Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210963 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1860 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:43 am »

D5 is best turnfighter. Or biplanes.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »

so I read a guide about energy fighters and managing energy and stuff

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now, it will not be a record setting, but that's triple my average battle income.

Energy "knowledge" its the basic knowledge of any good pilot, with that and a basic understanding of your plane and your enemies planes you are above 80% of the players. Thats why you know some one is terrible when they dont climb after takeoff, and thats why you should always engage from highest to lowest enemy (each high flying pilot is worth 2 or 3 of the ones ground attacking, chasing AI or easy targets down low.)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 20, 2015, 07:36:12 pm »

well, knowledge and having a fast plane. everything outruns 'muricans tier II, except the lightening and one of the F-number-I don't remember

all other are pushing 500km/h in matches where the others go at 600+

at least now I got a p47 unlocked.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 21, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

Had some fun in sim tanks today, after watching the Jingles video on how SPAA was rather nice in sim, remembering that SPAA has many bullets to miss with, and then seeing that unless you where German then you had to wait about 20min for s Simtank battle, I went as the T1 german SPAA, and wound up in a battle with no aircraft and 120 rounds of 40mm penetrating ammo, and proceeded to come out with two kills.

Next game: Died to invisitank. Stuck in trench for 5 min. Died to a bridge.
 Or rather, the 2in drop between the edge of the bridge and the road. From a full health, mostly fully modded vehicle.

-Edit-

Lateron, I learned (again) that arty strikes can kill aircraft that get too close.

I also learned that when flying in an event aircraft in arcade tanks you count as a different player, making it possible to get teamkills on yourself.
Say, by calling arty on a place and then flying an aircraft close enough that it gets damaged by it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:12:29 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:21 am »

Im starting to get a feeling that the tank balance is really off... Ive now unlocked everything in Pz IV F2 and Pz III L in about 40 battles+sim and realistic) of which there were only 2 victories. Kill ratio over 2:1 for both. Took me 2 days, no prem.

Those Shermans just keep receiving penning hits(apcr vs. PzGr39 doesnt seem to matter) and not die and once I finally achieve something(if I dont die early as one-shot) my teams are already mostly dead.
 :-[

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 22, 2015, 06:42:08 am »

So ah... just got this for the PS4. Having mixed results so far, played mostly with American planes (P-40 is the best plane I have so far with them, I think. Tier II) the Germans (loving my Bf 110) and a little of the Russians (I want that IL-2!)

Anyway, seeing as how I'm very tired and don't want to go through 125 pages of stuff, any links to n00b guides, or general advice for newer players?

Most of my good runs were through luck, I think, and if I ever get into anything at all close to a dog-fight with another player, I generally lose.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:19 am »

Im starting to get a feeling that the tank balance is really off... Ive now unlocked everything in Pz IV F2 and Pz III L in about 40 battles+sim and realistic) of which there were only 2 victories. Kill ratio over 2:1 for both. Took me 2 days, no prem.

Those Shermans just keep receiving penning hits(apcr vs. PzGr39 doesnt seem to matter) and not die and once I finally achieve something(if I dont die early as one-shot) my teams are already mostly dead.

Pretty much my impression too. If you're up against Shermans you need to be really lucky to be able to pull of win.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 22, 2015, 08:34:21 am »

This is actually a somewhat historical issue; German shells travelled at high velocities and achieved good penetration numbers due to that, but needed to be built for high velocities. That meant very thick shell walls, severely limiting the amount of explosives they could fit inside them. They used the best explosives of the war, but 18g of RDX compound in the 75mm PzGr 39 doesn't match up well to the ~150g of TNT the soviets had in their 76mm shell, and the Americans had only slightly less than that in their 75 and 76mm shells. Plus, WT treats everything as plain TNT, rather than modeling the superior explosive power of the RDX compounds the Germans and Americans used.

Compounding the issue is the fact that tank crews would generally bail out after a penetrating hit, not stick it out until all but one of them are dead or the ammo/fuel goes up. WT's tank kill system is something of an ahistorical nerf to german tanks, but I doubt it's going to change, and I doubt there'll be any german buffs to make up for it. After all, that would be completely against history.

As for APCR, that does sound odd. What sort of damage are you doing once you penetrate?
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 22, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

It shouldnt be that was as in a game out of historical scenarios the tanks should be balanced by their in-game performance, right? (imbalance is fun to no one)

Going by what is discussed on the forums, wt gf seems to overemphasize explosive contents meaning. Also it seems the german gun pen values are again compared directly to others despite test methods having been different. German vs. soviet fighter plane turn time tests come to mind...

What kind of damage do I do? Almost nothing usually, enemy crew members at times survive a shell hit through them and engine and ammo need to be hit several times. Easiest(not least risky though) way to kill a Sherman seems to be just shooting the driver until it runs out of crew. 5cm L60 needle gun vs.  one-shotters is fun. :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 22, 2015, 09:45:25 am »

So murrican tanks are OP and have apparently been OP since the start ? Good, when I restart war thunder I know that I will stick to planes.

I was having a certain interest in the German tank destroyer in tier II. I hear it penetrates (holy batman freudian imagery) kills everything and anything with it's godly gun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:04 am »

Marder 3? Its alright. Personally, I think the americans are meh. I also think the russians are mostly meh. Of course, the only tanks I really do well in are the T-60, T-70 and T-80. Hell, I once sat in a capcircle with two enemy KV-1s and arty raining on my head and survived long enough to let my team kill them.

I do quite like the panzer3 and the light tank the germans get.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:19 am »

I like those tanks that can go 60 km/h in tier two. It's fun to just cross half of the map and pop in the enemy's rear.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 22, 2015, 01:07:00 pm »

M5/T-80/T-34/German light tank?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 23, 2015, 04:05:39 am »

Marder 3? Its alright.

Nah, the one in the Elefant line. The second one. I think it has either a 75mm or 88mm gun.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 23, 2015, 04:22:59 am »

Moved to play in a squad with 3 others and finally had some good games as Germans. Especially this: Poland, 8 vs. 8 in simulation, we had 2 Marders and 2 Pz. III Ls. I ended the match with 7 kills and an assist without dying and the squad I believe scored all 16 kills.

What was especially ridiculous(compared to previous experience any way) was one-shotting a nearly horizontally from my point of view speeding M4 with my 5cm L/60 from 1200 m away - apparently I hit his fuel tank and the fire cooked his ammo seconds later. Later the other Marder driver killed another M4 from over 2000 meters away. Get some!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 163