Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168099 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20-Stable, 22nd Dec. 2014)
« Reply #915 on: January 20, 2015, 05:25:36 pm »

It seems that stags all have a psychic connection, in which after they get isolated, they choose a spot and all converge on it and make tracks go in every direction, then either disappear, merge into one stag who walks away, or congo line out of the place. Because after chasing a stag, they make their way to a clusterfuck of fresh stag tracks and I can find 4-5 tracks leading into it, but MAYBE one leading out.

And after cornering 2 reindeer on a mountain and having them vanish into thin air right in front of me, I have to lean towards them disappearing.
I'm fairly sure they actually run in circles to confuse the tracks; the one track leading out is the one you need to follow.  That said, I tend to have problems with cursorial hunting, too.  I tend to fail more often than not because I lose the tracks.

You have multiple tracks leading into one big mass of tracks, meaning multiple stags ran to one spot and all circled in that spot. Yet only one track leads out. No matter how you look at it, this is wrong. It can't happen. It's more like the game generated these tracks without the stags to make it difficult.

And after cornering 2 reindeer on a mountain and having them vanish into thin air right in front of me, I have to lean towards them disappearing.

They are faster than you (especially when panicked, they can get 5-6 tiles per turn), so most propably they ran behind you and thus out of your sight range.
That's what I thought, but turning around saw nothing, and I was on a mountain so I had a massive sight range. I zoomed out all the way and no reindeer to be seen....

Speaking of mountains and reindeer. Can they jump down the mountain ledges that you normally have to climb? I'm thinking of trap fences and mountains as a hunting strategy.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 23, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »

Well, had another odd hunting event. I am chasing this elk with 2 spears stuck in it and a limp, and it's still faster then me running but whatever, and I am follow it's tracks only to find that they just stop in the middle of a field. I start searching for tracks and find one more saying it went southeast. I go southeast but see nothing. Ok, it must have switched directions. I walk all over the place around the ends of the tracks, nothing. I have to resort to walking in a spiral pattern outwards starting from the last set of tracks using my tracking ability all the time. Nothing.... There are no other tracks anywhere near the end of the trail. The elk disappeared along with my 2 spears.

So it seems that the part of the game I am most interested in, hunting, is unrealistic and possibly bugged, and all my motivation for playing is gone  :(

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20-Patch1, 14th Jan. 2014)
« Reply #917 on: January 29, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »

How do you get shutters to face the right direction? I've re-built this section multiple times now, but it always tries to face left instead of up.

I tried two orders. The first attempt, I had the left corner built, but not the adjacent wall to the right of the shutter tile. On my second attempt, I had both the corner and the wall already built before attempting to build the shutter, but it still faced the wrong way.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 29, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »

Once you build a floor/roof on the tile you're standing on it will correct itself.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 29, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »

Thanks!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 30, 2015, 03:20:14 pm »

Well, had another odd hunting event. I am chasing this elk with 2 spears stuck in it and a limp, and it's still faster then me running but whatever, and I am follow it's tracks only to find that they just stop in the middle of a field. I start searching for tracks and find one more saying it went southeast. I go southeast but see nothing. Ok, it must have switched directions. I walk all over the place around the ends of the tracks, nothing. I have to resort to walking in a spiral pattern outwards starting from the last set of tracks using my tracking ability all the time. Nothing.... There are no other tracks anywhere near the end of the trail. The elk disappeared along with my 2 spears.

So it seems that the part of the game I am most interested in, hunting, is unrealistic and possibly bugged, and all my motivation for playing is gone  :(

Hmm, I thought that at first, but the more I did it, the more it seemed that the only cheating the animals do is magically stopping their bleeding.   But it does seem that they don't just disappear, however they will backtrack over their own tracks sometimes, and certain types of ground are much less likely to show tracks than others. 

The hunting part of the game was the most fun for me too.  The combat is just... dumb.  An ultra skilled warrior with a super high quality spear gets his ass kicked by a housewife or two...  "You miss with your skilled strike, the housewife counter attacks and kicks you in the head! You fall unconscious... you die"

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 30, 2015, 06:01:59 pm »

Sounds like she got a lucky hit. Always wear your helmet when slaughtering villagers. :D

Hmm, I kinda want to build some benches and tables outside, but it doesn't look like there's any way to mod out the "must be inside" requirement. Deleting the [indoors] tag from the biy file does nothing.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #922 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:09 pm »

Villagers are also not complete pushovers, even the "housewife." Which isn't unrealistic, considering the setting. An average woman from that era would much stronger than the average woman from this day and age. Just things like washing clothes and fetching water was strenuous activity. And just because they're a villager doesn't mean they don't have combat skills. The way the game works with encumbrance, even average combat skills on a character who is completely unencumbered and rested might equal your superior skills if you're tired or weighed down in armor/gear.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:11 am »

Me and a friend just released a graphical overhaul mod, it replaces every real-life picture with drawings(including portraits), and lots of new sprites.

Check it out if you want: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017
Spoiler: Preview screens (click to show/hide)
---

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 31, 2015, 12:39:37 am »

Hmm, I thought that at first, but the more I did it, the more it seemed that the only cheating the animals do is magically stopping their bleeding.   But it does seem that they don't just disappear, however they will backtrack over their own tracks sometimes, and certain types of ground are much less likely to show tracks than others. 

Nope. You are underestimating how much I searched for tracks. The surrounding area was plains and I must have searched every tile in a 20-30 tile radius. Gone. It didn't double back either, no mixed tracks. I was close behind it so I don't it would have even been able to get past me without me seeing it.

I've had another instance where 5 tracks (one which I was following) lead into one big mess of tracks, and after examining them for a while, I found 5 tracks going in, and one set of tracks going out. So that would mean that 5 stags ran into that area, then either all disappeared, or ended up congo-lining their way out of the area. The hunting is without a doubt broken. If you need more convincing, then whenever you lose your prey, take some time to study the tracks. Search all over the place and figure out where everything went. You will encounter things that don't make sense.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:25 am »

Me and a friend just released a graphical overhaul mod, it replaces every real-life picture with drawings(including portraits), and lots of new sprites.

Check it out if you want: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017
Spoiler: Preview screens (click to show/hide)
---

That looks absolutely amazing! The only thing that looks off is the stag sprite, looks a bit too wolf-like. But the rest... holy cow, that is madly impressive. Kudos to you both for doing such an amazing job!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 31, 2015, 07:43:16 am »

Very impressed by that graphic overhaul mod.
Great work !

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 31, 2015, 11:52:35 am »

Yeah, I'll have to grab that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 31, 2015, 02:08:26 pm »

Found a misaligned sprite. :)

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:48 pm »

That looks absolutely amazing! The only thing that looks off is the stag sprite, looks a bit too wolf-like. But the rest... holy cow, that is madly impressive. Kudos to you both for doing such an amazing job!
Thank you!
What exactly is it that looks off about it?
Maybe it's because the horns aren't very visible in the screenshot, if that's the only impression you have, if you want to see it in-game you start with one if you choose the "Not all who wander are lost" starting scenario.

Made some edits anyway, lengthened the neck and the legs:

Found a misaligned sprite. :)

Oops! Here's a hotfix for now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/llm4rj7f0zu1dse/tile.PNG?dl=0
mirror: http://i.imgur.com/qugNihd.png (gotta rename it to "tile" if you choose this one.)

Very much appreciated as I don't have any established characters beyond the starting area, my ability to test is somewhat limited.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:23:22 pm by Rhazak »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76