Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51795 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »

Salmon, no. Bad.

* Descan smacks the FishLord with a newspaper.

I was talkling about the derision -of the guys who make Soylent- by the critics!

Ah... ok... were you talking about the comments, then?  Or just the fact that Rob has to deal with that stuff at all?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »

Well, the article itself. It got better in the actual interview but the preamble was a little "Hah I get it, they're nerds..."

Anyway, my general "hate derision" is more of a... every other article on the internet thing. Written about anything and everything, it's... It get's a little tiresome...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2013, 07:03:10 pm »

The social fabric of the internet does seem to be woven entirely of smugness anymore.  I agree that it's tiresome.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »

I do hope that when it goes live, at the very least a different color is an option. Yeah I know food coloring could easily be added, but the semen appearance isn't exactly appetizing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2013, 08:17:21 pm »

Funny thing is it looks kinda' exactly like probably better than 3/4ths of the dietary supplement type stuff I've seen. Protein shakes, diet drinks, etc., so forth, so on. Cake batter, too. All about the same off-white color.

It's like. I'unno. That stuff. Wheat? Grain. Stuff. Yeah?

Anyway. Takes more than just color. Consistency, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »

Read the whole thread. Read various articles, read the blogs themselves. Wow.

The concept is insane in the most positive manner possible. The concept of a healthy, homebrewed sludge of all the needed nutrients and foodstuffs without any "unknown" chemicals, the relatively cheaper money price compared to regular meals, the cheapness of not having to mentally decide what food you want to fix and eat and have to clean up afterwards etc. It's all something I'd easily get behind, because it'd give me more time to do more important and productive activities.

Then it turns out Rob reports a higher mental efficiency by drinking the stuff? He has better concentration, alertness, motivation, everything? Hell yes. Sign me up.

Only issue with starting it is atm it looks like it's unstable and a hassle. If you make a bad mix or get slightly too much of something it blows up in your face and possibly your colon and makes you feel crappier, I don't like that little risk. Is there gonna be some official release of a mix or something?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »

Yes. In fact, some of the 200+ kickstarter options would send you some. Like, a months worth for 200? So if you donated money you would be able to get some -now-.

At any rate, when it actually releases it'll be cheaper than that.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2013, 08:55:50 pm »

It wasn't a kickstarter, but he did a crowdfunding campaign where his goal was 100k.  He ended up making 800k.  He's continued taking pre-orders since and has made over a million.  He's been using that to start mass scale factory production of the stuff, which is supposed to begin this month.  Backers will supposedly be receiving their first shipments by the end of this month, and he hopes to have it commercially available soon after.  There's been some talk of doing online subscriptions so that you receive periodic shipments of the stuff in the mail.  I think the last I heard, he's aiming to price it somewhere around $2/meal.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:26 pm »

How does he define a meal?

Is that like 3 meals a day?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »

How does he define a meal?

Is that like 3 meals a day?

$6/day is the figure I've seen most recently.  I went ahead and extrapolated that to $2/meal on my own because it just seems easier to relate to.  Of course, everyone has been using the stuff differently.  Some prefer to down their whole day's worth all at once and be done with it.  Some water it down more and then drink it steadily throughout the day.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2013, 10:28:58 pm »

Looking into some of the other "fan" recipes this seems like an easy cheap test run of it.

I do not have the 200 bucks to donate for a month's worth of the official stuff, and as yet I don't really want to. Would rather test it out first.

Man, this concept is kinda mind-blowing if it works. School days, college life, workdays would all be so much easier just by chugging a glass of soylent in the morning. So much less mental strain from having to think of meals and such, calculating a budget, etc. More free time, less time spent preparing meals or cleaning up or getting ingredients. Sounds awesome in theory.

Did anyone try that recipe Jimmy posted earlier in the thread? the thing with the slimfast or slim-whatever?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »

Then it turns out Rob reports a higher mental efficiency by drinking the stuff? He has better concentration, alertness, motivation, everything? Hell yes. Sign me up.
Do note that he attributes this primarily to his previous normal diet being absolutely terrible rather than the new one being SUPER SPECIAL. He just guesses many others unknowingly (or knowingly) have pretty bad diets too.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2013, 10:45:52 pm »

I'm sure the majority of people here in America, at least, have a really horrible diet. At least, where I'm from, where the diet is our local burger place, McDonald's, Panda Express and methamphetamine.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:49 pm »

My diet isn't terrible, but it isn't great.  I'm sure I would see improvement.  It also makes a pretty big difference that you're giving your body all its nutrients in the easiest format to absorb possible.  A lot of people have commented that after living on soylent for just a couple days, they become very aware of how taxing the process of digesting normal food is.  I'm pretty sure that build up of metabolic waste is one of the biggest contributors to the aging process.  Who knows how much of a benefit significantly cutting down on that could have.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

Plus, he said he added nootropics to it. Mental drugs. That might explain why he feels the way he feels. Not just nutrition.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38