Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 7193 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering how do you customize your own experience in dwarf fortress. I always generate worlds with:
- No clowns or HFS.
- Mod goblins to eat and drink and sleep.
- Remove the NO_EAT, NO_SLEEP and others such those from almost all creatures.
- Remove creatures as bronze colossus, fire creatures, magma creatures, the elemental mens (mud, blood and such).
- I allow a single type of vampire and from 1 to 5 types of were beasts because they are cool. I also leave zombies alone because they are cool and I frankly don't know how to mod them (but I'm trying to find a way to stop single organs as skin or hair from reanimating, I would like Romero kind of zombies more).
- I have been toying with the mod that add firearms because firearms are really dwarfy.
- On a side note I dislike using traps beyond strictly hunting ends, all the enemies shall die by crossbow, hammer and axe!

Sometimes I fell like the worst dwarf player ever!

I do it because:
- The no clown worlds are supposed to be faster and less demanding on the PC once a can of HFS has been open.
- I greatly dislike high fantasy stuff such the aforementioned clowns and creatures that violate certain physical laws.
- I also don't make use of dwarf atom smashers or perpetual movement machinery. In other worlds I like fantasy worlds with as little magic as possible (if not at all).

I found that:
- So far, I played under such conditions and found the goblins stay around quite a bit even with the no_eat tag removed. In fact I have never see them go extinct on any of the worlds I made. As for the gameplay I still receive sieges from goblins and plenty of wild life both above and under ground.

I would like:
- To have technological advances like what I describe here.
- Have pipes for gases and liquids, as well as a waste system to have drains and manure making.
- Light and air being taking into account.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

That's funny, I'm kind of the exact opposite.  :P
Mod-wise, I tend to add more elemental men of different materials and some abilities that would make sense for them.
During Fortress Mode, I like to focus on training and breeding animals, engraving, and cooking. I can't have a fortress without a few imported, exotic pets and captured cave beasts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:44:19 pm »

i play df with mods

a lot of mods

i've mostly just been playing my own mods and pik-pik fortress, though

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:21 pm »

I like DF like I like my coffee: Full of alcoholic midgets who are hell bent on killing themselves.

...I think I need to find a new coffee shop.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:32:49 am »

Strong, but with milk and honey.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:45:40 am »

I generate worlds with...
> No Aquifers
> Tons of layers "at bottom" so should I ever get around to opening the clown car, I'll find plenty of room to toy with
> Extra layers "above surface" for megaprojects.  15 is just pathetic.  25 is about my minimum and I often go for 50.  (100 I probably won't use and is really just lag-inducing)
> Extra layers "Above Layer 1" so I have breathing room when designing a primarily vertical shallow-fort.
> More beasts, so I get above-ground fortress guests more often.
> more good and evil for more diverse sites.
> Lower mineral scarcity, often around 1000.  I don't like losing a site with a promising surface because it's got little/nothing going on below.

I sometimes play the Pony mod and have been eying Legends of Forlorn Realms, but vanilla DF has a lot of depth I don't feel I've tapped into on its own.

I've found that...
My calling seems to be big construction projects, more than intricate engineering.  I can only just run a Magma Pump Stack, but if you need a 20-Z ice pyramid, I'm your man.  I'm also just a wee bit obsessed with aesthetics, so that I get a little twitchy if I'm building on "evens" for double doors and have to place a single, centered piece of furniture to designate the room.  There has GOT to be something fitting to go beside it, right? (lever or table beside a throne in a throne room, table and chair splitting the middle for a dining room, storage furniture like a cabinet for a bedroom...)

As far as challenge goes, I'm happier with a middling-sized fortress (popcap 40, with a child cap of 30%, means I'm hovering near 50 dwarves more often than not) for a long stretch to really get set up before that pop goes up and defense goes from being a minor annoyance with snatchers/thieves to a critical issue with ambushes and sieges.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:09:07 am »

I mainly do my customizing through the dorfs themselves.  Why settle on a flat spot for a megaconstruction project when you can get out the picks and make a flat spot?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:52:49 am »

I'm a purist. No mods, no tools, no tileset.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »

I like my Dwarf Fortress ASCII, harvested straight from the plant. A blend of homebrewed mods that invariably make the world more Fun, like making Dwarf blood attach [LIKES_FIGHTING] to every creature it contacts - barring Dorfs of course. If it's making the game more Fun, it is in.
With my cup of Dwarf Fortress I like to have a big, big cup. The sky has to be the limit - and so I play with as much sky I want to use. 100zlvls of DF. Fewer minerals leaves my Dwarf Fortress mainly rich in solely tetrahedrite, galena and the microcline spires, meaning sprinkles of goblinite and imported bronzes complete the cup just a teency bit. A good blend of evil, neutral and savage biomes, the surface flattened in a nice loamy plain. Boiled, not stirred - with no aquifers.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »

Vanilla, except to give lady dwarves beards.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:15 am »

Large continent
My own Mod, Thothgol race, available.
No boogeymen if I play adventure, 'cause they're cheap.
Ignore candy veins, because I don't much like invulnerable armour/supersharp blades
No cage traps.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:46:18 am »

My own mod. If I find the time to actually play it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 08:45:50 am »

More often than not, people that make mods don't play that much beyond beta testing their own creations.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:47:31 am »

That's why they got US, LordBaal, the players. :D
I prefer anything that could be harvested for tales and inspiration, both artistically and philosophically, so I often choose one mod and play with that to my heart's content and then jump back to vanilla; repeat.

I'm taking my cup of DF with Meph's mod nowadays, Masterwork DF, because the elves sincerely deserve a better fighting chance (Mithril) and drows are just cool. There are more stuff it gives, like making farming more rewarding, but the gist is this:
Fiery mountain beneath the moon; The words unspoken, we'll be there soon; For home a song that echoes on; And all who find us will know the tune. :D
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:31:59 am »

because the elves sincerely deserve a better fighting chance
... You use it mainly because of the mithril elves get? WHAT HERESY IS THIS?!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"
Pages: [1] 2 3