Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2123390 times)

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2370 on: March 27, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

Android is apparantly against moving research to the asteroid. Could've said that when we hadn't put a lot of work into it.

I would have said something earlier, but I was under the assumption that you were only adding stuff on the asteroid, not removing from the station too~ It make potential antag objectives much harder. Plus noone has really given a good reason for this other than 'it'll be fun.'
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:50:22 pm by Android »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 27, 2013, 03:03:14 pm »

Android is apparantly against moving research to the asteroid. Could've said that when we hadn't put a lot of work into it.

I would have said something earlier, but I was under the assumption that you were only adding stuff on the asteroid, not removing from the station too~ It make potential antag objectives much harder. Plus noone has really given a good reason for this other than 'it'll be fun.'

This is fair. I can agree with that. But, a research outpost on the asteroid, just a small little three or four room thing, might be interesting.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 27, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »

oh, also: extra sorry for the screwdriver accident. I really, really didn't mean to do that (well, I meant to kill you. but only that)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »

I sort of stand in the position that we shouldn't add anything unless we play for long enough and deem it needed. There's not much need to add in new things unless people start demanding it useful. Besides, wouldn't we have issue updating /tg/station code if the maps are different?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »

I sort of stand in the position that we shouldn't add anything unless we play for long enough and deem it needed. There's not much need to add in new things unless people start demanding it useful. Besides, wouldn't we have issue updating /tg/station code if the maps are different?

The issue is updating our map to include updates TG does to the code or their map. The only strictly code problems we would have would be if TG changes filepaths. But as I've said, incorporating map changes or filepath changes in this manner really really sucks on our end.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: March 27, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »

Maybe if you give Atmos Techs some hardsuits, they wouldn't be totally useless. After a bomb goes off or something, they could be tasked with fixing the pipes, and restoring the atmosphere.  The thing is, there's just so much overlap with station engineers.  Anyway, I don't see any reason to get rid of it, but I also would never pick it as a job.
Atmos techs exist because there's a hell of a lot to the atmos tech position, as well as to the engineer position. Splitting the workload between engineers (who deal with the wiring and physical structure of the station) and atmos techs (who deal with scrubbing the air, restoring pressure-lost sections, rebuilding piping and disposal sections, checking the air supply, creating "safe" gas mixes, etc.) is a good thing. Of course none of that says both station engineers and atmos techs can't have access to each other's areas.

As for hardsuits, why? There's no reason they should ever be outside the station, and that's what a hardsuit is for. Now, some kind of pressure suit, sure. But you don't need a hardsuit for that, just give them a few space suits like the ones in EVA.

They're supposed to be firefighters too... but how often does a fire happen that's not a station ending disaster?
This is a problem with the lack of actual fire-fighting tools, not with the atmos tech position. How many firefighters do you know that rely on emergency fire extinguishers to deal with fire?

Even aside from antags, the more I think about this... how often do people on the main station interact with people on the mining station? I mean besides the folks in cargo and the occasional scientist. And now we're going to move the scientists off-station too? We'd be isolating yet another group of players from RP possibilities, not to mention making the potential hazards of slime outbreaks and station-shattering explosions irrelevant to the rest of the station. That might make sense from a corporate PoV (that is, the PoV of a corporation other than Nanotransen, 'cause they obviously don't care), but it doesn't from a gameplay one.

At least not with our current population. If it continues growing it might make more sense.

So like, EVA tethers and personal radar? The existence of such devices (which btw I have no idea how to code :( ) would make separate station section less trouble for antags, as getting from point A to point B via EVA would be a smidge more reliable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:25:09 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: March 27, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »

Massive holes all over the station from a mad bomber and the singularity was released. I put on a mining hardsuit, board the mining shuttle with Star Reade, and send it. The singularity was right on top of the mining shuttle dock when it came and we died instantly.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 27, 2013, 04:20:14 pm »

Massive holes all over the station from a mad bomber and the singularity was released. I put on a mining hardsuit, board the mining shuttle with Star Reade, and send it. The singularity was right on top of the mining shuttle dock when it came and we died instantly.

This is what the mass driver is for. You'll find the asteroid eventually.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 27, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »

This is what the mass driver is for. You'll find the asteroid eventually.
We were returning from the asteroid. Heaving ourselves off of it MIGHT work...

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »

So when will the server be updated to have the new parts and me auto set to be a coder?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: March 27, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »

Maybe have it set on the same Z level as the station, just have it set off a little ways and connected only by a couple of long easily sealed bridges. That way it can be easily quarantined if shit hits the fan, and it would also be harder to break into, while still allowing people to easily go back and forth.

And think about it, if you would miss the socializing, the same has to be said for the miners. They can have spend literally hours on that rock, sometimes completely alone. I can see why some people want to give them some company over there.

Edit: and now that I think about it, why IS mining all alone on another Z level? couldn't we just have the station be in an asteroid field and having a mining section on the main station?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:24:02 pm by Kaitol »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:29 pm »

It certainly would be interesting to have the gateway be something other than singulo-fodder. Even though it only has that job when said thing has been loose for far too long.

Edit: and now that I think about it, why IS mining all alone on another Z level? couldn't we just have the station be in an asteroid field and having a mining section on the main station?
Meteors (and possibly other doomy things, but certainly not antags planning to sneak over there) only affect the station z-level.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: March 27, 2013, 07:46:05 pm »

Redfox told us to bug vactor about fixing the gateway.

DO EET! Maybe make it admin activate-able only so we don't end up with people leaving the station every round.

Why would he do that?  Its an unfinished TG thing, I've got nothing to do with it.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: March 27, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

Kirby rivers is to EVA what axl blyant is to robustness.

I stunned him on the asteroid, a good 10 -15 tiles from the airlock. stripped him naked. then he gets up, walks back to airlock, picks up revolver, shoots at me ( still naked and in space), and only then he walks once again to airlock to get back in. then he collapsed, apparently going critical.
Well, he lived. that man is a walking hardsuit.

congratulations to AI for the door idea.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:50:51 pm by andrea »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: March 27, 2013, 08:55:12 pm »

Redfox told us to bug vactor about fixing the gateway.

DO EET! Maybe make it admin activate-able only so we don't end up with people leaving the station every round.

Why would he do that?  Its an unfinished TG thing, I've got nothing to do with it.

It does actually work, as we figured out on Android's server the other day, but you have to tweak it a bit. I believe (don't hold me to this) that the reason it hasn't been fully implemented on /tg/ is that there aren't many maps made for it (like 7 or 8 ) and of those, about half are broken completely. Although, the exile implants do work, and the beach Z-Level would be a decent place to be exiled to. But really, if we're sticking this close to /tg/ it's not worth implementing. Unless we have enough dedicated BYOND coders to make our own branch, as was suggested in the OP, it's not going to happen until /tg/ does it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:54:52 pm by Glloyd »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1654