Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2116720 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #6075 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:54 pm »

People talk about engineers being bored and you want to take repair jobs away from them?
Do you know how few engineers would agree to walk out into a bomb testing range with an armed mass accellerator pointed at it?  very few when I play.

Build a wall in front of the mass driver and never have to fix the bomb range ever again.

You suddenly made me miss the days when Toxins was on fire every single round. These were beautiful days.

Ah, the joys of taking a tank out of a canister without turning the valve closed.

Any sane RD would take over toxins and wreck it so nobody else could use it.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: May 26, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »

Wait. Genetics swaps genders now? That's retarded.

I mean, I get how it might accidentally duplicate the X chromosome, and lose the Y... maybe. But how do you accidentally go from XX to XY? HOW?
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: May 26, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »

I mean, I get how it might accidentally duplicate the X chromosome, and lose the Y... maybe. But how do you accidentally go from XX to XY? HOW?

With SCIENCE!

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: May 26, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »

Oh also I think everyone is in favor of reverting genetics back to its old state?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: May 26, 2013, 04:45:17 pm »

Question:
why is there no such thing as a chem dispenser circuit board?
apart from the obvious shenanigans (could avert via needing CMO permission to open a restricted box?)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: May 26, 2013, 04:48:30 pm »

Question:
why is there no such thing as a chem dispenser circuit board?
apart from the obvious shenanigans (could avert via needing CMO permission to open a restricted box?)
To promote jobs having to depend on other jobs, and whatnot.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: May 26, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »

There is a lack of many circuit boards. So.... don't break things. Defend them with your life.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: May 26, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »

Circuitboards are silly. You know, with the advent of TG's system, I expected to be able to research how to make things like space heaters, for one, which there is almost always a shortage of, can't get via cargo, and is generally good to have around even if for the sake of making your office a cozy 60 degrees Celsius, even despite the only piece of fluff it gets being it made by the space Amish (then we can make our own, reverse-engineered version, if so inclined). Instead, we get the ability to build lag-inducing portable generators which are only a viable thing at the mining outpost or a well supplied cargo bay. This being only one example.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: May 26, 2013, 05:15:27 pm »

Long arm deletion on the second X chromosome.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: May 26, 2013, 05:20:24 pm »

I personally think that there should be a way to make absolutely everything ever, but that the more valuable objects should just be harder to make, whether by being hard to research, requiring things from two or more disciplines, or both, or even other stuff like 'requiring ridiculous amounts of resources' or 'being an utter pain in the ass'. Like SMES cells requiring highest-level research in several fields, two dozen power cells, a plasteel frame, and diamond to etch the circuitboard.
Nothing important here, move along.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: May 26, 2013, 05:30:55 pm »

Oh also I think everyone is in favor of reverting genetics back to its old state?
OH GOD YES. Anything other than having all junk genes and disabilities.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: May 26, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »

I'd just like the old way to tell whether or not someone has powers to be back.  Never being able to tell if you can survive open space without actually jumping into open space sucks balls, I mean you'd think that far in the future, when we ALREADY know what certain genes can do when present, that in the future they'd have a manual with a list of possible mutations and shit for each block.  ((Also it's totally unrealistic to have the blocks have random effects, that is just NOT the way genetics works.  Having it the old way with different defects and powers in the blocks was even pushing it, but for the sake of gameplay there should be some sort of pattern to it all.))
Nom nom nom

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: May 26, 2013, 06:26:11 pm »

Oh, the cult round. The sweet, sweet cult round. I want to draw a comic of exactly the events that happened:

1. Cynri fails at being mech, but no one needs her anyway so it dosen't matter.

2. Cynri believes she has appendicitis, dosen't, gets culted.

3. Cynri breaks into Chem. Cynri makes drug foam grenades.

4. Cynri walks next to her more religious, more rune-happy Cultist brothers and sisters with a primed drug grenade

5. Suddenly boom.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: May 26, 2013, 07:13:19 pm »

So, you can only work Genetics if you magicooly know all the bad blocks (which is pretty meta, really)? Instead of, say, doing RESEARCH?

It's really not hard, but you have to be systematic, keep a backup of a clean SE and just test each block for its effects like a researcher you are.

The amount of good and bad blocks is exactly the same, so it's not like that changed, and as for not being able to modify blocks - max power and 4-5 duration seems like a good combo that will not be a blind shot on a random block (duration 1) and yet is short enough to not bore you to death (duration 15).

Also, step one: find the only high block on the freshly handpicked money - that's step two. Step one is MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND HEXADECIMAL. Unless you do, you will never know what all the letters mean, and why 0F0 is lower than 100. Then find the high block in the monkey's DNA and irradiate it until it turns human.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: May 26, 2013, 07:27:35 pm »

If you wanted to overhaul genetics to make it more realistic AND fun, you'd:

A] Cut out the randomized "does the gene change" check where you click 15 times trying to get a gene to D+.
B] Remove the notion of gene blocks entirely.
C] Change genetic manipulation from point alteration to cut and pasting.
D] Massively increase the number of genetic symptoms.

Our symptom list is: All of the virology symptoms, slimeness, nearsightedness, seizures, coughing, Tourette's Syndrome, nervousness, TK, Hulk, Cold Resistance, X-Ray, Blindness, Deafness, Clumsiness, Strangeness, thirteen traits for Blackness, Blueness, Greenness and Redness of the Hair, Facial Hair and Eyes several traits for skin colour, a trait for maleness, and ones for whatever new genetic info we add.

Each is randomly assigned a 2 letter hex codon at round start out of the 256 possible 2 letter hex codons.

Each copy of a codon you have gives you a chance to manifest the associated gene. If there are multiple genes for a single trait (such as for hair colour) each that manifests is applied in sequence. For example, each Hair Redness gene you have makes your hair one step more red. Species (Virus, Monkey, Human, Xenomorph, Changeling, etc.) is determined by the length of your genome. Humans have a genome length of 42, Monkeys have 40, Changelings add their absorbed DNA onto the end of their current genome to become bigger and bigger, but have their appearance determined by the first 42 (or 40, if a monkey) and shuffle their genomes around as they transform. Viruses have genomes that can be analyzed by the virologist and inserted into genomes in genetics. If you have a virus codon, you have the effects of that symptom genetically. Slimes and slime people have the slime genome which makes you a Slime Person if you have a genome length of 42 and a Slime if you have some other number.

Instead of an emitter that randomly alters the genes at a point, you get two tools, the Genetic Extractor, which cuts out the gene you've selected and adds it to the end of the string in the  Extractor's buffer, and the Genetic Splicer, which inserts the contents of the Extractor's buffer at the selected location.

Genes aren't block based, so the string 243AD codes for codons 24, 43, 3A and AD all at once. With whatever results that brings you.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1654