Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 7192 times)

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 10:03:07 am »

because the elves sincerely deserve a better fighting chance
... You use it mainly because of the mithril elves get? WHAT HERESY IS THIS?!
Yes, but hear me out. Madness has a sense all of it's own: I am tired of dumping wooden weapons and armor all over the place, besides the fact that fighting elves ain't no fun anymore. Even dogs can destroy them most of the time, unicorns aside. Now at least they give something to feed to my Magma Smelters, Calcifer style. "Like a daemon the forges burn brighter, they devour their weapons and armor, chew them with teeth of fire, spew from their guts ingots of ire."
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:21:32 am »

because the elves sincerely deserve a better fighting chance
... You use it mainly because of the mithril elves get? WHAT HERESY IS THIS?!
Even dogs can destroy them most of the time, unicorns aside.
What did you expect from those weak, tree-fondling hippies?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33:07 pm »

pretty vanilla, with pheobus skin. no aquifers or cave ins, because I like to think that my dwarves aren't daft enough to cause them. if Im playing an older version with the lazy newb pack, ill turn exotic creatures off so i have migrant waves bringing me cave toads, Cave crocs and the likes and i can order them from caravans :P
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »

More often than not, people that make mods don't play that much beyond beta testing their own creations.

This is true.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

Masterwork Mod, with Ironhand graphics and Natural color set. I set the child cap to 0:0. I've done a lot of tweaking to the worldgen parameters; my worlds have abundant resources, very large and open caverns, no bogeymen, more megabeasts, more good, evil and savagery, and at least 200 volcanoes. I use medium regions; large worlds take too long to generate and find a site, while smaller ones don't offer enough variety.

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 01:16:47 pm »

I like adding the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag to various creatures to make the game a bit interesting...
This won't end well, it never does...

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »

I ran a couple of haunted glacier forts.  got one up to 150 dwarves (MASSIVE migration wave is to thank) and then had 5 bad-news events happen at the exact same time-I could probably have handled any 2 of them.

I've given up on haunted glaciers.  I'm switching over to haunted with a safe corner, and extra metals so that i don't get stuck making nickel cages again.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »

What did you expect from those weak, tree-fondling hippies?
Well, if my recollections are right, those same tree-fondling hippies mauled and devoured a small girl at the pubescent age of 7 while her husband, a boy at the same youthful age, watched. They were of the same race, even - they were all elves. That boy grew up to become Cacame Awemedinade. I found that with DF I want that sort of tragedy, the evil comedy that spawns heroes and tales. It's very hard to attain that with wooden weapons, hence why Cacame is so unique. Now the elves and drows and ice giants and warlocks and automatons of Masterwork Mod are far more likely to give me the glory I want.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:28 pm »

With rifles, pistols, machine guns, and human republics.

Mod in development. Only non-ranged weapon so far is axe for woodcutting (makes adventure mode challenging). Plan to phase out medieval armor, give dwarves tanks (already in raws, not available in fort mode), add Fun surprises sometime as well.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 06:10:44 am »

With rifles, pistols, machine guns, and human republics.

Mod in development. Only non-ranged weapon so far is axe for woodcutting (makes adventure mode challenging). Plan to phase out medieval armor, give dwarves tanks (already in raws, not available in fort mode), add Fun surprises sometime as well.
SEND ME A LINK WHEN IT'S DONE!

And now time for something related. I enjoy my DF with a bit of Masterwork flavor.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:05 am »

I like my DF with a strong vanilla flavor. I don't mod any of the raws at all (And never, ever, EVER turn temperature off), I always generate a normal world with lots of beasts, because beasts are !!FUN!!.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 11:51:30 am »

I'm playing Accelerated DF with my own little tinkerings in the raws, and it's mostly vanilla otherwise. Although I'm thinking of adding some mods like the xenomorph mod, Fear the Night, and Wanderer's Friend. Also thinking of moving the item_weapons.txt from Masterwork to my copy of Accelerated for all the extra attack options, and editing the numbers so my dorfs can use pikes and halberds.

I'm thinking of making a metal ore called goblinite that when smelted has a chance of yielding copper, silver, iron, or bronze metal, just because I can, and I'm also toying with the idea of adding uranium and making silver and gold capable of crafting into armor.

Current edits in my Axehole fort include dwarven war cleavers and dwarven carving knives added to weapons(copies of the cleaver and carving knives items' files but moved to weapons.txt so I can craft them and assign them in Fortress mode to troops) and adding the [ITEM_THIEF] to the dorf's ethics. An interesting result is that every trade caravan of dorfs, when they leave the game is flooded with reports of "A thief has stolen *INSERT TRADED GOOD HERE*!" It led to some WTF moments, I can tell you that. Another side effect is all other civs are hostile to you, meaning you only get the dorf caravan. No migrants' professions listed as thieves though, which was my goal.

I also edited cats to be war-trainable so the catsplosions can be slightly more useful.

Oh, and no aquifers. Nope nope nope.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 05:16:25 pm »

-No Aquifers for world generation.
-Acclerated DF because I like to simplify materials and for the FPS.

and that's about it. I like vanilla games.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 10:03:52 pm »

I find it ironic that the OP states a dislike of high fantasy and unrealistic entities and cites such as reasons for modding out various things.

Why not just mod out the psychotic, alcohol-dependent bearded midgets?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »

I find it ironic that the OP states a dislike of high fantasy and unrealistic entities and cites such as reasons for modding out various things.

Why not just mod out the psychotic, alcohol-dependent bearded midgets?

Because those exist in reality :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3