Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751450 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2550 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:23 pm »

It's as much bollocks as they say it would be for Scotland. There's nothing in the EU that would say Catalonia would be excluded

There's Spain in the EU.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

Yes, but is it in Spain's interests to exclude Catalonia?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: December 12, 2013, 05:02:47 pm »

It certainly is in Spain's interests to sabotage any Catalonian attempt to become independent. Blocking preparatory phases could very well be one of these things.

And as the US shutdown shows, these mutual stand-offs won't always work well.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: December 12, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »

Do not worry, I am going to create a Scottish independence thread within the next week or so, or at least when the time is right. That will divert any such traffic away from this noble thread in the future.
No, I didn't mean it like that. You talk a lot about Scottish independence and I find it interesting but wouldn't hear much about it otherwise.
I don't think a new thread is needed, if you don't want one, that's a topic that belongs here.

It certainly is in Spain's interests to sabotage any Catalonian attempt to become independent. Blocking preparatory phases could very well be one of these things.
Yeah, that's probably it. Catalonian independence would have a big economical impact on Spain, plus they have other separatist movements, so they try to not let things go that way.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:33:35 pm by XXSockXX »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: December 12, 2013, 05:32:43 pm »

I think as time goes on and things build up, maybe a thread will be necessary, but I suppose for the next while or so I can keep it here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: December 13, 2013, 05:08:47 am »

Yeah, I'm totally okay with you staying here. As far as Spain goes, their interest would be making an independent Catalonia's life miserable to keep the Basque in check. Although I guess they'd be under a lot of pressure from the rest of the EU to let them in.

But now, I have a question: what if Scotland argues that it is a successor state of the UK, just like the rUK. Both would have equal right to stay within the EU.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:32 am »

Yeah, I'm totally okay with you staying here. As far as Spain goes, their interest would be making an independent Catalonia's life miserable to keep the Basque in check. Although I guess they'd be under a lot of pressure from the rest of the EU to let them in.

To keep the Basque in check? No. Catalonia is the economic engine of Spain - Madrid would want to make them as miserable as possible to keep them in Spain. Pais Vasco is basically a footnote in comparison.

And basically every important country in the EU has at least one region with separatist inclinations. Except Germany, but we already know that Germany knows how to play ball. Unless Madrid goes all violent, the EU is going to back them on this. An really, that's what they've been doing so far.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: December 13, 2013, 07:34:35 am »

Spain may threaten nastiness to discourage Catalonia from leaving, but if Catalonia leaves and call Spain's bluff, what benefits would Spain get from making Catalonia's live miserable? A large chunk of their economy would still depend on trade with Catalonia, so they'd shoot themselves in the foot.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:43 am »

Prestige, and getting Catalonia back.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: December 13, 2013, 07:40:19 am »

*implying people are rational actors*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 13, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

Prestige from being dicks? And if you think you can get a country back in your fold by imposing trade sanctions and acting like a dick, you've missed the current going-on in Ukraine.

Speaking of Ukraine, Yanukovich announced he'll sign the Eastern Partnership. Soft power indeed, I wish I could be there the next time Van Rompuy ad Putin gets into the same room. :p

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 13, 2013, 07:43:49 am »

Except Germany, but we already know that Germany knows how to play ball.
What do you mean? We're certainly not going to take back our Eastern possessions by force...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 13, 2013, 07:50:45 am »

It depends how you define a "major country" in the EU though. France's separatist movements are pretty minor, and Poland don't have one AFAIK.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 13, 2013, 07:53:41 am »

It depends how you define a "major country" in the EU though. France's separatist movements are pretty minor, and Poland don't have one AFAIK.
You obviously don't play Europa Universalis enough.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:46 am »

Prestige from being dicks?

That's generally how people act to get Prestige points, yes. But Europa Universalis aside, you're misunderstanding me - it's not that they would get prestige from it but because they lost face (and a whole lot of money) when Catalonia left.

And if you think you can get a country back in your fold by imposing trade sanctions and acting like a dick, you've missed the current going-on in Ukraine.

I think you're underestimating the power of "sure, we weren't our own state, but at least we had a functioning economy". And you can't just see it from a post-partum perspective, but must also consider Madrid threatening with this kind of stuff in order to paint a bleak future and sway the general opinion.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1393