Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17307 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »

I don't think the developer should do anything of the sort. Traps like that add a whole new level of depth and complexity to the game. No matter how unforgiving or impossible to thwart they seem to be, it is important to remember that all houses are possible (initially) and that you are not required to burgle every singe house you see.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »

The problem is once they are burgled they become unbreakable.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »

No house should be literally impossible to burgle though, and with the current setup (houses can be damaged and then left "on the market" in spite of not being approved) that happens.

The grates thing isn't as bad, but the thing is you can render every item useless with grates that trigger when people walk on them.  That seems to sortof go against the spirit of the game, which is that your opponents may be able to thwart your brilliant trap through clever item use - now their only chance is to play along with whatever ridiculous password system you have in place.

e: I'm pretty sure someone is attempting a brute force attack on my house.  I say to them good luck!

Also thanks for all the wire cutters and blowtorches.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:34:03 pm by Leafsnail »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »

A easy way to solve this might be that when the house is tested, the movements are uploaded to the server which,after every time the house is robbed, and there is a change, then it is automatically retested using the pattern uploaded. If it does not work, the house is taken down until it is fixed. Also dogs and cats should reset there position after the person robs it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »

That's a great suggestion actually.  You can get rid of the exploit while not affecting the majority of players (although I suppose if you have a combination lock style level sabotaged it would probably be taken down).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2013, 04:39:14 am »

My house is the one where you start in a 2x2 square surrounded by electropads incidentally.

How can you even build that?

It won't let me proceed unless there's a clear path for the family to reach the burglar and get killed, without even any pressure plates or electropads in the way. I tried to build a panic room with a powered door for them to hide in, and it removed the done button and refused to allow it. What is this I don't even?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:42 am »

My house is the one where you start in a 2x2 square surrounded by electropads incidentally.

How can you even build that?

It won't let me proceed unless there's a clear path for the family to reach the burglar and get killed, without even any pressure plates or electropads in the way. I tried to build a panic room with a powered door for them to hide in, and it removed the done button and refused to allow it. What is this I don't even?

Presumably, Leaf's family is dead; or they're standing in the 2x2 square.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2013, 05:00:35 am »

If you still got some free copies, sign me up!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2013, 05:26:49 am »

Sadly this game is starting to annoy me. IF the house has anything worth taking its an impossible to break into house with those damn combination locks or its one where the player has set up the house to instakill you the moment of enteri g cause they went afk an to logged you out which in fact puts your house on market. HOW DO I KNOW. I tested it myself. Total BS atm. And if its not one of those houses its one with only 100 I the bank and a fuckton of pitbulls that makes not even that 100 worth it...

And when it comes to protecting your family. FORGET ABOUT TRYING this game just has no true rewards to eve  attempting to keep then safe. Sure if your not on and she is alive she earns you like 200 an hour. But tbe moment that you get that someone notices your place and comes in and kills her. Besides as by proof of the top houses. It apparently better to kill them off straight away so you can build traps right against the doorway and not have to spend cash trying to delay their easy to wait for death. Not eve  a swarm of pitbulls can save them as they can just put the dogs to sleep and be safe while waiting for them at the door...

There are just too many flaws when it comes down to it and the point of the game gets boring the richer you are cause your not going to go out and try and rob someone because death is instant. And the moment you have that perfect house there isnt anything to spend money on now...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:32 am »

One house I went in had four dogs that just charged the door. How did the guy manage to complete the testing phase?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2013, 06:41:10 am »

One house I went in had four dogs that just charged the door. How did the guy manage to complete the testing phase?

Houses don't always reset after someone breaks in; if they kill the wife or get to the vault (I think, the exact details are hazy) the layout doesn't reset. It's possible the dogs were dragged there by a previous robber.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:06 am »

Presumably, Leaf's family is dead; or they're standing in the 2x2 square.
Yeah.  Ironically killing the family can make the level impossible - I have to go back and fix it if that happens.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2013, 08:40:39 am »

Yeah, its becoming increasingly clear that the game at current is not capable of being interesting for very long.

There needs to be a fixing of the ability to make literally impossible houses, as well as more ways to spend money when you get rich.

This might be a bit out there but how about either some kind of clone chambers, or goon employment or whatever. A way to go and try robbing people without the fear of perma-death. You just need to have a thousand dollars or something. Some way to encourage people to take the giant risk that is involved with robbing decently made places.

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »

Guys,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:08 pm »

Guys,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So that means we are forbidden from making some criticisms???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17