Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819863 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: FearfulJesuit'sAmericanPolitics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #810 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »

Majority of Americans want increased gun restrictions (it wasn't a ban). In any case, there's 1.75 years left for the Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot over and over again, and they will.

The original proposal most certainly was a ban. And it wasn't until less than 24 hours before the final vote that the background check proposal was in a form that was acceptable to even the ACLU, so in the minds of the average poorly informed voter it might as well have been.

And yes, the republicans are likely to shoot themselves in the foot. But the single issue voters for the second amendment will be out in force, and people have become largely desensitized to conservative absurdity. Last year, it was looking like the end of the republican party was inevitable and fast aproachinh, the democrats could have done nothing and sailed into a clean victory. Now they will have to fight to regain an advantage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 25, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

Majority of Americans want increased gun restrictions (it wasn't a ban). In any case, there's 1.75 years left for the Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot over and over again, and they will.

Not really. If the majority of Americans wanted increased gun restrictions, those senators wouldn't have voted against the bill, especially the moderate Republicans and the dissenting Democrats. Most of the "90% of Americans support this!" nonsense is from polls that ask if Americans believe in background checks, something that already exists. Going by the polls, even in the states where they do support some form of increased gun restriction, they didn't support the bill in question (see: the polls coming out of New Hampshire)
Way to assume something I didn't say. I said a majority of Americans wanted increased control, not 90%. And that's true.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »

Since Nadaka and GJ will likely just ignore the actual facts to support Libertarian talking points, here's those stats for the rest of us:

I'm gonna bold that for you.
Require criminal background checks for all gun sales [I.e. universal background checks]: 91%

In any case, there's 1.75 years left for the Republicans to shoot themselves in the foot over and over again, and they will.

Probably with this line of thought:
Most of the "90% of Americans support this!" nonsense is from polls that ask if Americans believe in background checks, something that already exists. Going by the polls, even in the states where they do support some form of increased gun restriction, they didn't support the bill in question (see: the polls coming out of New Hampshire)
I.e. I will ignore 90% of people's wishes in a democracy if it doesn't pander to my preconceived notions of guv'ment kicking down your doors.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:15:32 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »

I don't actually oppose universal background checks. If you are going to have a class of people who are not legally allowed to own weapons due to their convictions for violent criminal acts, then background checks are necessary. And they can be done in a way that is effective, relatively convenient,  and does not infringe on legal gun owners privacy and self defense rights.

In fact, I actually emailed my representatives and senators asking them to pass a reasonable universal background check law (and to also NOT pass the AW ban and magazine capacity limits).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:25:40 pm by Nadaka »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:11 am »

The assault weapons ban and the magazine capacity limits are only going to piss off gun nuts and keep idiots happy. They won't save you when a guy walks into a school with four handguns and shoots 14 kids.

Furthermore, the whole point of the second amendment is to allow civilians to form militias and overthrow, at worst, their own government by force. Not just "defend yourself" against a burglar or something. If you don't have access to military-grade weaponry, how can you overthrow the government? Never mind if you think that's silly or not, that's honestly the whole point of the amendment. The fact that it was made the "second amendment" not the fourth or fifth shows how important it was to the Founding Fathers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:00:07 am by Owlbread »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:40 am »

The assault weapons ban and the magazine capacity limits are only going to piss off gun nuts and keep idiots happy. They won't save you when a guy walks into a school with four handguns and shoots 14 kids.

Furthermore, the whole point of the second amendment is to allow civilians to form militias and overthrow, at worst, their own government by force. Not just "defend yourself" against a burglar or something. If you don't have access to military-grade weaponry, how can you overthrow the government? Never mind if you think that's silly or not, that's honestly the whole point of the amendment. The fact that it was made the "second amendment" not the fourth or fifth shows how important it was to the Founding Fathers.

Well, not exactly. The second amendment is designed as a states rights measure to guarantee that the national government does not abuse the states by stating that state militias can still exist and can resist federal abuses. Even when the supreme court rules on a handgun ban, they indicated that the only reason it was legal was that so many people use handguns.

So in short, yes it is important, but for different people than what most people believe. Even then, the amendment was made in a time when weapon differentiation only was accuracy, with most other factors coming solely from the marksman. If they had to judge whether they wanted the common person to have modern military grade weaponry, who knows what they would say.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:26:54 am by bulborbish »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:13 am »

There is another brand of important stuff occurring, proving once again the gun issue is not all-consuming, despite evidence to the contrary.

Secretary cedes Sarin strike struck Syrian civilians.

That is to say, the White House says it now believes Assad has used chemical weapons against the opposition.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:17 am »

And: http://news.yahoo.com/why-ron-paul-institute-terrible-news-rand-paul-070000414.html

This is one of the most popular so called libertarians shooting himself and his sons political ambition in the foot by assembling a think tank full of conspiracy theorists, racists and fascists.

Oh... And then there is the blatant jaw dropping unapologetic racism of these two articles.

http://news.yahoo.com/dark-side-diversity-070000603.html

http://news.yahoo.com/hatred-heart-white-america-070000325.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:18:05 am by Nadaka »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:05 am »

I've asked before, and i may have forgetten your reasons, but why do you read yahoo?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:24 am »

It's also worth pointing out, but Paul has started selling a homeschooling curriculum crafted with the help of Gary North and Thomas Woods.

North is the beauty responsible for this quote;

"So let us be blunt about it: we must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God."

Liberty!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:08 am »

I've asked before, and i may have forgetten your reasons, but why do you read yahoo?

I have a yahoo email account. And sometimes I go there to correct the misinformed. And sometimes I go there to troll conservatives. The line between those last two can get awful blurry.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 26, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »

I enjoyed this video. It was very reasonable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3t7j2tUec

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »

Obama, he's a comedian!
Quote from: Obama
“I know CNN has taken some knocks lately but the fact is, I admire their commitment to covering all sides of the story, just in case one of them happens to be accurate.”
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 28, 2013, 12:57:55 am »

......ow! The ultimate BURN
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 28, 2013, 10:09:06 am »

Not really. If the majority of Americans wanted increased gun restrictions, those senators wouldn't have voted against the bill, especially the moderate Republicans and the dissenting Democrats. Most of the "90% of Americans support this!" nonsense is from polls that ask if Americans believe in background checks, something that already exists. Going by the polls, even in the states where they do support some form of increased gun restriction, they didn't support the bill in question (see: the polls coming out of New Hampshire)

That's bullshit, plain and simple. This was the exact wording of the survey question:
Q: Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows?
And funnily enough, it's the exact same thing the bill tried to implement. If someone is telling you otherwise about the details of the survey, or the details of the bill, they're blatantly lying to you and taking you for a fool.

---

Every article I've read on the matter says the main part of the recently-defeated bill is mostly about expanding background checks (reuters) - because there are currently no background checks if you buy guns online or at gun shows. Here's New York Times saying basically the same thing about the recently-defeated bill. And it's not nonsense that 90% of respondents supported it - the actual survey question (washington post) was whether Americans support expanding background checks to gun shows - the very same thing the bill was about. No "gun ban", no shifting the goalposts with false questions, just asking the same question as what the bill was promoting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:23:53 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 667