Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168118 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.18-Beta3, 18th Dec. 2013)
« Reply #750 on: December 22, 2013, 12:40:25 pm »

Agreed.  I'd love a way to mark what is where on the map.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 22, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »

There is actually a guide to marking things on a map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 22, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »

That clogs the map and if you live like nomad e.g. me, then you start to get your caches mixed with your homes mixed with your hunting grounds mixed with your lucky fishing spot (I invariably have one of these and can rarely succeed at active fishing elsewhere).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:24 pm »

There is actually a guide to marking things on a map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think Gamerlord already mentioned how it's impossible to tell all those shelters apart.  In a long game, one is likely to turn The UnReal World into The ShantyTown World.

However there is a workaround:
Since both shelters and traps mark the map, you can create 9 combinations with one shelter and one trap.  Draw up a key, and you can mark what everything does.

For instance, I could designate on my key (a notepad document that you create telling you what everything means) that trap directly north of shelter means shelter cache of food.  And trap directly south of shelter could mean something else, such as shelter lucky fishing spot.

It still clutters up the map, making me wish I could make notes.  If I had a semi-long game, I'd probably take a screenshot of the map and write on it with paint or something.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 22, 2013, 02:12:05 pm »

Once again.

YOU CAN DROP STUFF ON ZOOMED OUT MAP AND SEE IT ON ZOOMED OUT MAP, AND PICK IT UP ON ZOOMED OUT MAP

Killed a bear but can't move with all those 300 cuts? Simple pick it up, zoom out, drop however many cuts you want and come back later, no need to mark with shelters, of course if your worried about getting completely lost and need the F6 map then you can mark it with a shelter or trap, don't need to only have 3 possible combinations (shelter, trap, shelter+trap) as you can drop anything on the zoomed out map so you can have shelter and rock mean mushroom grove or w/e you want, the combinations are astronomical.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 22, 2013, 02:35:39 pm »

As i've got enough smoked food in my cellar, and a lot more coming soon that is currently being smoked in a village (thank you to that Elk for providing) , i decided it was time to build my house in prevision to the coming winter.

I had already build one in a previous version, but either i forgot or if it's been changed in current version but it looks like building a tile of wall is now taking a complete day (as sometime you even stop due to being way too tired, not of fatigue that can be simply rested for a bit, but tired as you need to sleep before completion).

A good thing is that there was plenty of already fallen trees all around the river, so i was able to cut down a very lot on the tree cutting time (still needed to cut each trunk into a log) as a wall takes 6 logs (and so need 6 fallen trees trunk), but after building my 4th wall, i'll have now to start cutting lots more trees to complete what's remaining

Good that i started far enough from winter, as it will take a lot of days.
And good that i have a very lot of food, as you need to eat a very lot after each of those heavy wall building efforts or tree cutting/log carving
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:40:59 pm by Robsoie »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 22, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »

I kinda hate houses; kotas are much better looking.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »

To build kotas you have to have skins, and I've never managed to hunt with any degree of success. Houses take more effort, but are less needy if you haven't got hunting down. I know my last skin was got off an already dead small forest reindeer.
How do you hunt decently anyway? I try sneaky sneaking up on them, but I get discovered. Chasing them leads to nothing but hunger and disappointment.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 22, 2013, 03:44:11 pm »

To build kotas you have to have skins, and I've never managed to hunt with any degree of success. Houses take more effort, but are less needy if you haven't got hunting down. I know my last skin was got off an already dead small forest reindeer.
How do you hunt decently anyway? I try sneaky sneaking up on them, but I get discovered. Chasing them leads to nothing but hunger and disappointment.

There are a few ways, most of them involve shooting it once then chasing it until it falls over of exhaustion. Getting a dog helps quite a bit, since they can outrun most of the animals.

The right character is also important. Get one who can sneak really well, probably Owl Tribe, since they're small and good at sneaking. Level up your tracking skill, get a bow or some javelins, and then hope you hit it the first time. An important thing with chasing is to be persistent. It usually takes me a whole day to get a kill, unless you manage to corner them by a river or the coast, but as long as you at least manage to hit it once or twice, you'll get it eventually. Again, dogs help a lot here, although they have a habit of running off-screen and making it a pain to find them again.

I think that smaller animals run slower than the larger ones. So if you're hunting a herd of reindeers, go for the small ones, since they tend to fall behind.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »

The only way to have a reasonnable chance to kill anything while hunting is to get a bow and arrow as soon as possible.
Throwing stuff at a distance is not reliable enough (unless it's a squirrel that stay on a tree)

Sneaking close enough to any animal if you want to maximise your throwing chances without it waking up and running out of view very fast is near impossible unless you're insanely lucky, even at near max stealth skill they will hear/scent/see you and wake up alerted and even at near max stealth you'll still make some accidental branch breaking noise from time to time so the prey will know where you are.

Now my major and biggest problem is actually finding a prey on the world map, to me it looks like it's about complete dumb luck as i never saw any pattern to animals movement, they don't seem to go drink at water source (so patrolling areas around river and ponds does not give better chance from my tests) and it seems that spotting an animal away even from a higher ground can be near impossible , sometime you will see one, but most of the time you'll spend several weeks moving around and see nothing at all.

I got a stag and an elk from such dumb luck in my current run, litterally ran into them out of nowhere i didn't ran into any other animals (out of 3 squirrels, 2 hares) in a few of those game months spent hunting with my currently good hunter character.

Seems to me hunting in the game can be summed up at either you're lucky with whatever game rolls and find a prey somewhere, or you're not and will spend week without seeing anything alive around.

But be sure to have a bow and arrows, without those ranged hunting weapon, your chance of actually killing the prey will be very slim

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:49:45 pm by Robsoie »

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 22, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »

But be sure to have a bow and arrows, without those ranged hunting weapon, your chance of actually killing the prey will be very slim

You're forgetting javelins. They're actually pretty effective for hunting larger animals, they seem to hit harder than arrows, and they're less likely to get lost, since they have a short range.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 22, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »

But that's the problem : the range, to be effective with throwing you need to be at a short enough range, and getting there without being spotted/heard/scented is very luck based (as you can be noticed even with max stealth if you're not lucky).

While with bow i have been scoring some nice hit at a distance, that helps getting around the difficulty in getting close.

Now when it's about fighting , javelins are a good choice as the range will get closer and closer as the enemy is rushing at you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 22, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »

Actually, the best way to hunt is hire a companion.  When you find something, speak with your companion and order them to attack the animal (but you need to be able to see both your companion, who usually either spawn on you or behind you, and the animal, so you need to turn without the animal running out of the screen).  Your companions are able to run up and stab prey that you could never catch.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 22, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »

It reminds me when i completed the course for the 1st time with my current character, i ordered the recently acquired dog to attack that insanely fast hare.
I'm still waiting for Dogster to come back :D

Though it's been a month i wonder if it is possible to encounter that dog again during my many hunting patrols all over that region.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 22, 2013, 08:38:00 pm »

Since i learned the Hunter request to catch a fox ritual, it looks like my region has now several foxes.
Reading on the wiki it looks like that indeed this ritual will spawn foxes.

A great way to get some hunting going on (and get some fox skin&fur) when it starts to look more and more than the whole world is devoid of wild life except for a random prey popping up once in a couple of month.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76