Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51817 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2013, 11:35:08 pm »

Then it turns out Rob reports a higher mental efficiency by drinking the stuff? He has better concentration, alertness, motivation, everything? Hell yes. Sign me up.
Do note that he attributes this primarily to his previous normal diet being absolutely terrible rather than the new one being SUPER SPECIAL. He just guesses many others unknowingly (or knowingly) have pretty bad diets too.

Well, yeah. I've read stories from vegetarians and vegans about how the changed diet produced similar results, probably because it was "healthier." I don't want to go into details about how it was healthier, but basically it's the same concept. The person's diet was lackluster before, switching to another diet that addresses what was wrong with their previous diet results in improvements.

The problem with vegetarian or vegan diets for me is that it can be expensive to buy the foods, a hassle to get or prepare the foods, and I just don't like eating most veggies. So yeh, my diet and nutrition probably isn't up to snuff, and would probably benefit from the nutrients and stuff in the soylent that I otherwise wouldn't be getting much of.

Soylent is just so frikkin' convenient and efficient compared to standard meal preparation that I already liked the thought of it. The reported improvements from Rob and others and how successful it is as an alternative method of sustenance just further emphasize that I want to test this crazy new age food of the future sometime.

Plus, he said he added nootropics to it. Mental drugs. That might explain why he feels the way he feels. Not just nutrition.

This is news to me. I thought it was some other nutritional thing I had never heard of. I'd think adding drugs into a food for distribution would go against some law or other in some country. Then again, caffeine is technically a drug, so...huh. If nootropics are included in the mass distributed product then the public reactions might be interesting.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:19 pm »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:11 pm »

He puts, iirc, aniracetam in his personal mix.  I know it was one of the more powerful racetams.  I'm almost certain it's not included in the commercial formula, though I imagine it will probably be an option when he gets around to producing multiple varieties of the stuff.

The racetams are legit.  I've been taking piracetam for years.  I need to get to bed, so I won't go digging up information on them right now.  I'll just say that I did a bunch of reading and cross-checking a large variety of sources before trying it, and my experience pretty well matches its reputation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:59 am »

It sounds kinda like bunk to me.

Can't tell if you're saying nootropics themselves sounds like bunk or the whole "soylent helps with mental abilities, with no relation whatsoever to the use of nootropics"

It's still an efficient method of sustenance, if Rob's last five or so months living on the stuff is any evidence. There's also that reporter who lived on it for about a week and wrote about how it went, and then there's all the supporters who are making their own recipes of the stuff. There's gotta be some credibility in it as a means of --for lack of a better term-- not starving to death.

I'd try it. Why not?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2013, 12:10:08 am »

No, I mean the nootropics thing kinda raises one or two automatic "bunk" detection flags in my head (helps you think better! Few side effects!)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:15 am »

I'm pretty sure Adderal effectively demonstrated "not bunk" for the general case. Although particularly claims almost certainly are. Not like any field is safe from snake oil salesmen.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31:57 am »

Piracetam is a very subtle effect.  You don't even feel it.  It's something you notice when you look back at what you've done throughout the day.  I don't really take it for mental performance, though.  I take it for the claims regarding mental health in general.  It's cheap and there's really no drawbacks to it.  The zero side-effects claim I can at least verify is 100% true, unless there's something long-term that I'm just not aware of yet.  So it's worth it on the chance that it helps fight my strong family history of alzheimer's, which it's also supposedly quite effective at treating.

And the stuff has been around for over 30 years.  While research on it has been sparse until more recently, I think that's still plenty of time for any serious red flags to have shown up.

There's several more varieties of "racetam" that I haven't looked into as much, but they're supposed to be pretty much identical, with the only difference being a stronger effect.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure Adderal effectively demonstrated "not bunk" for the general case. Although particularly claims almost certainly are. Not like any field is safe from snake oil salesmen.

Oh, I was on Adderal once! Turned me into an emotional wreck.

Anyway, yeah, not disagreeing much anymore. Again, it was an automatic reaction to certain claims.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »

Another Soylent review.  The most comprehensive one yet, it looks like.  This reviewer lived exclusively on the stuff for two weeks, and documented much more thoroughly than others have before him.  I haven't read the full article, since I don't have much time left to my night.  Just skipped to his description of the final week.  Once again, it looks really positive.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »

Edited out because I should be sleeping and not posting on a forum.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:21:39 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »

Edit: You're not worth the effort.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »

...deviant?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:25 pm »

... why quote the post from march?

Also that's not even remotely all the reasons folks have for being interested in this stuff. Which you might know if you actually read the thread?

That's...  not getting in what the other folks probably will. Poor word choice, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

Another Soylent review.  The most comprehensive one yet, it looks like.  This reviewer lived exclusively on the stuff for two weeks, and documented much more thoroughly than others have before him.  I haven't read the full article, since I don't have much time left to my night.  Just skipped to his description of the final week.  Once again, it looks really positive.
Interesting, it's nice to see an experience by a third party. I think two weeks is really far too short a trial period to really say much, but it does look fairly promising.

The "recipe" he posted is for a whole day apparently, he consumes it over the course of the day, so it's less than $5 for a whole day, he listed the cost as being about $154 a month, which is about 1/4 what the average American spends on food.

I spend about that much on actual food a month, but then again I live on about $10,000 USD a year.  Other than that the guy sounds like a deviant and the thought of giving up food just to be what some fruit loop thinks is healthy makes me feel sick to my stomach. I'd rather eat actual soylent green than this slop that deviant is serving up.
I seriously don't understand why so many people seem to be personally offended by this.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2013, 10:22:18 pm »

Yeah I'm sorry, I'm kind of tired and I didn't realize that post was from March.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38