Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751436 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2565 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:10 am »

Spain may threaten nastiness to discourage Catalonia from leaving, but if Catalonia leaves and call Spain's bluff, what benefits would Spain get from making Catalonia's live miserable? A large chunk of their economy would still depend on trade with Catalonia, so they'd shoot themselves in the foot.
Well, sometimes there's no time to call back the measures. I mean the Catalonia situation would need to be resolved a long time before independence, and if Spain keeps delaying that, a temporary drop out of the EU might happen.

Speaking of Ukraine, Yanukovich announced he'll sign the Eastern Partnership. Soft power indeed, I wish I could be there the next time Van Rompuy ad Putin gets into the same room. :p
Technically, trade restrictions are considered soft power.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: December 13, 2013, 08:42:54 am »

I don't think we're really getting the main issue here guys. Once Catalonia votes and gets a majority (as they plan on doing regardless of the Spanish government's decision), the cat is never going back into the bag. It's too late and it will be far, far too late by the time Spain is actively trying to block Catalonia from all that is good. No matter how much they punish Catalonia, they would never consider just calling it a day and returning to Spain. Even if they did, can you imagine the ill-feeling towards the government in Catalonia? Both to Artur Mas and to the Spanish Government for treating them like this.

It would actually be far more beneficial for Spain to just let Catalonia have what it wants, but no more because it's simply not worth all the punishment.

It depends how you define a "major country" in the EU though. France's separatist movements are pretty minor, and Poland don't have one AFAIK.

They do to an extent. Not every country necessarily has an out-and-out "separatist" movement, but most have autonomist, pseudo-separatist ones like Silesia in Poland.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:50:11 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:37 am »

Except Germany, but we already know that Germany knows how to play ball.
What do you mean? We're certainly not going to take back our Eastern possessions by force...
Especially since the former inhabitants are mostly dead now, the territories have been resettled and the constitution had to be changed to accept the Oder-Neisse-border in order to get international approval for reunification.
There is a tiny Bavarian secession movement, but that is pretty negligible. Bavaria itself has a Franconian autonomy movement also.

But yeah, there are quite a few autonomy movements in Europe, most don't want full independence though. Catalonia and Scotland are by far the biggest and most likely to achieve something. I guess in case of a successful vote there would be a long negotiation process before anything gets done, so the question of EU membership will be settled before independence. I can definitely see Spain and the EU sabotaging attempts to have a referendum though, because it's difficult to ignore a democratic mandate. (That has been done in the past, but I think these times should be over by now.)

It would be an interesting precedent case that might impact not only other separatists, but also the countries that lose territory. Besides the impact on the economy, there is the psychological effect. I wonder for example how Scottish independence would affect the anti-EU / "we're still an empire" mentality in some British conservative circles and whether that could lead - in an ironic twist - to the rUK becoming more EU-friendly. Or maybe not.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:30 am »

Speaking of Ukraine, Yanukovich announced he'll sign the Eastern Partnership. Soft power indeed, I wish I could be there the next time Van Rompuy ad Putin gets into the same room. :p
And what will stop Yanukovich from  breaking his word one more time?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:07 am »

And what will stop Yanukovich from  breaking his word one more time?
Nothing. But the statement is very carefully worded. He will sign the treaty, eventually. Truly, the only thing he's saying is that he isn't going to sign the Russian customs union, or something silly like that.

((On a side note, Ukraine signed the Eastern Partnership some time ago, I think you intended to mention the Association agreement))

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »

So, could somebody who has them or knows them perhaps pm me a few links, preferably in English and from 'several sides', to news sites/papers from Greece?  I am not having great luck . . .

Here's hoping.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2571 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:08 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 14, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »

Spoiler: to add to the above (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 16, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »

Anyway, the UK apparently planned to limit the amount of EU migrants

Honestly doubt this is more than a PR stunt in order to attract votes for their better out than in campaign. They know this a clear violation of several basic EU rights. (Free travel of workforce, amongst others.)

edit: Russia installs nuclear-capable missiles near EU borders.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:07:25 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: December 16, 2013, 09:48:28 pm »

I thought Russia already did that years ago.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: December 16, 2013, 10:15:47 pm »

I thought Russia was just a giant nuclear missile at this point.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »

I thought Russia was just a giant nuclear missile at this point.
Actually, it's a bunch of midget nukes disguised as a big nuke.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: December 17, 2013, 03:39:05 am »

Russia's rusting?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »

I was browsing the internet and found this map on Google Images:

Spoiler: Map of "The UK" (click to show/hide)

Notice anything wrong with that picture?

It's from this apparently US-based rentals website. I nearly laughed at it, it's worse than a bloody Creative Assembly map. The problem is that the people who created it were deathly serious.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:01:57 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1393