Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211002 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1770 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:49 am »

Yeah, I had that happen before. Both intentional (dive just over a hill, drop bomb) and unintentional (kill lawnmowing plane from 3 km up).

Most of the time I do end up blowing off my own wings in such a maneuver.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 31, 2014, 07:12:40 am »

Tier 2 IL-2 is pretty damn good, yes. It's not the lolufo the Ishaks are, but it has good armament (although those VYA-23's are not that powerful), very good toughness, turns on a dime and it has such low stall speed you can turnfight everything.

Except them ishaks. Fuck them ishaks. They are tougher than heavy fighters, they outclimb everything, turn pretty damn well too and have good armament.

I never actually use it in ground attack though. Hence I load full rockets and have fun with them.

Also the buffalo is ridiculously good. Not ishak good, but IL2 good for sure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:16:44 am by Naryar »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 31, 2014, 08:26:29 am »

So im playing realistic tanks and got killed in poland in a tier 2 german game... so no problem i can play my FW-190.

Starting at the airfield and no enemy aircraft in the air so far so i keep climbing to get the 2 AI bombers circling around the town but just as i reached 2000 meters and just as i began turning towards the bombers i saw a LA-5 and IL-2 both flying NAP... so since i'm the interceptor fighter i turn at the IL2.

HOWEVER

The IL got shot down by a friendly tank and the LA-5 turned towards me.
I abandoned the dive and went vertical hoping the LA will stall out.... and he did but not before he go less than 700 meers away from me and fired a few (missed) shots.
From NAP to around 2 km almost vertical!

But the story does not end here. i try turning back at the AI bombers after killing him but again i'm interrupted. this time by a Yak-9 obviously freshly spawned at the airport climbing at me at a rather steep angle... so i try to energy starve him by climbing myself but at 3000 meters he was just 500 meters away from me. at this point we're both energy starved so i decided to dive. after all FW should be faster in a dive right? Well nope! He was not only keeping up bu actually catching up. The only reason i survived was because a teammate spawned in a BF-109 took him out.

Damn them magical russian planes...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:45:54 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »

How is that magical, dude? If he was at around the same altitude as you, it's not hard to theorize that you were both going at around the same speed. Trying to stall out an enemy never works unless you're BnZing them.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 31, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

Arent Yack-9s a zoom and boom fighter?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »

Arent Yack-9s a zoom and boom fighter?

Flutter @ 720 km/h of IAS not stronk BnZ fighter make.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 31, 2014, 12:53:08 pm »

Ah, I always forget what is what...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »

Sonlin: you may have accidentally dropped your speed pretty low while he was staying at or near 280-300 kmph IAS. Even if you were only 50 kmph slower that'd have allowed him to keep up with you for some time. You just probably mis-estimated the situation a bit. An intact Fw 190, any of them, has no problem getting away from any Yak that isn't a 9U or a 3 with the VK107 engine(you need a D-series Fw 190 to get away from those at low altitude).

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »

How is that magical, dude? If he was at around the same altitude as you, it's not hard to theorize that you were both going at around the same speed. Trying to stall out an enemy never works unless you're BnZing them.

I was at slightely over 2 km.
Realistic battle tank maps have airfields relatively close to one another (probably less than in arcade)
Climbing over 2km straight after leaving the airfield is Peter Pan grade magic.

Anyway.

Magic trick no.1
Russin 37 mm fridge launcher is attacking tanks but notices german plane 2 km above and starts flying at it. Not climbing somewhere secluded but just point the cursor on the german plane and press "W".
Fridge launcher not only gets closer to the FW190 but actually manages to get into shooting distance and stalls literally at the last second before ripping the FW (that started out higher) a new one)

Magic trick no.2
Plywood russian plane being faster in a dive than a metal german plane designed for BnZ with the german plane diving from a higher altitude.
Self promotion below.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 31, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »

shooting range isn't actually very close. Climbing maybe, let's say 2 kilos generous before stalling, with full deck level speed? entirely possible.

metal isn't always heavier than wood, especially when building planes.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »

Russian planes have antigravity machines installed.

They're not made of Stalinwood (with a few exceptions like the IL2) or have USSR laser cannons (actually germany>russia in weaponry, with the exception of the I-185's), but they climb life mofos and hey i've been climbing the fastest I can in my goddamn Bf109, why is there a Yak 1 km above me, nevermind the ishak just behind.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:34:41 pm by Naryar »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 31, 2014, 04:15:20 pm »

Ok, I'm taking a break from Ground Forces until they balance the US tanks. Cause seriously, fuck that 105mm Sherman with a rusty nail. And while we're at it, fuck all those Shermans coming to meet my Panzer IIIs and early IVs. Shit should be facing Vs and Tigers.

And fuck Tigers, because any time I play Soviet tier II, the entire goddamn enemy team is nothing but Tigers. Might as well just leave vehicle, "gg" at the start.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: December 31, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »

I havent seen one tiger and I am playing with the high end tier two soviets...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 31, 2014, 05:03:00 pm »

And fuck Tigers, because any time I play Soviet tier II, the entire goddamn enemy team is nothing but Tigers. Might as well just leave vehicle, "gg" at the start.

Don't use teh KV-1 Zis-5.
It has a high battl rating and get's to see tigers more than it should.
Self promotion below.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 31, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »

The gun on it's perfectly capable of handling itself against the Tiger, though, as long as you can flank. Actually managing to flank, though, is its own nightmare, though I did manage to take down 2 of the damn things when I was alone with 4 of them, so it's not impossible.

As for the American tanks, Gaijin's having to consolidate the fact that their armor is soft and weak and their guns are, for the most part, not very good with the fact that their armor is actually pretty damn good because of sloping and their guns are actually pretty damn good because they can fire on the move relatively accurately and they have a few guns that are absolutely devastating.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 163