Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42026 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

It depends I guess if this is a game where all the classes are meant to be more or less equal.

This could be one of those where score is kept on a per character basis.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 07:54:56 pm »

WAHAHAHAH!!!
IS THERE SPOS TO BE 5 BOSSES ON THE SCREEN AT ONCE!?!?!?
Facing 2 Giant Jele, A Magma Worm, 2 Giant Golams!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 07:58:43 pm »

Well Giant Golems arn't ones that can follow you.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »

I'm not even activating the Teleporter thats the thing!!!
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:26 pm »

Well there's your problem. If you just run around and never activate the teleporter, endless enemies(including bosses) will spawn and the difficulty meter just keeps on rising. Not to mention once you clear out all the power ups on the level you can't get anymore items unless you kill some bosses or go to the next stage. At higher stages, multiple bosses will spawn almost as soon as you start the stage, that's another reason it is important to activate the teleporter because after 90 seconds the mobs stop spawning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 12:30:46 am »

Well there's your problem. If you just run around and never activate the teleporter, endless enemies(including bosses) will spawn and the difficulty meter just keeps on rising. Not to mention once you clear out all the power ups on the level you can't get anymore items unless you kill some bosses or go to the next stage. At higher stages, multiple bosses will spawn almost as soon as you start the stage, that's another reason it is important to activate the teleporter because after 90 seconds the mobs stop spawning.

Mind you in my oppinion the secret to getting to really high levels is to intentionally stay on a level and kill the random boss spawns while they are weaker.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 12:57:04 am »

Mind you in my oppinion the secret to getting to really high levels is to intentionally stay on a level and kill the random boss spawns while they are weaker.

Farm them for their items. Hadn't thought about that.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »

Well I just died from doing something stupid. The same thing I always do to end a long run, I jumped into a group of what looked like 2 or 3 mobs but probably was more like 12 or 13 mobs. It's hard to tell because they just sort of stack over each other. Not sure if anything can be done graphically about that but really its just better to be safe. But that's hard to do after you've been on an 80 minute run and pretty much feel invincible. A large group of mobs disguised as a small group of mobs on top of one another can do quite a lot of damage..

Here's my last run on hardcore:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »

Just died in my most successful game.
After you get to a certain point you know that you are going to die eventually. The reason for this is that your health caps out at 1500 (ignoring sheilds), while enemy damage doesn't cap at all, so if you get into a position where you take damage from 4-5 of them at the same time due to falling into a group off a giant ledge or climbing up a rope ladder into them, they kill you instantly.
[activate bragging mode]
By the end each colored enemy had at least 10,000 health (and sometimes more then non-colored bosses) and dealt ~500 damage per attack. Bosses spawned 3 or 4 in 15 second intervals, after which there was usually a small break between them. Colored bosses had ~35k health. I think I was on level 3 for the fifth time.

I dealt ~5000 damage per second, and healed 500 HP per second (if attacking any of them at all), due to knockback once I started firing no non-boss was able to damage me at all (since even golems got pushed back to the ledge and permastunned within seconds). Frequently the golem bosses would slowly walk towards me and die before even touching me. Even though bosses spawned super fast, it wasn't really a issue since they usually died ~5 seconds after they spawned. Regular minions didn't get in the way of them dying either, since they got pushed back to the ledge, while the bosses are knockback immune.
[/deactivate bragging mode]
I ended up dying by jumping into a group of enemies that I was sure would attack slightly earlier and instantly taking massive damage.

Now, the reason for my success is quite clear: At the end of level two I got a item that allowed crits to reduce ability time for 1 second each.
With low crit and attack speed this usually ends up taking a second off your ability cooldowns. At slightly higher crit and attack speed levels this ends up reducing the cooldowns to about 1 second with 1 second variation (so 0-2 second cooldown for abilities). Once you get great crit and attack speed, you can permanantley use all your abilities. I could just hold down the V key, and use my suppressive fire forever. This gives you massive single target damage. If you get some anti-crowd items (electric ukelele, the explosive shot, the drill) you do massive damage. Add the stun item (as well as AOE effect items) and you permastun and perma push back all non bosses. After that its just scaling up damage by adding more weapons.

If I hadn't gotten that item I doubt I would have survived past level 3 the second time.

Spoiler: Save Image (click to show/hide)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 03:32:32 am »

Any tips on how to kill the bosses???
I have been trying to get through the portal as fast as possible but I always seem to reach the first one in level one when the difficulty hits Medium or Hard and then it reaches insane while trying to take down the boss...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 05:49:16 am »

My tips:
Be the commando. Although the miner has greater damage for ~90% of the game as well as knockback on basic attacks vs a wider range of enemies, the fact that he can only attack in melee is a real problem (especially since it conflicts with the healing on attack item), especially VS the golem, magma worm, and the ancient wisp bosses. Now, you can get to level 3 with the miner, but its far tougher, and he is a far worse character.

Explore the level and open all the chests (and use the chance to get items until the chance costs +50$ each) as fast as you can. Then rush to the exit portal and use it.

If you get the mines/missile barrage active you can deal tons of damage very rapidly. However, I strongly reccomend the active healing ability, the fact that you can go from near dead to healthy instantly can save your life, and helps a ton. The money maker is also fairly good for grinding money during the first level (although you will want to ditch it after getting some money). The others aren't quite as good.

If its a golem boss, just stand far away and use your abilities as soon as they come off cooldown, and dive through the boss when it gets close. Ideally stand just a bit up on a ledge, but sometimes it spawns where you can't find a safe spot to shoot it. Fairly often enemies spawn too fast for you to be able to damage the boss through them, in which case you simply have to come back and fight it once enemies stop spawning.
If its the jellyfish just stand in it and shoot. When it shoots out orbs just run away a bit using your dive for a few seconds, it doesn't actually do melee damage (although getting the full burst of orbs hurts quite a bit).
The magma worm is tougher, but just use your burst+railgun as soon as it comes up, then run around for the remaining time till it come up again.
Wisp is basically the same as golem, but you need to stand far enough away that it can't hurt you, since its pretty dangerous.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:59 am »

Wow, this game is awesome. After failing a few times I ended up playing a 90+ minute game. I had so many items/drones/money that everything just melted. My attack speed was so high that my basic attack outdid suppressive fire (because of that small gap between uses).

In the end though, I got stuck on the top of a rope and couldn't move. I watched as all my passive damage and regen chewed through a couple dozen jelly fish bosses and jelly fish swarms spawned by stone golem bosses. I died hanging just below a pile of items.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »

Yeah here is the thing about supressive fire... It isn't very good >_>

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »

Got some good tricks, though, and it's solid up until your plain shot starts shooting faster. Neatest thing I've noticed about it is that it apparently has some drop. Get a bit back and fire at a tall critter on a ledge below you and some of the shots might hit small critters you normally couldn't land a hit on. Helps a bit with clearing off those impacted ledges, heh. You can also jump while it's going off, which took me a while to notice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »

and it's solid up until your plain shot starts shooting faster

And crit rate since knocking enemies back is extremely vital in this game. If it counted as a "Basic attack" for a few of the item abilities it would still hold up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20