Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 7187 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like your cup of Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:45 am »

Let's make a reality check:
Psychotic beings, check.
Alcoholic beings, check.
Dwarfs being biologically possible, check.

An humanoid made of nothing but blood or bronze (and not a robot), ummm nope. :P

What I tried to explain is that I like low fantasy, I dislike high fantasy. That's it, I like things like elf, dwarf, goblins and such as close as possible to something believable. That leaves out most things like magic, demons and elementals. I left however things like vampires, werewolves and zombies because they are "mainstream cool" and add that extra challenge needed in the game.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 10:59:34 am »

My usual cup is vanilla with small tweaks in the advanced worldgen parameters. Nothing excessive; medium region, end year 198, 9 volcanoes, 500 mineral scarcity, 12 (or 42) titans, 28 evil cloud types, 0 evil rain types, 10 z levels above layer 1. Early population cap to 20, that will be raised to 40-50-80 or more depending on the fort, births allowed or not depending on the situation as well.

When I'm in the mood for something different I bust out my own races/creatures, which I somehow enjoy more to create than to play as.
I also enjoy the occasional Corrosion mod fort (surprisingly so, given that the apocalyptic genre usually falls flat on me), Wanderer's friend adventure mode reactions, and Fortress Defense back in the days.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:34 am »

I'm generally just a "play now!" type of guy, no mods or lengthy preparations for me.

The one customized setting I sometimes enjoy playing for a challenge is to set the population cap to 1. Then there are no migrants after the first year, so the challenge becomes either population growth through reproduction, or disaster strikes and keeping the lone survivor alive until he/she dies of old age. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]