Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210962 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1845 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:12 am »

Nope, I'm rolling there in my tiger, keeping under the tree line until bombers are landed hard, then mopping up t34s

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:13 am »

Yeah, I tried that event. German side was outnumbered by about four players, but our side had six Tigers to start. Was looking forward to watching some carnage in my Panzer IV F2 (just watching, because my gun can't do shit compared to the Tigers) and then red team launched half the VVS on us. IL-2 came and wrecked my face.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: January 16, 2015, 06:59:27 pm »

I tried arcade tier 1 at BR 1.0.

There are still hurricanes and Yaks and LaGGs and BF110's but it's actually fun.

In three matches I even got a Terror of the Sky award.

Starting to like them little He51's. They are tough (yes really), out-turn everything (maybe not Ki-10's) and it's hilarious getting pilot kills on Hurricanes.

Maybe I should add one TWO Falcos in my biplane lineup though. Worth going 0.1 or 0.2 BR, I believe.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: January 17, 2015, 09:55:57 am »

I haven't played Arcade in a long time, but that sounds about how I remember it. And Sim tanks is the only way to go.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: January 17, 2015, 02:30:01 pm »

Been driving my Russian Sherman in the sim event a fair amount, it's a great way to play the game. Just wish I were slightly better at spotting tanks in ambush, most of my deaths are from not noticing a tank and it putting a shot or two into a critical location.

Still, if I can brawl I generally come out on top (American 76 ammo is actually good now!), and I generally kill more than I die. Really good event, hope they do more.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: January 17, 2015, 05:10:37 pm »

I mostly die to planes there, the open map makes tigers silly op, also I am getting good at estimating distances and I can generally get the first shot to hit within 1.6km with he

It also help I'm paying with my brother so we only need to cover 100° or so each.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:54 pm »

One thing I've been getting angry about recently, how do you lose tails, and prevent them? If someone is tailing me, I can do loops, dives, dodges, lose my speed, move erratically, yet they're always behind me, hitting me every few seconds, with my teammates nowhere to be seen?

Once I managed to make a guy overshoot, but before I managed to regain speed and actually aim at him, he's already turned around and knocked my pilot out.

Also, what I really hate is that you are marked when you are behind terrain.

hf losing a tail when they can just see where you're going all the time
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: January 17, 2015, 06:21:39 pm »

One thing I've been getting angry about recently, how do you lose tails, and prevent them? If someone is tailing me, I can do loops, dives, dodges, lose my speed, move erratically, yet they're always behind me, hitting me every few seconds, with my teammates nowhere to be seen?

Once I managed to make a guy overshoot, but before I managed to regain speed and actually aim at him, he's already turned around and knocked my pilot out.

Also, what I really hate is that you are marked when you are behind terrain.

hf losing a tail when they can just see where you're going all the time

That depends of the plane's turn radius. If you can't out-turn him, flee (if you are faster than him) or make him overshoot (if you have rather low speed/energy)

Also overshooting tends to work.

Preventing people getting on your six is just a matter of being aware of your surroundings. Look around you, on top/bottom of you and on your sides. Numpad will help to move the view.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: January 17, 2015, 06:52:12 pm »

No, you don't want to turn tight. Thats for avoiding obstacles. You want to turn quick! To get rid of someone behind you, well, if hes out of guns range, you can use higher top speed if you have it. If you cant, things get more complicated and will involve turning of some kind. Make him overshoot, use better turning speed(if you have it), try to force him into scissors.

Turning is mostly a defensive maneuver unless if by turning you can get to shoot the other guy without doing it for minutes. Often though you just have to if you are outclassed in speed and in poor position(defending). Typically you want to avoid turn fights and scissors at all costs because they are very risky. You typically lose altitude all the time, will have to keep your eyes on that one enemy only(and if there are more, you couldn't do a thing about the others any way) and if things go south you're unlikely to escape as you are well in guns range and likely low altitude.

When your planes are faster than the enemy's you can also do "drag & bag" with a friend: let the enemy chase either of you, preferably out of guns range, while the other one shoots him down. If the enemy evades, the plane that was initially chased is likely to get to shoot from an angle. Rinse and repeat.

(yeah I realize there is kinda limited space in WT so many real life tactics don't work to the fullest... which is one of the reasons why I'm currently playing tanks only)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: January 19, 2015, 12:47:59 am »

My only recommendation is learn how to use energy to your advantage. Even in a non-energy fighter like a Spitfire if you can manage your energy you can usually beat the players you'll go up against in RB. I can't speak to SB, though.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: January 19, 2015, 06:07:24 am »

All fighters are "energy fighters" - energy and positional advantages should always be the ones you try first. Turning is nice yes, but presumably everyone knows how each involved aircraft turns compared to each other so for one to actually get to use better rate of turn, an advantage of some kind is required any way. That, or you turn to avoid getting shot at so you're already defending.

Spitfire is actually very good at climbing which makes it good for vertical fighting and is(relative to opposition) fast at high enough altitude thanks to that big wing and ability to achieve its top speed at a higher altitude than most Bf 109s or Fw 190s, so the speed gap is smaller or nonexistent above 6500m.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »

Turn fighters are almost universally very light, so they're generally far better at climbing than the conventional energy fighters, which are heavy and slow to get up to altitude.

The main thing that makes turn fighters turn fighters is that their design either is built to minimize energy usage on a turn, so they can basically keep turning forever without significant speed loss, or they're built to exploit energy usage on a turn as efficiently as possible, so they can very easily turn in on someone but they eventually run out. The difference can be easily seen looking at the Spitfire Mk I or II, both of which use very little energy as possible, versus the Mk V, which burns through energy quickly but is the single quickest turnfighter in the game, even giving the Zero a solid run for its money... as long as the Mk V has enough energy left not to stall.

The Bf 109 and the Aira/Kingcobra are both good planes to learn about optimal energy usage. They're what I like to call 'light energy' fighters, because they have the small size and light weight of turn fighters, and can actually pull a good turning radius, but they're generally pretty dependent on good energy control for good performance. They're useful for transitioning to later tier Japanese and British aircraft, because both of those nations ended up going the energy route as their heavily turn fighting based air rosters became increasingly outmatched by energy fighters.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: January 19, 2015, 12:30:18 pm »

Its not the weight that makes a turner, but wing loading and thrust-to-weight (power to weight) ratio. Mostly. A large wing also reduces AoA to get a certain lift from the wing which reduces induced drag(but the sheer area increases parasitic drag) which is partly why the large wing planes like Spitfire are slow in thick air but pretty good up high compared to thin winged fighters. As a side effect there is also less "energy bleed" in a turn (because of that lesser needed AoA and generally having more lift).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: January 19, 2015, 05:59:39 pm »

so I read a guide about energy fighters and managing energy and stuff

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now, it will not be a record setting, but that's triple my average battle income.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: January 19, 2015, 09:43:33 pm »

Earned the first soviet light fighter, a monoplane.

Celebrated by immediately smacking it into the ground as it wasn't as maneuverable as the good old biplanes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 163