Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Vengeance (SCUM VICTORY)  (Read 85616 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 2: Dead Healer
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2013, 11:55:14 am »

As a player?  I'd want to lynch you for being question-dodging scum.  As an IC?  I'd want to liberally apply the business end of a shovel to your temples because it looks like you're too lazy to read through the game you're replacing into and get a good feel for the other players you're playing with. 
I can read through the game and not give you my reads at the same time. If anything, you're the lazy one. You didn't point out how that would make me scum. You only said that it'd make me lazy for not reading, which I did, so it doesn't, and that being lazy would somehow make me scum, which is pretty unspecific. Though, that itself doesn't make sense, since scum are hardly lazy, given they need to keep tangled webs woven in their heads. Lazy scum would simply lurk. Lazy lurkers, then, would all be scum.
The point of laziness refers to my opinion of you as a player with me as an IC.  I distinctly said you'd be scummy due to question-dodging.  As has been stated by others, only scum have something to hide; townies should be forthright in giving information. 

[Also, I've seen plenty of non-scum lazy lurkers, and laziness doesn't necessarily mean you're lurking; a player being lazy can just be making half-assed arguments too.]

How so? You're stating right now just how awesome a position it would be for scum, and I've explained several times how WIFOM of this nature works, so what is it? What would have made this such a bad or impractical idea for scum that they'd never do it, even if it's obvious that anyone who did it would get a free pass to the end of the game?
But they wouldn't precisely because you already suspect the possibility of a bus. Let's break it down: bussing would have been a terrible idea because not only would it have made it harder to win, but people would still suspect a bus so you wouldn't be off the hook (as proven by the fact that you suspect a bus).
Still WIFOM here.
[So ... let's break this down for educational purposes.
-NQT is trying to argue that whoever voted to lynch scum D1 isn't scum. 
-They're not scum, because scum wouldn't have bussed due to people suspecting a bus anyway (and losing half the scumteam). 
-If people would suspect a bus regardless of whether a bus happened or not, then that is not a net gain for scum trying to avoid suspicion, so that reason is moot.
-So then scum bussing D1 would seem to be a negative, because now half the team is dead.
-Why would scum intentionally lose half their team D1?  This looks like a Very Bad Thing, therefore scum wouldn't do it.
-So if scum *did* bus D1 despite all that  ...
-Do you see where this is going?]

Quadressence:  So, what I'm basically gathering from your posts, outside of a simmering dislike of magical detectives, is that your scumhunting boils down to ... what?  Suspecting and voting someone, asking them a few questions, and largely doing little else while you wait for them to reply?  Oh, and waiting for other players to give you reason to suspect them, of course.

I thought sleuths went looking for clues, not waiting for them to drop in their laps. 

Extend.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:38 pm »

Everyone:
Day ends today. I think the votes are as follows:

IronyOwl: 2
NQT: 1
Quadressence: 2

Let's have some consensus. Who do we want to lynch? I'd be fine with any of the three above, but from most to least preferable: NQT, IronyOwl, Quadressence. I'm actually starting to find Quad scummier with every post she makes.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:28 pm »

I don't have much time tonight, but I can say this much:
I find IronyOwl and NQT the most suspicious. NQT tries too hard, and from what little there is to analyse about Irony it seems they tried to distance themselves from FD till it became disadvantageous. So, I'm all up for voting Irony if push comes to shove.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2013, 04:58:34 pm »

Now, the rest of my responses:

Wet Sheep
NQT: What do you think of my idea that you are experimenting in bussing?
Nice theory, but I would only really experiment with a tactic that I thought likely to work. And bussing in this case was not likely to work. (After all, am I not suspected of bussing now?)

How so? You're stating right now just how awesome a position it would be for scum, and I've explained several times how WIFOM of this nature works, so what is it? What would have made this such a bad or impractical idea for scum that they'd never do it, even if it's obvious that anyone who did it would get a free pass to the end of the game?
But they wouldn't precisely because you already suspect the possibility of a bus. Let's break it down: bussing would have been a terrible idea because not only would it have made it harder to win, but people would still suspect a bus so you wouldn't be off the hook (as proven by the fact that you suspect a bus).
Still WIFOM here.
Nope. I'm just saying it would have been a poor strategy because: A. It would have made winning harder. B. People think you could have bussed anyway. That Ironyowl has the audacity to day bussing would give me a free pass while not giving me a free pass boggles the mind and reinforces my vote.

