Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1742211 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #11310 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:06 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: September 25, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »

The dream is simply too powerful to be broken by something like the events of last week. In my heart of hearts I firmly believe that independence is coming yet for a' that.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: September 25, 2014, 01:40:32 pm »

the website said, adding that the arrests could be an Estonian retaliation for the arrest of ISS official Eston Kohver earlier in September.

no shit

that and the boat

mines on the border when

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: September 25, 2014, 01:46:32 pm »

Two fishermen detained by Estonian Border Guards after their boat crossed onto the Estonian side are both former KGB officers.

I guess this proves that there's no such thing as a former KGB officer :P

In the same way that Putin is former KGB and yet acts like the cold war never ended?

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

In what?

In elections.

And why's that a good thing that only two parties are competing with each other?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: September 25, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »

Two fishermen detained by Estonian Border Guards after their boat crossed onto the Estonian side are both former KGB officers.

In the same way that Putin is former KGB and yet acts like the cold war never ended?

Cold war never ended. It went just low, but is picking up pace (from 2000) with chine becoming more powerful and russia also. In near future you will probably see forming of a new block like NATO for asia
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:07:57 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »

Cold war never ended. It went just low, but is picking up pace (from 2000) with chine becoming more powerful and russia also. In near future you will probably see forming of a new block like NATO for asia

I don't know about a NATO-like bloc for Asia, the East and SouthEast Asian countries are nowhere near as unified and friendly with each other as Europe is.

You saw how difficult it was to get the SE Asia countries to cooperate during the Malaysia Airlines 370 crash search and investigation. Though understandably a good part of that was because nobody wanted to share sensitive military radar data.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:17:29 pm by smjjames »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: September 25, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »

You could even say it went

B|

tepid.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: September 25, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

China yes, but I don't see Russia as becoming more powerful. More rash yes, but more powerful? Certainly not. They might end up as a minor partner in a China-centered NATO equivalent maybe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: September 25, 2014, 02:22:03 pm »

China is too Chinese to be a leader in any sort of international organization. Also, Russia is 1.7 times bigger than China.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: September 25, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »

China yes, but I don't see Russia as becoming more powerful. More rash yes, but more powerful? Certainly not. They might end up as a minor partner in a China-centered NATO equivalent maybe.

They are allies of China atm, but that's more 'allied on paper', thier relationship certainly isn't that of best friends as it was during Soviet times.

Aside from disputed island territories, I don't think they have any land territory ambitions.

China is too Chinese to be a leader in any sort of international organization. Also, Russia is 1.7 times bigger than China.

A lot of that is uninhabited land, if you're talking about land area.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: September 25, 2014, 02:28:42 pm »

They are allies of China atm, but that's more 'allied on paper', thier relationship certainly isn't that of best friends as it was during Soviet times.

Aside from disputed island territories, I don't think they have any land territory ambitions.

To the bolded part: What.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »

Owlbread, I don't think you'll be getting a referendum in six years' time. Probably gonna be longer than that.

The government probably only gave Scotland the referendum because they thought it'd very definitely be pro-union. I think the only circumstances they'd give a referendum are that and if Scotland looked on the verge of revolution.

This is all very true; the thing is, with "Home Rule" one of the essential rights that should be devolved is the right to hold referendums on our constitutional future. Ultimately we will set the agenda. If the UK try to block a referendum in the event of an EU exit, we should try to learn from our Catalan friends. The fact that Cameron gave us the referendum without much fuss was a bit of a problem for us, otherwise it would have really galvanised Yes support.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: September 25, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »

To the bolded part: What.

Forgive my ignorance, I thought they pretty much were, which is simply due to a lack of knowledge of their relationship at the time.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: September 25, 2014, 02:34:55 pm »

Umm what? Russia after 2000 economic, military and almost in every way is more powerful than russia before 2000. That is what I mean when i said russia is getting more powerful, witch it did in the past.  Also I am not sure about minor partner. They would be the second strongest partner in alliance, that will be leaded by china (there is no doubt about that, same as nato).
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1393