Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820074 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #840 on: April 28, 2013, 01:27:31 pm »

Look, I'm tired of this game. Look at popular opinion and quit haggling with me about this 'rights' [of which I doubt anyone could quote the text of the 2nd without looking it up] spiel.

If you're against universal background checks you're against majority opinion.

I'm not talking about background checks, I'm talking about the "assault weapons ban" and its tangible effects on stopping crime. Can you give me figures on how violent crime figures were affected by the ban under Clinton? Why is banning "assault weapons" more important right now than having tighter restrictions on handguns?

IDK about that exactly, but the Brady Bill background checks (which came in in ~1994) to seem to have a huge impact on hand-gun deaths. The previous type of background checks were abolished in 1986 under Reagan. Graphs show that handgun deaths increased almost every year from 1986-1995, then steadily fell back to the previous levels. Other types of homicide steadily fell for the entire period before, during, and afterwards, which rules out that people were just "especially murderous" in the time period in question. Why just handguns if that's the case, and no increase in e.g. knife murders?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:33:31 pm by Reelya »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30:14 pm »

That was the goddamn point of the new bill. To improve the background check system and re-implement the previous successful ban of military weaponry.

Of course, you wouldn't know that with the rampant amounts of disinformation thrown out there by right-wingers. I'm considering dropping my Republican title entirely. My party disgusts me to my marrow. Are arms dealers truely more important than even attempting to save lives from gun violence?

Well, that isn't what I said. I said "without prohibiting them completely", that ban did exactly that which is going to ruin a lot of hobbyists' fun.

You know, I'm just reading the wikipedia article right now on the ban with respect to the comments made by the CDC:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied the "assault weapon" ban and other gun control attempts, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence," noting "that insufficient evidence to determine effectiveness should not be interpreted as evidence of ineffectiveness." A 2004 critical review of research on firearms by a National Research Council panel also noted that academic studies of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence" and noted "due to the fact that the relative rarity with which the banned guns were used in crime before the ban ... the maximum potential effect of the ban on gun violence outcomes would be very small...."

Surely they'd have access to the same figures you did. Why didn't they come to the same conclusion?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2013, 01:30:46 pm »

The ban didn't objectively affect the crime rate because those banned guns were not often used in crimes at the time. The fall in the murder rate was across the board, for all weapons used including bare hands and blunt objects. A much more likely cause of that is the rise of electronic media and interactive gaming getting young men to stay home instead of going and and being hooligans.

you are explicitly and emphatically wrong, you are claiming I don't support universal background checks. And you are doing so in a way that makes you look like a complete fool.

I'm very surprised. It seems like a lot of effort to go out and buy some of the weapons described in the ban just to rob somebody, why not just buy a Hi-Point for a hundred dollars or something? I can understand if it's linked to gang violence but surely reasonable background checks/license renewal system could solve that issue without prohibiting the sale completely?

That was the goddamn point of the new bill. To improve the background check system and re-implement the previous successful ban of military weaponry.

Of course, you wouldn't know that with the rampant amounts of disinformation thrown out there by right-wingers. I'm considering dropping my Republican title entirely. My party disgusts me to my marrow. Are arms dealers truely more important than even attempting to save lives from gun violence?

"Assault Weapons" are not military weapons. The only reason that more than a tiny fraction of people support the "Assault Weapon Ban" is that they are deluded into thinking they are. Much like you appear to be.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 28, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

you are explicitly and emphatically wrong, you are claiming I don't support universal background checks. And you are doing so in a way that makes you look like a complete fool.

"Assault Weapons" are not military weapons. The only reason that more than a tiny fraction of people support the "Assault Weapon Ban" is that they are deluded into thinking they are.

Nadaka's best arguement: I'm right, you're wrong, my opinion is all encompassing! Cute. There's a reason your debates never fulfill any goal, mate. Support any position with popular opinion and prove your hyperbole claims of this being akin to a registry system and I'll give you the light of day to discuss your misguided views, otherwise you're stuck in la-la land.

Semantics and hyperbole and disinformation are your creed I see. If you did not support the universal background check bill you are opposed to universal background checks for your own childish reasoning and find it upsetting to be called out on your inherit hypocrisy. Sorry. Get over it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »

"Assault Weapons" are not military weapons. The only reason that more than a tiny fraction of people support the "Assault Weapon Ban" is that they are deluded into thinking they are.