Quote from: NQT
More like, I'm advocating lynching whoever looks like they should have been lynched but weasled through regardless.
This seems like a suspicious policy lynch. Is this merely a sign of scumminess or a sign for a definite lynch?
I've gone over the argument earlier. Short version: some people are so scummy that almost everyone suspects them but they don't get lynched because everyone didn't suspect them at the same time. By looking at the vote record you can see who such people may be.

Let's have some consensus. Who do we want to lynch? I'd be fine with any of the three above, but from most to least preferable: NQT, IronyOwl, Quadressence. I'm actually starting to find Quad scummier with every post she makes.
How about we lynch Owl today and if she's innocent then you can kill me tomorrow. Fair deal?

Quad
Quit your quest! But, a query, a quiz, and mayhaps a qualm to quell, to quench, my quill.
Quite.

Notquitethere! Explain your vote on Flying Dice! Of course, you think, 'But that is the enemy, surely, you jest!' On the con(trary), I suggest that it be an elaborate ruse, a masquerade! You intend to lynch your partner and enjoy town status. Adequate, but you explained your vote too well, too much, to have it go unnoticed.

There's more! This morning, you exempt yourself from suspicion not on the grounds that you believe yourself to be innocent, but that there would be no way for scum to bus themselves. Another nail in the coffin for you, as there can be no way for you to prove this except by being scum, which would then make it grounds for a lie.
I gave my fullest argument against Flying Dice when I cast my vote. I can't do anything to prove that I didn't bus FD, so by all means continue to suspect me. I can only say that it would have been a pretty rubbish tactic if I did.

I- I think we've got it!
this squib. So nervous, but for what?
Hesitancy, not nervousness. I don't always think bold and swooping claims become us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2013, 05:01:16 pm »

How about we lynch Owl today and if she's innocent then you can kill me tomorrow. Fair deal?
IronyOwl is male :P

The only female player is Quin.

-cue IC advice later on on this-

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2013, 05:12:39 pm »

Off-topic gender stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmmm... I need to sleep, but I don't want a no-lynch. I will check back here before the deadline in (just under) three hours. Also, Borno/Quad and Owl are the best candidates for lynching (other than Shakerag), so let's not have any shenanigans here. Oppose Extension.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2013, 05:23:30 pm »

votecount incoming
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2013, 05:35:34 pm »

TheWetSheep(0):
Onyxjew994(0):
Quadressence(2):IronyOwl, Shakerag
notquitethere(1):Sphagetti7
Sphagetti7(0):
Shakerag(0):
IronyOwl(2):notquitethere, Quadressence

Not Voting: TheWetSheep, Onyxjew994, Sphagetti7

0 votes for extension (1 for, 1 against)

Day ends at 22:00 BRT today.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2013, 06:05:49 pm »

The IC's votes for Quad make me nervous. I'm getting more and more certain that one of them is scum, because I think Quad is an easy target for scum to lynch. She certainly acts it, but I personally don't think she's scummy enough to lynch.

I'm not sure which IC I'm more suspicious of, but since it's unlikely we'll get a Shakerag lynch, I'll go with IronyOwl. Someone needs to break the tie anyway.

NQT:
Wet Sheep
Nice theory, but I would only really experiment with a tactic that I thought likely to work. And bussing in this case was not likely to work. (After all, am I not suspected of bussing now?)
How could you have known what would happen beforehand?

Eh. Maybe. I'm not quite certain on anybody, but voting IO to avoid a nolynch. Anyway, I don't like to make promises on who I'll try to lynch.

OnyxJew: Please come back.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »

Extend. Too busy to post for reals, unlikely to be able to post before deadline.

This is not a good wager for a townie to make. You really feel 2:1 certain on me being scum? Or are you hoping to ride by on "Well I wouldn't have made that wager if I was scum because I'd have known IO was town!" tomorrow?

