Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822188 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8265 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:16 am »

* Egyptian government called for restraint on part of Ferguson police...

:D

It could be even more funny if the Syrian government made that statement.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: August 19, 2014, 04:28:51 am »

To be fair, protesters definitely torched two buildings tonight, a business (nobody inside I don't think), and an abandoned residence. Protesters also threw a number of bottles at police, empty and a couple filled with ice (saw video of both myself). Allegedly four officers were injured by bottles. No description of injuries was given despite media directly asking. Keep in mind that these police are covered in full battle armor and face shields.

Live rounds were also reported by several people, but I legitimately have no idea whether fired by police or civilians. Police obviously claim civilians, but they recovered no guns despite arresting tons of people in that crowd. The videos are useless - you can hear the shots fired, but both protesters and police were in all directions mixed up everywhere, and gas already obscured the entire area. Police were already rattling off rubber bullets and beanbags all over the place and launching gas, so the bullets are only distinguishable by a different sound -- muzzle flare is not helpful, since it was already EVERYWHERE. Two people were hit with bullets, both civilians, no other details. Really no idea. I honestly give it 50/50 odds that a civilian flipped out and shot and hit one of their own, versus police having done it (not saying on purpose -- but all week long, police have been unaware of their own positions or who was where, telling people to go in opposite directions, etc. Could easily see one of them firing "into empty space" i.e. the middle of a crowd without realizing)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:31:47 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: August 19, 2014, 06:41:37 am »

What.

Why does the riot police have flame throwers o.O?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: August 19, 2014, 06:49:03 am »

Not that I can see much from over here, but I'm wondering how the demographics of the protesters are shifting. I know for me, I honestly don't care extremely much about a cop shooting someone wrongly shooting someone. However, the cops running around with AR15's and MRAP's is a very serious concern. Cops acting like they're a soldiers is terrifying in both the straight logic sense (fun fact: the average police officer is so poorly trained as to be a disgrace to the profession of arms, only getting worse as he gets things closer to milspec) and from the threat to my rights.

Not to say that an iffy use of lethal force doesn't concern me, but the fuckedness of their original response and all the way that they're dealing with protests is enough that if I wasn't occupied right now, I'd strongly considering getting a mask and heading to Ferguson myself.

Dark days, I'd say. Hopefully the Nat'l Guard can act like unfuck-ups when they get called in.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: August 19, 2014, 06:49:13 am »

It's not a flame thrower, it's a grenade launcher with tear gas canisters. That's muzzle flare.

Nat'l Guard can act like unfuck-ups when they get called in.
National guard is already on scene as was all day today. They are instructed to merely guard the base camp so as to allow more idiot local police onto the streets. I.e. making it worse.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:51:34 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: August 19, 2014, 06:51:09 am »

Ah ok.

Still, your police force is pants on head retarded.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: August 19, 2014, 07:51:27 am »

Not that I can see much from over here, but I'm wondering how the demographics of the protesters are shifting. I know for me, I honestly don't care extremely much about a cop shooting someone wrongly shooting someone. However, the cops running around with AR15's and MRAP's is a very serious concern. Cops acting like they're a soldiers is terrifying in both the straight logic sense (fun fact: the average police officer is so poorly trained as to be a disgrace to the profession of arms, only getting worse as he gets things closer to milspec) and from the threat to my rights.
To be honest, everything I've seen says this is because you aren't a local and you aren't black. And it's exactly what the police want. They want this to become a fight about out of towners versus local police. They want it to be an issue with police militarization. They want a violent crowd and a violent conflict, because that is not a fight they will lose, and everyone will forget about the guy they are protecting who murdered an unarmed teenager.

But the people of Ferguson are the ones who have to live with the police when this is all over. They are the ones who have to deal with a police force that has no accountability. If it weren't military gear, riot shields and MRAPs and LRADS it would be fire hoses and dogs and and clubs. Only the details have changed, but this is exactly what the people of Ferguson have had to deal with for a century.2

For however bad the details might be, never forget that everything the police are doing, all of this, is to protect one of their own from even the possibility of consequences for breaking the law at all costs. And the people they are out there shooting right now with wooden bullets and teargas want nothing more than to see justice done.

