Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820087 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #870 on: April 30, 2013, 10:45:05 am »

[colbert's sister]“When we talk about fiscal spending and we talk about protecting the taxpayers, it doesn’t mean you take the money we saved and leave the country for a personal purpose.”

That was a reference to Sanford’s use of state funds to fly to Argentina to visit his mistress and now fiancé, an affair that derailed his political career four years ago.

“She went there, Governor Sanford,” one of the debate’s moderators responded.

With much of the crowd hooting and hollering, Sanford seemed shaken.

“I couldn’t hear what she said… repeat it, I didn’t hear,” he said.

“Answer the question,” Colbert Busch interjected.

“What was the question?” Sanford said, appearing stunned.“Ok, but anyway, ah ah, on the sequester, I’ll go back to the sequester…”
Oh god, that's just comedy gold.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 30, 2013, 11:00:33 am »

Remind me again why the GOP nominated such a doofus? Someone more competent would likely have a much easier time beating her.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:47 am »

I had to look up the exchange to see if that actually happened, I couldn't believe such a pitiful snippet. I enjoy how he apparently wasn't mentally girded for the mere mention of his extremely hot current-wife ex-mistress. I mean, did he really not expect that?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:06 am »

He's so screwed it isn't even funny. If he was smart he'd drop out and stop doing active damage to the GOP, but he won't because he isn't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:40 am »

I assume the Democrats are only running her because it's such a red district they only have a chance of winning against someone like Sanford?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:41 am »

[colbert's sister]“When we talk about fiscal spending and we talk about protecting the taxpayers, it doesn’t mean you take the money we saved and leave the country for a personal purpose.”

That was a reference to Sanford’s use of state funds to fly to Argentina to visit his mistress and now fiancé, an affair that derailed his political career four years ago.

“She went there, Governor Sanford,” one of the debate’s moderators responded.

With much of the crowd hooting and hollering, Sanford seemed shaken.

“I couldn’t hear what she said… repeat it, I didn’t hear,” he said.

“Answer the question,” Colbert Busch interjected.

“What was the question?” Sanford said, appearing stunned.“Ok, but anyway, ah ah, on the sequester, I’ll go back to the sequester…”
Oh god, that's just comedy gold.
Dang. Burrrrrrnnnnnn!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:11 pm »

Remind me again why the GOP nominated such a doofus? Someone more competent would likely have a much easier time beating her.
$$$

He beat some no name in a primary.  You'd think primary voters would be more competent in who they nominate, but money speaks louder than words in politics.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:39 pm »

I don't like primary voting.

No real reason, I just don't. It seems... undemocratic.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »

Voting for your party's candidate is undemocratic?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:46 pm »

The problem is that coupled with your dang two-party, first-past-the-post system, it gives an extremist minority an outsized influence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »

It's mostly the closed primaries that I have problems with...

And the whole "If you aren't a[n approved] Democrat or Republican, your name isn't on the list for the general election".
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:38 pm »

Descan, third parties candidates can (and do) run for the general elections. No one vote for them, but they do run.

Actually, could somone explain why other countries with first-past-the-post systems, like Britain or france, manage to have more than two parties?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 30, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »

They still have two very clearly dominant parties. Simply put, the US just doesn't have splintered party allegiances. The Democrats encompass the entire Left, and the Republicans encompass the entire Right.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 30, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »

Magic.

Uh, I thought that there were a lot of reports of people not being put on the ballot beyond the Big Two? o-o

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 30, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »

Actually, could somone explain why other countries with first-past-the-post systems, like Britain or france, manage to have more than two parties?

Mostly a combination of elections being more local, political campaign style and laws, the nature of the parties, etc.

And to expand on what MSH said;

In Britain at least till 2010, the big two had fairly strong party discipline and ran on party recognition while the third/smaller parties were either regional or had weak enough party discipline that a South West Lib Dem would be a conservative alternative to the local Tory while a Northern Lib Dem would be running to the left of Labour. Labour and Conservative candidates had less flexibility in this area while getting tagged by the high profile party leadership.

Arguably Nick Clegg destroyed this by running the charismatic leader role as a national campaign. Combine that with the coalition and arguably the Lib Dems will never get to run that play again.

In the US both of the big parties are Lib Dem style coalitions, so they already run the chameleon role in each constituency and leave no room for a local interest or flexible-interest national party to fill in such gaps.

FPTP messes up election results and hurts smaller parties, sure, but I don't think it's even mostly to blame for their lack in US politics.

Uh, I thought that there were a lot of reports of people not being put on the ballot beyond the Big Two? o-o

It can be tricky in places, but usually that's more about being frozen out of debates and things like that. Usually you need to either pay a fee or gather a given number of signatures to run for office. Even most joke candidates can pull that off. Getting into debates usually means you are over a certain polling threshold, that threshold usually being high enough that no third party candidate will meet it. Even 5% is a deal breaker, but I'd bet a 10% 'spoiler' candidate would see thresholds set at 15%.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 667