Hmmm... I need to sleep, but I don't want a no-lynch. I will check back here before the deadline in (just under) three hours. Also, Borno/Quad and Owl are the best candidates for lynching (other than Shakerag), so let's not have any shenanigans here. Oppose Extension.
Why the hurry?

Also this one thing:
Okay, then, what's your social security and credit card number?
That's not relevant to the game. Your reads are. Feel free to laugh at (and question the motives of) anyone demanding to know what you had for breakfast this morning. For game-related stuff, "Too bad, take what I choose to give you" will impair town's hunting ability and result in you being lynched.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »

I guess I'll extend, actually. Since Onyx hasn't posted for a while and IO needs more time, it wouldn't really be fair to not. Although I would like to see the game move a little faster.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »

Huge amounts of my bad on here. Anyway, disregard earlier picks, I have some new interests. Probably, if I'm remembering my old scumpicks correctly.

Quad

Admittedly, this one is part actual suspicion, part annoyance. Quad refuses to share her information and I see little activity, but I'm also just genuinely incensed by his/her attitude and methodology. A good amount of fluff seems to be hiding a total lack of comprehensive analysis or even any action. I think we can all agree on this at the very least, What in the bloody name of Sithis are these Methods?

NQT

Personally, NQT is on this list out of necessity. I am very much eager to see how his 'vote pattern analysis' works with more data than a rather obvious scum, but his actions pretty much guarantee he should be on this list.

You realize this is quickly dropping into a heavy WIFOM spiral, correct? You'd best drop it. This is, was, and most likely will be, WIFOM. Accept it. You will look both less stubborn and less scummy if/when you do.

What is it about me and Shakerag that means you can't be scum while we're alive but if we both get lynched, yeah, it could totally be you?
If you're both innocent when dead and I'm still alive, then there would be certainly greater room to doubt my sincerity or competency.
I'm not even going to dignify this wit─oh, wait. That's my job, right. This is terrible. Your defense is that there are bigger targets in your eyes. That is in no way a good reason for why you aren't scum, or even why others are. Claiming that we should just lynch your targets and then when/if they turn up as Town then we should lynch you is a horrid idea. Especially considering, oh I don't know, the fact that we would all be dead by the time that happened.

So yeah, I'm a terrible person. I come back after my hiatus with a spiteful vote and some justifications. I'm fully willing to go for it and see how it plays out. Admittedly, if Quad had layed off the fluff and explained these mystical and wondrous methods, I might be a little less aggressive in her case, but the Town is a cohesive unit. We live or die as a team, and while Irony and NQT aren't exactly the most spotless individuals, at least they are trying/pretending to contribute. This is a game about learning, so remember this paragraph Quad. Whether or not you live through this day.

Edit: DAMNIT. Now my vote would mean a no-lynch. Unvote.

Oh, and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Quadressence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2013, 07:05:07 pm »

What is BRT? Can I get a time? I still want to talk. Extend!

The IC's votes for Quad make me nervous. I'm getting more and more certain that one of them is scum, because I think Quad is an easy target for scum to lynch. She certainly acts it, but I personally don't think she's scummy enough to lynch.

I'm not sure which IC I'm more suspicious of, but since it's unlikely we'll get a Shakerag lynch, I'll go with IronyOwl. Someone needs to break the tie anyway.

NQT:
Wet Sheep
How could you have known what would happen beforehand?

Eh. Maybe. I'm not quite certain on anybody, but voting IO to avoid a nolynch. Anyway, I don't like to make promises on who I'll try to lynch.

OnyxJew: Please come back.
You keep flip-flopping. You say I'm not scummy, you say I'm scummy, you say Irony's scummier... You keep switching. That's not good.

I don't want to get a lynch by technicality. I want it to be discussed. I've only had a weekend and a small amount of today to talk. Not nearly enough.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »

Heh, I did it again. I keep forgetting to Extend in these games. Always rushing to the finish line then making statements with heavy finality before I even remember we can buy more time. In Extension Mafia, with several posts sandwiching mine in pure Extend, and I still forget to do it until now.

I should get a checklist for these things.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »

I swear I will never play another game with unlimited extensions, this is ridiculous.

I spent too much of my last few posts answering questions. It'll be all analysis now until a solid case has been made.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38