Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822236 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8280 on: August 19, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »

I'm in awe. Is he trolling? Can anyone really be that stupid?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:55 pm »

Is there anything stupid about it, exactly? It seems to suit his purposes perfectly, no? He'll have tons of defenders arguing it's a perfectly valid term because there's just enough plausible deniability when he he points out its a term liberal history professors might well use, and yet he also gets to make some blatanty racist statements that the animals in the street who want "street justice" need to just sit back and let the white man's system do its thing because they aint gettin' nothing.

Here's some of the literature he's released, to give you some background on the guy:

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:13 pm »

I... can't imagine a defense. He's explicitly saying that the law is good because it was created by "Anglo-American"s - I mean, if he hadn't said this in response to a question about the relevancy of race, sure, I could imagine an argument being made. It's not just that he used the term "Anglo-American jurisprudence tradition".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:31 pm »

I think if taken to task on it, he'd throw up some bullshit about how he was academically referring to the historical origins of our legal process, with a wink and a nod to any white supremacists in the crowd.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: August 19, 2014, 10:29:51 pm »

Yeah, but I don't see how he can since he specifically said race was playing a role.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:18 pm »

He'll say that's taking the statement out of context and is nothing but a smear.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:05 pm »

It's classic conservative rhetoric strategy, though... It doesn't matter how wrong it is, because the people already on his side won't care and just claim that reading racism into a historically accurate statement is trying too hard.  To criticize that defense means either correcting the history or de-constructing the rhetoric... but diving into details like that just doesn't sail as well in public debate.  The conservative doesn't lose anybody who already agrees with him, and his opponents lose anyone who doesn't already agree with them because it's impossible to make their opposition sound snappy and digestible.  So everything stays static, which benefits the conservative when they already have the most power on their side.

Edit:

Tear gas canisters at least three decades old found used against Ferguson protests.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:07:22 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:28 am »

May I get a source on that Kinder tatement please? I need to see this for myself.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:11 am »

It's classic conservative rhetoric strategy, though... It doesn't matter how wrong it is, because the people already on his side won't care and just claim that reading racism into a historically accurate statement is trying too hard.  To criticize that defense means either correcting the history or de-constructing the rhetoric... but diving into details like that just doesn't sail as well in public debate.  The conservative doesn't lose anybody who already agrees with him, and his opponents lose anyone who doesn't already agree with them because it's impossible to make their opposition sound snappy and digestible.  So everything stays static, which benefits the conservative when they already have the most power on their side.

Edit:

Tear gas canisters at least three decades old found used against Ferguson protests.

I don't think this logic really stands up as a "strategy" when you consider that you would accomplish the exact same thing if you simply omitted those phrases entirely.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:06 am »

But it wouldn't accomplish the smug satisfaction from being able to openly display one's bigotry and get away with it, and to reinforce the echo chamber that is the lifeblood of reactionary conservative thought.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:16 am »

i'm displeased that you imply that it's only extreme conservatives that live in an echo chamber

pretty much all extremists live like that

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:33 am »

Not something I meant to imply... just keeping things within context.

I would contend your statement a little bit, though... depends on what you consider extremist.  There are plenty of types that are considered extremists by the majority, but for whom an echo chamber culture isn't a major factor.  Example: environmentalists.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: August 20, 2014, 02:19:19 am »

Hehe, environmentalists don't have echo statements? I challenge you to read Greenpeace's opinion on fusion power and say that again :D

At least that applies to extremist environmentalists. Not so much for non-extremist environmentalists, but they're not considered extremists, are they? At least by non-extremist people.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:46 am »

That's why I said it depends on what you consider extremists.  In mainstream U.S. politics, anything more than a token shrug of environmentalist sentiment is seen as radical political stance, and has almost zero representation.  Pretty much anyone who engages in any kind of political activism for the environment is considered extremist by anyone who isn't an environmentalist, but I know you understand that not everyone who does is lulled into it by echo chamber bullshit.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons for a properly informed person to feel extreme urgency on environmental issues.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 667