Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17312 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »

So that means we are forbidden from making some criticisms???
Nope.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »

Then what was the purpose of mentioning that it's an alpha?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:59 pm »

Those problems will almost definitely be rectified.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2013, 02:34:00 pm »

Those problems will almost definitely be rectified.
Which are usually addressed after certain criticisms are brought forward...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:22 pm »

I haven't actually played the game, but from what I have seen/read about it, what about a 9x9 square of electric floor, 9 walls below it, and then a solid row of more electric floor that turns on instantly when you step over it. Then set a dog off to the right and one either above and below, such that, as soon as you step on the grid, you must follow an *exact* movement pattern, or else one of the dogs will flip a switch before you can reach the safe, and fry the whole grid.

With the row next to the grid, and the limited inventory, there is no option other than to brute force it, but enough red herrings can be inserted into the pattern that it is next to impossible.

This is all assuming, and from what I have seen it is true, that when you move horizontally, dogs in the same column prefer to move horizontally as well, and the same for vertically.
Eh?
Eh!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:01 pm »

Hey folks, Jason Rohrer here, the guy who made this game.

Someone emailed me and asked me to join the thread, so here I am.  I'm really busy preparing for GDC, but I'll try to pop back in here from time to time over the next few days.

To answer the one question that came up so far:  no, there is no way to rotate anything (so the inverter switch always has to have the trigger on the top).  I did this to keep things as simple as possible in terms of user interface.

The developer is in here. Hopefully after GDC he will show us some more love and we can question and converse with him
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2013, 06:05:40 am »

I haven't actually played the game, but from what I have seen/read about it, what about a 9x9 square of electric floor, 9 walls below it, and then a solid row of more electric floor that turns on instantly when you step over it. Then set a dog off to the right and one either above and below, such that, as soon as you step on the grid, you must follow an *exact* movement pattern, or else one of the dogs will flip a switch before you can reach the safe, and fry the whole grid.

With the row next to the grid, and the limited inventory, there is no option other than to brute force it, but enough red herrings can be inserted into the pattern that it is next to impossible.

This is all assuming, and from what I have seen it is true, that when you move horizontally, dogs in the same column prefer to move horizontally as well, and the same for vertically.

From my limited experimentation, I've found that Dogs/Cats have a preferred direction of movement when they have more than one option. For example, if you are both below them and to the left, and they can move either down or left, they will always chose to move down.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2013, 10:04:22 am »

I think those lame combination locks would be best fixed by adding tools like motion scanners and EM scanners.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »

Coupon code so you can get an extra $3 off (buy before Monday). First come, first served: V7REL5NUFX

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »

:C

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:37 pm »

Hmmm I'm not sure I like the blueprints for houses.... I mean the element of surprise is now gone and the ability to creatively wire up the house to the extent that you can't figure it out looking at a blueprint is crucial.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:23 am »

Good news guys. The dev is back from holiday and is updating the game.

Lets get to building houses. I need people to rob please!

EDIT:

Building material has been reduced in price, so you can get to building a nice little defense with your starting income which is cool. Wired wooden walls are also back. Metal does not yet conduct though.

Also, you can give your wife a shotgun to protect herself with, and any intruders killed nets you a bounty that increases depending on how many places they have robbed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:36:05 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:37 am »

Loving the new wife shotgun change, shame there's only one other active player on with me right now. Still, it's nice to see this little gem being worked on. I had a lot of fun with CD during the height of the megavault craze (even managed to crack one after many attempts for a total of $30,000 and five paintings, but then I got frustrated with all the uncrackable stuff (vaults that would have taken a minimum of 100 guesses, if you were really lucky). Anyway, I'm back to playing this now. I will own all the paintings!
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2013, 07:55:44 am »

Yeah, I really like how there is now a motivation to lure players deeper in and then kill them so that you can collect their sweet, sweet bounty. Then you grow stronger. It's like the little shop of horrors or something.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2013, 08:16:09 am »

I will pick this back up now. what major changes have been made ? and can we still get house blueprints ?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17