Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51697 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:42 pm »

They die earlier.
... Isn't that a good thing to fight off an aging population?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »

What does health do anyway? I have an average health of 1 and a lot of people have 0 health. Nothing special is happening to them though.

They can die earlier, more likely to get diseases (which is a disaster that can wipe out a lot of people) and I know happiness determines how long they work vs how long they idle...this may also influence that.

As for fighting off an aging population? Old people work until they die so there is little reason to worry about them taking too long to die.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2014, 12:44:37 am »

Tonight, I got to year 10, and finally got my trade depot up. And then the most wonderful thing happened: I discovered that the game has time acceleration buttons. :P
I played the entire first decade without them. >_>

Now in year 14, and finally have an order placed for the traders to bring stone. Because that stuff is seriously a pain to get.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:46:16 am by alway »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 21, 2014, 12:47:37 am »

Tonight, I got to year 10, and finally got my trade depot up. And then the most wonderful thing happened: I discovered that the game has time acceleration buttons. :P
I played the entire first decade without them. >_>
dude

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2014, 01:50:10 am »

Another particularly interesting thing I figured out with some confirming tests: after initial planting, farmers don't really seem to have a noticeable effect on crops. Which means if you put in a burst of farmers at planting, and another farmer-zerg at harvest, you can swap them over to other tasks all summer long, basically upping your productivity overall by like 20%.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2014, 01:56:09 am »

If you don't micro them like that, don't they default to laborer jobs anyways?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:19 am »

They do, and the game is surprisingly efficient at swapping jobs and homes so people run around less and do more.

Besides, once you get up to about ~100 citizens it's mostly a game of just not screwing up too badly.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 21, 2014, 03:59:26 am »

So basically, this game has no idlers.
At least less than DF does.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2014, 06:20:52 am »

So I just learned that mines and quarries will deplete overtime. How viable is it to completely rely on renewable resources (firewood comes to mind) and aqcuire stones and irons via trade post?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:43 am »

I like how the game revolve around harvest. There's probably a bit more to do around that (harvest festival ? happiness modifier depending on last harvest compared to ighest harvest ?).

I don't like how, during said harvest, you better cancel out every other job for fear your farmers will run to the other side of the map to pick up a moldy log some forester forgot. My farmers are derping the harvest away with a dedication I cannot but admire.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:18 am »

So I just learned that mines and quarries will deplete overtime. How viable is it to completely rely on renewable resources (firewood comes to mind) and aqcuire stones and irons via trade post?
That's what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure I'm right, but I think the traders bring more and more items with passing time and you buying their products. Nowadays I'm regularly seeing traders with up to 200 stones (and maybe more, I do automatic trading) in their boat.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:57 am »

Nope; they actually keep pretending they are tending to the dirt. During the winter, they do default to laborer jobs. I suspect they are actually having some effect though, it's just very minor.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:50 am »

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure I'm right, but I think the traders bring more and more items with passing time and you buying their products. Nowadays I'm regularly seeing traders with up to 200 stones (and maybe more, I do automatic trading) in their boat.

My current village of 200 peeps has this going on. No quarries or mines, just reliance on trade for stone, coal, and iron. If I'm desperate I'll send my guys out to trek for the resources that are far away from the town, but the traders bring in 500 to 600 units of stone, iron, and coal whenever they decide to come in, which isn't too often but it's enough for my current needs.

I do have five trading posts to handle trading though, so gathering resources to trade is a bit annoying, especially after I made a hamlet. Resources are spread all around and it takes a long time to finally get stuff to the trading post the merchant has to be at. Luckily my town started right next to a huge lake so I've got plenty of space to build more trading posts, but I'd like to see trading straightened up so you don't need so many to make trading viable.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:13 am »

My current village of 200 peeps has this going on. No quarries or mines, just reliance on trade for stone, coal, and iron. If I'm desperate I'll send my guys out to trek for the resources that are far away from the town, but the traders bring in 500 to 600 units of stone, iron, and coal whenever they decide to come in, which isn't too often but it's enough for my current needs.

I do have five trading posts to handle trading though, so gathering resources to trade is a bit annoying, especially after I made a hamlet. Resources are spread all around and it takes a long time to finally get stuff to the trading post the merchant has to be at. Luckily my town started right next to a huge lake so I've got plenty of space to build more trading posts, but I'd like to see trading straightened up so you don't need so many to make trading viable.
Does building more trading posts make more boats to come visit? I'm only seeing between one and two boats per year with one trading post.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2014, 01:01:15 pm »

Nope; they actually keep pretending they are tending to the dirt. During the winter, they do default to laborer jobs. I suspect they are actually having some effect though, it's just very minor.

Ah! So basically I should only assign farmers during what seasons?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28