted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »

Wait, did YouTube actually buy all her equipment and all the games she's played and provide for all her living expenses while she's working on them? Because if so, I guess the money really was unwarranted.

I doubt she played half the games she shown... or almost any of them.

So lets exclude the "Games she's played" from the list of costs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:28:00 pm by Neonivek »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 30, 2013, 03:40:58 pm »

I doubt she played half the games she shown... or almost any of them.

So lets exclude the "Games she's played" from the list of costs.

Now i think we should at least give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

A lot of the nerd rage criticism i've seen of her is along the lines of "hurr durr durr, i bet she doesn't even really play video-games."
Which is baseless and unfair, the only evidence i've ever been shown to prove she isn't a gamer is that she has criticized games generally held in high regard, like bayonetta. Like suddenly it's evidence you're not a gamer if you have criticism of a game that is generally well received.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 277