Nadaka's best arguement: I'm right, you're wrong, my opinion is all encompassing! Cute. There's a reason your debates never fulfill any goal, mate. Support any position with popular opinion and prove your hyperbole claims of this being akin to a registry system and I'll give you the light of day to discuss your misguided views, otherwise you're stuck in la-la land.

Semantics and hyperbole and disinformation are your creed I see.

That is the pot calling the god damn sun black. If you can't actually form a decent argument you don't need to be here.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »

Semantics and hyperbole and disinformation are your creed I see.

Are you going to tell me why the guns should be banned completely at a federal level and not just introduce tighter restrictions on the licensing for it? You're going to completely ruin the days of thousands of hobbyists across America who shoot the guns included in those definitions for fun. Why not apply the same laws to automatic weapons to the guns that fit the imaginary "assault weapons" definition?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 28, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »

That is the pot calling the god damn sun black. If you can't actually form a decent argument you don't need to be here.

Form a single sentence without resorting to childishness and utilize a fact or two, then. :]

Are you going to tell me why the guns should be banned completely at a federal level and not just introduce tighter restrictions on the licensing for it? You're going to completely ruin the days of thousands of hobbyists across America who shoot the guns included in those definitions for fun. Why not apply the same laws to automatic weapons to the guns that fit the imaginary "assault weapons" definition?

Look at facts and come back to me.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

But I'm suggesting that maybe a similar outcome could be reached without completely banning the guns and ruining the fun of thousands of hobbyists across America. Hell, amplify the amount of hoops that need to be jumped through by a hundred or a thousand, just as long as people can still have fun if they want to.

You also didn't attack Nadaka's argument on the subject of the crime rate falling:

The ban didn't objectively affect the crime rate because those banned guns were not often used in crimes at the time. The fall in the murder rate was across the board, for all weapons used including bare hands and blunt objects. A much more likely cause of that is the rise of electronic media and interactive gaming getting young men to stay home instead of going and and being hooligans.

Would you mind maybe dealing with that argument rather than just belittling him as much as you can?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:42:14 pm by Owlbread »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »

*hides the pills and grabs more popcorn*
Goddamn it Dutchling, you've doomed the whole thread :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 28, 2013, 01:41:23 pm »

Form a single sentence without resorting to childishness and utilize a fact or two, then. :]

So you aren't going to then, you'd rather just get one over your opponent. That's a pity. I was hoping we were going to have robust debate.

Okay. 'Robust debate' does not equal licking non-informed boots and playing like the anti-regulation arguement here holds any sort of weight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^better indicator, since gun crime typically affects disenfranchised youth. Youth violence index dropped to 25 year lows during the course of the ban.

Another important one. People tend to use them to intimidate and extort and rob people, especially women.

I don't care if people disagree or find it difficult. I agree with saving lives from needless violence, I don't care to cater to childish views of absolute constitutional rights. If so we should be allowed to scream fire in a theatre and I don't see Nadaka arguing for that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:43:13 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »

Banhammer descending!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »

I have. Repeatedly. But you ignore everything and just figuratively call me a poopy head.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44:08 pm »

If you're going to repeat yourself because you think people haven't listened to you, so will I:

But I'm suggesting that maybe a similar outcome could be reached without completely banning the guns and ruining the fun of thousands of hobbyists across America. Hell, amplify the amount of hoops that need to be jumped through by a hundred or a thousand, just as long as people can still have fun if they want to.

You also didn't attack Nadaka's argument on the subject of the crime rate falling:

Would you mind maybe dealing with that argument rather than just belittling him as much as you can?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44:44 pm »

OP steps in

*large and calm voice*

CHILL, Y'ALL. REGAIN YOUR COOLNESS OR MOVE TO ANOTHER THREAD.

Nadaka, you're starting to act hostile. Mic, you're getting close to that stage. Not in my thread. The rest of y'all- don't feed hyperbole.

And stop name-calling. That goes for all of you. I ain't gonna let this politics thread descend to the level of third-graders calling each other bodily functions over disagreements of opinion.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:47:25 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 28, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »

"Your graphs don't agree with my predisposed views so you're wrong!" Sorry. Just trying to inject facts into the gun debate. Tends to rustle jimmies I guess.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 667