Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51813 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »

I don't like it, PNX, because I'm disturbed by ad hominem attacks in general (that one was pretty blatant), and Malkavian kind of rubs me the wrong way specifically. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »

Another Soylent review.  The most comprehensive one yet, it looks like.  This reviewer lived exclusively on the stuff for two weeks, and documented much more thoroughly than others have before him.  I haven't read the full article, since I don't have much time left to my night.  Just skipped to his description of the final week.  Once again, it looks really positive.
Interesting, it's nice to see an experience by a third party. I think two weeks is really far too short a trial period to really say much, but it does look fairly promising.
It's crazy how much weight he lost in only two weeks, but that can probably be chalked up to the fact that Soylent is optimized while most people in the West do not eat well at all due to the abundance of food in their lives.

Hell, I've lost more weight than that in two weeks before, but that's because I was quite literally starving at the time (<800 calories/day, all vending machine food, my MBR is 2300 calories/day and it was finals week to boot).

I'm willing to have tentative belief in Soylent at this point, which is to say that I'll try it once it gets approved for general sales.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »

Pretty sure they already got FDA approval and are just working on logistics now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »

Fine, once it reaches a state in which I am able to purchase it, then.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »

It's crazy how much weight he lost in only two weeks, but that can probably be chalked up to the fact that Soylent is optimized while most people in the West do not eat well at all due to the abundance of food in their lives.

Hell, I've lost more weight than that in two weeks before, but that's because I was quite literally starving at the time (<800 calories/day, all vending machine food, my MBR is 2300 calories/day and it was finals week to boot).

I'm willing to have tentative belief in Soylent at this point, which is to say that I'll try it once it gets approved for general sales.
See I really wasn't sure what to make of that. The 8lbs could have been a natural loss for the diet shift, or it could be a sign that the diet was unsustainable. Hence why I said that this seems like it could use a longer study.

EDIT: Though apparently I should have kept reading because about 4lbs of the weight lost was weight from retained water.

EDIT2: He also says at the end that these results might just indicate that he was less hydrated at the end than when got the first test.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:02:28 pm by Pnx »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2013, 12:11:28 am »

We're getting close... I've thought about this stuff seriously almost every day for months now.  I'm so done dealing with food.

A couple links.  They're a bit old already.  I've been collecting tabs and bookmarks without reading them for a while now.  Too busy and tired.

Rob Rhinehart did an AMA  It's really refreshing to see him talk about Soylent in an atmosphere that is mostly positive about it and already knows the answers to the basic questions.

They've begun sharing more specific information about the final v1.0 formula, beginning with macronutrients
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:32 am »

Nice to see that this is still going, I look forwards to when it finally gets out there (heck, I'd try it!). Also the topic is a gold mine for posts like this:
I’m really hoping this works out. I really don’t want to eat anymore.
:P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:54 pm »

That's totally how I feel about it. 

95% of the time when I need to eat breakfast or lunch, or my wife says "what should we do about supper?", my immediate reaction is - "Just put something in front of me and I'll eat it.  I don't care.  I WANT TO DO OTHER THINGS."  And then I end up eating unhealthy crap, or skipping the meal completely.  I would much rather save money and time than eat "real food".

I'm definitely going to be one of those people who only eats 3-4 solid meals a week after this stuff becomes commercially available.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:10 pm »

Why not?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »

Wedgetarian, probably. Can only eat foods shaped like wedges.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

I'd be interested in it too. I'd probably still eat most meals but on some days like today where I really don't want to bother with breakfast...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »

In preparation for the Soylent shipping date, I've been keeping a diet journal since October, with calories per day, % of fat/protein/carbs, exercise, and sleep/wake time as well (having to weigh everything sucks balls).  Will post results after my month gets here, and probably continue with a home-brew blend afterwards to compare for another month.  Will do a general ability test before and after as well.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2013, 03:26:39 am »

Sounds really interesting! (I often wished that something like that existed)

However if it is 9 dollar a day, it's quite expensive.

I estimate that i spend at maximum that amount of money on food right now, and - shame on me - I am really buying expensive and high quality stuff (no meat or fish though).

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2013, 03:20:45 pm »

If you roll your own, its " The total cost of a monthly supply of Poor Man’s Soylent is $104.61 or ~$3.40 per day. "
http://soylentmaker.com/the-poor-mans-recipe/

Probably would go up to double that if you added in more supplements / changed from the poor solution to the new recipe: http://soylentmaker.com/the-beginners-diy-soylent-recipe/

See here for cost comparisons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiQ3zXfYwvZpdFJ2Q0wtWl9vOVdyRUh2Z1dmMGIxbkE&usp=sharing#gid=5

The price on the soylent campaign says $255 for a month's worth, which is ~$8.5 (assuming 30 days).  I don't see any more bulk options past that though, so yea, for cheaper stuff you'd have to roll your own.

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »

255 per person per month is about what food for my house costs.  Compared to something that gives you everything you need ? Heh, no contest.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38