Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17316 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So it wasn't enough that my wife was dead, they had to kill my grieving kids and break the glass on her grave.

Didn't even attempt to rob me, just killed, smashed and left.

I just.. I don't know anymore.

(And it doesn't help that their bodies are in inconvenient grave making positions!  >:[)
I successfully robbed your house without using any tools (after dying once; don't feel too bad).  ;D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »

My house is the one where you start in a 2x2 square surrounded by electropads incidentally.

I think the building damage being permanent in some cases is a good thing, and no ones trap is ever impossible you just need the right tools and time :P
It's true that no system is impossible when it's first made.  However, it's possible for damage to make a system is completely impossible.  I'll try and make an example to demonstrate what I mean.

Initial setup:
- There's an electropad directly in front of the entrance.  It starts unpowered, but it's rigged up in such a way that it would light up on the first turn... if a voltage weren't going into its system and preventing that from happening.  That means that the system is possible at first and you can get it approved as "fair".
- The vault is setup such that there's a very tempting looking steel wall.  The first entrant into the vault breaks this steel wall and gets to steal from the safe.
- However, destroying this steel wall broke a circuit.  The electropad now does turn on turn 1.  There are only two possible moves turn one: walk forwards or walk backwards.  If you walk forwards you die.  If you walk backwards you give up.  No items can help because the only thing you're adjacent to is an inactive electropad.

I think the current top house uses some variant on this trick.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

Just bought this :D Would you guys be interested in me doing a LP? Not sure how many LPs of this game there are.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:04 pm »

Just bought this :D Would you guys be interested in me doing a LP? Not sure how many LPs of this game there are.
Honestly, watching people playing this game is extremely boring for me. However, you shouldn't do LPs because people watch them, you should do them because you enjoy making them. If you think you'll enjoy the game more by recording some of your experiences with it, then you definitely should.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

Holy shit I just jacked three paintings from a guy.  Lesson: never have the crucial set of electro-pads in your house be powered by a single exposed steel wall!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:30 pm »

Holy shit I just jacked three paintings from a guy.  Lesson: never have the crucial set of electro-pads in your house be powered by a single exposed steel wall!
Speaking of paintings, anyone please tell me if you see Real Art by Edmund Mcmillen and the name of the person who has it. I've been keeping an eye out for days, barging into the wealthiest of homes and checking the auction house frequently, and haven't seen it once since I briefly had it in my possession. I must have that ass.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »

Initial setup:
- There's an electropad directly in front of the entrance.  It starts unpowered, but it's rigged up in such a way that it would light up on the first turn... if a voltage weren't going into its system and preventing that from happening.  That means that the system is possible at first and you can get it approved as "fair".
- The vault is setup such that there's a very tempting looking steel wall.  The first entrant into the vault breaks this steel wall and gets to steal from the safe.
- However, destroying this steel wall broke a circuit.  The electropad now does turn on turn 1.  There are only two possible moves turn one: walk forwards or walk backwards.  If you walk forwards you die.  If you walk backwards you give up.  No items can help because the only thing you're adjacent to is an inactive electropad.

I think the current top house uses some variant on this trick.
Wouldn't you just short it out with water?

EDIT: If you were killed by it I mean?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:16:49 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

You can't short out an inactive electropad (you should be able to, that would solve the problem).  In that setup the electropad doesn't become active until you take your first move - stepping on it.  And then it's too late to use water.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2013, 07:17:34 pm »

You can't short out an inactive electropad (you should be able to, that would solve the problem).  In that setup the electropad doesn't become active until you take your first move - stepping on it.  And then it's too late to use water.
I see. What about explosives? (I haven't played this game before)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2013, 07:32:39 pm »

Doesn't throwing or using things take a turn? What about tossing a brick somewhere, then shorting it?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2013, 07:36:32 pm »

Doesn't throwing or using things take a turn? What about tossing a brick somewhere, then shorting it?
You need a target to throw a brick, and the electric floors are usually rigged so that they only activate when you're on top of them (setting up a system based entirely on time is a lot more cumbersome and less beneficial).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »

Wouldn't this problem be solved by expanding the doorway one tile?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:44 pm »

The problem is that these types of traps are often much longer than one tile, to the point where even if you used all of your tools to widen the hallway, you couldn't complete the whole thing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2013, 08:05:18 pm »

1. You can't expand the doorway.
2. Its the burglar's problem, not the owner's. He can just edit the trap out.

EDIT: Was I reading that correctly? :o Did I misunderstand?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »

1. You can't expand the doorway.
2. Its the burglar's problem, not the owner's. He can just edit the trap out.

EDIT: Was I reading that correctly? :o Did I misunderstand?
I meant if the developer made sure there was room to move in the doorway and force time to pass.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17