The militarization is bad, but if people forget why this is happening the police win.

If you want to join the fight against the police tactics join the protest happening right now in New York and elsewhere right now, which are being dispersed in basically the exact same way (although with a bit more proffessionalism and less outright racism, no cops yelling for the animals to bring it on and stuff), but no one cares because that is, sadly, a losing goddamn battle, and there's a reason that is what the SLCPD are trying to make this about.

In other news: Police conference!
The police lead with a prayer that demonstrates no concern for anyone but the police. Then they lie about the sequence of events, which everyone can trivially check because it's all on tape. They showed two confiscated pistols and a confiscated "molotov" that never would have lit because it was clearly made by the sort of person who thinks you can make a beer molotov.
We do know at least one molotov was thrown several nights ago and them stamped out by protestors, so it could be real, but even by the things the police have said it still happened after their response, so it makes no sense to use it as the justification.
They are saying this justified their actions last night, in combination with the horror of the thrown water bottle that has put all the police on edge, and repeating the call for protestors to be in their homes by 4pm. He also claims it was just a coincidence that they rounded up and forced the press out at midnight, reminds people there is no longer a curfew. Says no journalists were arrested last night (that comment doesn't seem to have gone over well with the journalists that were arrested).

Police spokesperson is now in tears. Ignores all questions from crowd where answers might cast the police in a worse light than he's already managing to cast them.

Meanwhile, on twitter...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), is a prominent American think tank based in Washington, D.C., in the United States. The center conducts policy studies and strategic analyses on political, economic and security issues throughout the world, with a specific focus on issues concerning international relations, trade, technology, finance, energy and geostrategy."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:27:04 am by GlyphGryph »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: August 19, 2014, 08:36:43 am »

Meanwhile, on twitter...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), is a prominent American think tank based in Washington, D.C., in the United States. The center conducts policy studies and strategic analyses on political, economic and security issues throughout the world, with a specific focus on issues concerning international relations, trade, technology, finance, energy and geostrategy."

Spoiler: . (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:49 am »

Nope, same person on my ignore list.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:47 am »

I don't think that's what greatorder was talking about.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:29 am »

I honestly hope that's a troll that has the same name.

I honestly do.

It's not. They later took down the post an made an announcement saying the tweet was "an accident".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:32 am »

I honestly hope that's a troll that has the same name.

I honestly do.

It's not. They later took down the post an made an announcement saying the tweet was "an accident".

Probably a case of one individual using that and not realizing/forgetting that the tweet handle represents CSIS.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:28 am »

Johnson is now blaming the escalation solidly on the media, saying they media are "doing nothing but exacerbating the situation" and all need to leave.

Fox news reporter response:
"This is fucking ridiculous"
The Fox news said something reasonable.

The end is nigh.
._.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: August 19, 2014, 10:14:28 am »

It's a local station, not actually owned by Fox, just affiliated. So... yeah.

Best quote I've seen on the handling of the media:
tomorrow the cops are gonna have a guy shouting "HOW DO YOU KEEP AN IDIOT IN SUSPENSE? GO TO THE DESIGNATED PRESS ZONE TO FIND OUT"

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:14:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:45 pm »

Assistant Governor of Missouri with a statement perfectly crafted to calm a volatile situation, by describing the solution as "anglo-american justice":
Kinder said there was "no question" that race was playing a role in what was happening in Ferguson.

"We do not do justice in America in the streets though," he argued. "We have legal processes that are set in motion, that are designed after centuries of Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition, they're designed to protect the rights and liberties of everyone involved."

"That includes the Brown family, for justice for them and for the community. It also includes the officer who has not yet been charged," he added. "Our constitutional and our Bill of Rights protections have to be followed here, and we do not do justice in the streets."

"That's one of the great advances of Anglo-American civilization, is that that we do not have politicized trials. We let the justice system work it out."

Well... is that even a dog whistle at that point? Pretty sure that's just a regular ol' whistle.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 667