Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821987 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8235 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:27 am »

The Vice girls are the only reporters there worth a damn right now, apparently. Got footage of the private prison buses people were being carted away in, broke out of the media pen three separate times, grilled the cops constantly, bullshitted their way out of every situation they got in and got a lot of good footage of shit actually happening, while the mainstream reporters sat around in the pen recycling whatever garbage the police affairs person told them.

Police are now saying the protestors launched rockets at them?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

Please tell me that was a joke.

No joke. Admittedly, also no evidence of rockets.

Maybe they are talking about people throwing (launching) fireworks (rockets)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:53 am »

The media really needs to get footage of 'shit actually happening'.

Anybody else think adding in the national guard will just ramp up tensions? Because I don't see how that will help anything, beyond more manpower to keep the criminal element from doing the looting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:22:55 am by smjjames »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:59 am »

The media really needs to get footage of 'shit actually happening'.

Anybody else think adding in the national guard will just ramp up tensions? Because I don't see how that will help anything, beyond more manpower to keep the criminal element from doing the looting.

Since the police were apparently just standing around watching a store get looted until protestors came by and drove off the looters the other day, I'm not even sure if the police are trying to keep the criminal element from looting at this point. :/

As to the media, the only reporters who've shown a willingness to break the police media lockdown have been the vice reporters. None of the other news orgs are close enough to actually film anything actually happening.

https://twitter.com/thegarance/lists/ferguson
Here's the twitter feed aggregator a lot of my stuff was coming from.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:06 am »

Isn't it obvious? The police is not stopping the criminals because the policemen are criminals themselves.

I wonder if the National Guard will do the same they did in 1970. If they do...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:49:02 am by Sergarr »
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50:04 am »

Isn't it obvious? The police is not stopping the criminals because the policemen are criminals themselves.

Or they just don't care.

I think we can all agree that the Ferguson PD is screwed up.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:43 am »

Apparently Darren Wilson, the cop who killed the kid, lives over 20 miles away. In fact, almost none of the police force is local, and there is apparently an "occupier mentality", where the government doesn't trust hiring the locals as police anyway, and instead draws it's police from exclusively white areas, which explains the racial mismatch

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:53 am »

...for how long have they been doing this and how many years will the administration of Ferguson live in jail if they were found guilty for that?
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: August 18, 2014, 09:58:57 am »

Apparently Darren Wilson, the cop who killed the kid, lives over 20 miles away. In fact, almost none of the police force is local, and there is apparently an "occupier mentality", where the government doesn't trust hiring the locals as police anyway, and instead draws it's police from exclusively white areas, which explains the racial mismatch

Also explains the disconnect from the community itself since they aren't even part of the community.

Imagine if the NYPD, instead of hiring from the five bouroghs, they hire from halfway across the state, there'd be quite the disconnect between the police and the community itself. Maybe not the best analogy though.

Edit: Or to give an example for our Russian friends, say if the Moscow PD hired people who live 50 miles away from Moscow and aren't considered 'Muscovites'.

...for how long have they been doing this and how many years will the administration of Ferguson live in jail if they were found guilty for that?

If found guilty of hiring from outside the community? Pretty sure there isn't a law against that. It's a bad way to manage the police force, yes, but against the law? no.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:01:11 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:56 am »

If it's not against the law, then accidents like this will never stop happening. NEVER.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: August 18, 2014, 10:08:34 am »

I think you mean incidents and yeah perhaps there should be a requirement that the PD have a certain percentage of the officers coming from the community itself. Given that there's (roughly) 52 officers in that PD, 60% to 80% from the community itself should work while giving a bit of leeway for them to hire from elsewhere if neccesary.

Edit: Sergarr, does that analogy of mine work for Moscow? Though I think you might get the point I'm making from the NYC analogy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: August 18, 2014, 10:29:34 am »

Context: "We did our research: In 129 years since police and fire commissions were created in the state of Wisconsin, we could not find a single ruling by a police department, an inquest or a police commission that a shooting was unjustified."
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038_Page2.html#ixzz3Air1h33v
Not Missouri, but still relevant.

Additional context: The KKK was still doing active High School recruiting efforts in Missouri as of 2007.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:37 am »

Edit: Sergarr, does that analogy of mine work for Moscow? Though I think you might get the point I'm making from the NYC analogy.
At 50 miles, the only cities you'd find are Moscow suburbs, you would need to double or triple that to get somewhere.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: August 18, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »

Please tell me that was a joke.

No joke. Admittedly, also no evidence of rockets.

Maybe they are talking about people throwing (launching) fireworks (rockets)?
The press release guy said, IIRC, "They were throwing bottles and rockets at the police" and he was nervous and reading robotically from a script.  So he probably meant bottle rockets, though no evidence of those either.

Fine by me if he makes them look like that much more of dumbasses, without anybody else actually having been hurt.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:03:56 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 667