Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211102 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2013, 09:35:23 am »

I've been having a lot of fun, inexplicably, with the Ju-87s lately. The G-1 with the dual 37mms is basically a sniper rifle in the air. You get a shot in on almost anyone and they're dead. It's slow, it's fragile, light on ammo, but if you can get your nose pointed at anything before it gets within firing range of you, and you've got ammo, you've got a good shot of taking it down first. Absolutely amazing at hunting heavy bombers as well.

The one before that on the tree, with an actual bomb load and dual 20mms turns out to be really good as well. I just had a domination game where I basically did nothing but fly circles over our side's base and shot down anything that got close. Kept dropping my bombs when they popped up to give me a bit of extra agility, but I was truly surprised at how effective those 20mms were on almost anything I got in my sights. Might require a few more shots than the 37mms, but you get plenty of ammo to play with and bombs to actually drop on things if you can find a target.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »

The problem is that if you like the ju87g becouse of its "troll" abilities you have a me410 with a 50mm at around the same level and the plane is 10 times better overall, if you like the 2x20 you also have a me410 with 4 or 6 (i dont remember) 20 mm canons.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2013, 06:04:32 pm »

If there's anything I don't like about this game, I'd have to say it's matchmaking. While lower-tier planes are perfectly capable of bringing down big bad high-tiers (especially the Americans, who start and end with powerful, if eventually outgunned, 50 caliber guns from reserve to tier 20) which is a nice change from tanks where all too often shots just plink harmlessly off sometimes, the fact that you get to go up against planes from a later and deadlier era means that enemies can easily shred you if they so much as get lucky sometimes.
Nothing important here, move along.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »

In historical you used to get bad match making level wise but it was becouse of the number of players, in arcade tough? i never seen such a thing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:07 pm »

I've seen matches like that. Of course once you hit planes with cannons most engagements are resolved in the first volley or two.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2013, 11:39:44 pm »

The problem is that if you like the ju87g becouse of its "troll" abilities you have a me410 with a 50mm at around the same level and the plane is 10 times better overall, if you like the 2x20 you also have a me410 with 4 or 6 (i dont remember) 20 mm canons.

Eh, it's not so much the troll abilities, if that were the case I'd just play russians exclusively. Anyway, yeah, I'm well aware of the 50mm on the 410. But the JU-87 is a bit more maneuverable than one of those dual engine bomber-cum-heavy fighters. It's not all that fast, but that makes it perfect for base defense. I'm eager to try the 50mm, but I'm thinking it'll be better suited to ground attack. The 37mm, while packing quite a punch in the air, just don't have the penetration to do a lot to anything on the ground that can't already be taken out by MG's or lesser cannons or light bombs. Light pill boxes seem to be succeptible to 37mm fire, but it seems to take more than 12 shots, which requires you to go into a reload and wait until you can finish it off (if you're in the g-1 rather than the g-2), leaving it open for a kill steal by another aircraft and you vulnerable to enemy aircraft.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2013, 11:58:54 am »

Things I have learned about dogfighting with American planes in Historical Battles.

1. Always gun the throttle. Just, always. You will not turn faster by trying to slow down, rather you will soon drop out of the sky like a brick and lose valuable seconds trying to right yourself while the person you were trying to shoot down is filling your plane with lead.

2. Get an A-20G. No, seriously. Shooting down planes with this thing will teach you everything you need to know about dogfighting with American models.

3. If you can't out-turn them, you can probably out-run them. If you have to, gun it straight and low until you're a bit away, then turn around and fly back at them to shoot them down. If you can't out-turn or outrun them, try and vary altitude a little bit and force them to waste all their ammo on you (the 'instructor' for mouse aim is an idiot and has a hard time going from a turn to a climb or dip, especially the latter), or just keep them chasing you until they mess up, give up, or someone else gets them off your tail.
Nothing important here, move along.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2013, 10:13:48 am »

So stupid BuriBuriZaemon got me addicted to this. I was wondering whether we could start setting up a little community playing this, like what's happening with Guns of Icarus. I don't care what we play, I just want to play with fellow B12s.

Add me in-game, I'm Anvilfolk, as anywhere else.

Is it worth creating a Steam group?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:08 am »

So stupid BuriBuriZaemon got me addicted to this. I was wondering whether we could start setting up a little community playing this, like what's happening with Guns of Icarus. I don't care what we play, I just want to play with fellow B12s.

Add me in-game, I'm Anvilfolk, as anywhere else.

Is it worth creating a Steam group?
I'm game for this weekend. What sorts of planes have you got?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2013, 09:27:58 am »

Add me on Steam or in-game, should be on for part of the weekend!

I'm lvl 5-6 US and trying to start levelling up Japan. I'm kind of a PTO guy. The others are all level 0 or 1 :)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:30 am »

I'm real fan of Soviet planes, already got Pe-3/E some crew upgrades for 100 premium units, and a fan of bombers as well. If there's gonna be a game this weekend, I'm in.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:07 am »

Damn, I'm looking at some footage of 1.33 and... Well, those jets look very nice.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:34 am »

I care not for those modern planes!

Props man, props are where it's at! There's a reason people say "fat props" and not "fat jets"!

True story!

Let's all start adding each other. Again, I'm "anvilfolk". Perhaps we can create a B12 squadron?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2013, 10:53:43 am »

Squadrons are hella expensive....
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2013, 10:57:36 am »

I'm not on right now, I will be on quite a bit later. Damn Timezones. Around 12 or so hours.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 163