Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42010 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2016, 03:24:10 am »

I bought this during the winter Steam sales, and jeebus is it difficult. Is it easier with other people? Because I'm the only person I know of among my friends that owns the game and I have yet to get past stage 4, and I've only actually reached that stage once.
Yeah, very much so.  My first co-op game (and my friend's first game period) we won despite myself having like a <10% win rate.

There are some classes that are heavily luck based without friends.  The enforcer is a support character who can't survive well against enemies that can hit him with ranged attacks from behind.  The sniper and mercenary have bad damage and a hard time advancing through the game quickly enough on their own.  There's probably more I'm not deeply familiar with.  I hate having to press the attack button tons of times so I tended towards characters that prefer a few well placed attacks.

If you're having trouble, engineer can win the game no luck required and is basically overpowered (albiet easy to mess up with due to no escape).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2016, 06:15:41 am »

I bought this during the winter Steam sales, and jeebus is it difficult. Is it easier with other people? Because I'm the only person I know of among my friends that owns the game and I have yet to get past stage 4, and I've only actually reached that stage once.

I never played with other people. I consider it very much like Binding of Isaac where you're really not expected to beat the game in your first dozen tries, before you unlock more items that can be found, more characters, and generally are more familiar with the game. And even once you are familiar, you're still somewhat reliant on luck in terms of item drops.

It is simpler than BoI, in terms of item interactions and enemy variety and doesn't have as much replayability, but falls along similar.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2016, 08:10:36 am »

Yeah, very much so.  My first co-op game (and my friend's first game period) we won despite myself having like a <10% win rate.

There are some classes that are heavily luck based without friends.  The enforcer is a support character who can't survive well against enemies that can hit him with ranged attacks from behind.  The sniper and mercenary have bad damage and a hard time advancing through the game quickly enough on their own.  There's probably more I'm not deeply familiar with.  I hate having to press the attack button tons of times so I tended towards characters that prefer a few well placed attacks.

If you're having trouble, engineer can win the game no luck required and is basically overpowered (albiet easy to mess up with due to no escape).
Huntress was the easiest for me, hell, that was the first character I unlocked after a very long hiatus with the game, and the first game with her I got my first win of the game.
Also, you take that back about the sniper, he is amazing in single player*.
*Though I mostly just like him for the test of skill.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:28 am »

It's hard at first but it gets easier the more you play.

Playing on an easier difficulty helps. I remember first playing on Monsoon when I wasn't even familiar with the controls and I got rekt in the first level by standard enemies.

Using a controller helps, in my opinion. My limited experience with the pc controls tells me that they suck and only make the game harder.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2016, 11:05:41 am »

The game is pretty easy once you unlock Sacrifice and Command, tbh :P

More seriously, it's pretty hard at first and most of my runs still die before they get to the final stage, some enemies (archer bugs and mechanical spiders are the most annoying shit ever) can fuck you over if you're not careful.

I'd say the game is harder in co-op because you can't share items, so you need to build much more carefully.

That said I only have one legit win and that is with the loader. For the later stages things like Frost Relic are really good because they let you mow through enemies with only a few kills, but they're pretty useless against bosses.

I've only won twice without silly artifact shenanigans, though, so...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2016, 12:39:10 pm »

It's hard at first but it gets easier the more you play.

Playing on an easier difficulty helps. I remember first playing on Monsoon when I wasn't even familiar with the controls and I got rekt in the first level by standard enemies.

Using a controller helps, in my opinion. My limited experience with the pc controls tells me that they suck and only make the game harder.
I dunno, I fall flat on my face using a controller... and I use a controller for isaac/darksouls.  I think the attack buttons are poorly laid out on some controllers though.
Nom nom nom

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2016, 01:39:18 pm »

Some of the classes are bullshit, and the item drops are definitely bullshit. The enemies are most certainly bullshit.

Here's the Basic Lowdown Of Things To Know:
if you spend lots of time in the first levels trying to farm, you're going to die later. Speedrun the first 3 levels or so - grab two pieces of gear, kill the boss and get out.

No matter how well you play the game will often just deny you anything useful.

Gambling sucks, spend money on something you're guaranteed to use.

It's been jokingly suggested, but I really did enjoy the game much more using the command module. Google it if you wish. Along the same vein, any game with Boar Beach is a virtually guaranteed win. Google that as well.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2016, 02:11:30 pm »

I dunno, I fall flat on my face using a controller... and I use a controller for isaac/darksouls.  I think the attack buttons are poorly laid out on some controllers though.
If I recall correctly I think you can remap controls to other buttons. Haven't played in a while, I could be wrong.

I use an xbox 360 controller and all the skills are mapped to the trigger buttons. Convenient for being able to jump or use items with the x/y/a/b buttons while still being able to hit skills.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2016, 08:45:03 pm »

Some of the classes are bullshit, and the item drops are definitely bullshit. The enemies are most certainly bullshit.

Here's the Basic Lowdown Of Things To Know:
if you spend lots of time in the first levels trying to farm, you're going to die later. Speedrun the first 3 levels or so - grab two pieces of gear, kill the boss and get out.

No matter how well you play the game will often just deny you anything useful.

Gambling sucks, spend money on something you're guaranteed to use.

It's been jokingly suggested, but I really did enjoy the game much more using the command module. Google it if you wish. Along the same vein, any game with Boar Beach is a virtually guaranteed win. Google that as well.
My experience is that the success of a run hinges mostly on not drawing Sunken Tomb as the third level; it takes disproportionately long to clear, its the only level that's a one way loop and the enemies are tough as balls.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

I am in love with artifact with glass. I only do runs with it.  :P

Glass + infusion = too op
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2016, 08:52:46 pm »

My experience is that the success of a run hinges mostly on not drawing Sunken Tomb as the third level; it takes disproportionately long to clear, its the only level that's a one way loop and the enemies are tough as balls.
I disagree. Once I knew the layout I found it pretty straightforward and simple. Run through the loop from where you started until you find the teleporter, activate the teleporter, then leave when finished.

The mountainous level Ancient Valley is worse than the Sunken Tomb, in my opinion. All that climbing, with one wrong jump and you're back at the bottom, with wide space between the two mountains and the teleporter could be anywhere between them or on top of either.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:49 pm »

I disagree. Once I knew the layout I found it pretty straightforward and simple. Run through the loop from where you started until you find the teleporter, activate the teleporter, then leave when finished.

The mountainous level Ancient Valley is worse than the Sunken Tomb, in my opinion. All that climbing, with one wrong jump and you're back at the bottom, with wide space between the two mountains and the teleporter could be anywhere between them or on top of either.
The fact that I mainly play singleplayer sniper might influence my opinion somewhat...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »

The fact that I mainly play singleplayer sniper might influence my opinion somewhat...

I like solo sniper too.  :P Especially with glass and command on.

Any character I play would find the sunken tomb teleporter in the same process, going from where I started through the loop clockwise until I either find the teleporter or get to the top, where I check both sides, and if still not found, keep walking clockwise until I either find it or get back to my start, in which case I missed the teleporter and go through the loop again.

Ancient valley I just kinda go from one side to the other, but climbing and platforming there can be a pain if I didn't get some mobility items.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:58 pm »

If it weren't for the crashes, I'd play this more. Sadly, I get too involved in a run and forget that if I kill too many enemies at once, the resulting enemy explosion crashes the game.

I keep falling through the floor :/
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2016, 02:58:43 pm »

dont forget that the hyperthreader item leaks memory.

i was once playing sacrifice + glass + command for thirty minutes to farm out stuff so i could just mow down enemies and accidentally took the hyperthreader which killed my performance :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20