Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822224 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8295 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

May I get a source on that Kinder tatement please? I need to see this for myself.
It was live on MSNBC, there's probably clips floating around.

Apparently despite offering to recuse himself, the governor has assigned McCulloch to prosecute for the case.

McCulloch absolutely hates black people, and has publicly stated the two days where things were calm were the worst days because the soft-handed tactics of the state police lead to a possibility for people that matter (police) getting hurt. He's also claimed that while the SLCPD was in charge, not a single person (that matters, aka police) were hurt which means everything the police have done so far was justified and, oh yeah, he has a long history of refusing to prosecute or intentionally botching his prosecutions against those who kill black people. The majority of his family is police officers, and he originally wanted to be a police officer, and he's never forgotten that a black man killed his father, which was even a talking point for his last campaign. He's arguably the one who argued to withhold the officers name, AND the one who lead the character assassination against Brown by pushing for the release of the convenience store video.

This is fucking insane. Putting this guy in charge of the prosecution and leaving him there is a bright flashing sign to all the protestors that says "Suck it, the cop is going to walk and you can't do shit."

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/mya_aaten-white_shooting_victim_from_aug_12_says_police_have_not_interviewed_her.php
This is infuriating. Police cover up, or just incompetence? Goddamn it what is wrong with these motherfuckers either way. And then they apparently tell the media the people who saved her were the ones responsible?

And it's kicking off early today. According to the regular big names on the ground on Twitter, the protesters have been using a local church to stockpile food, water and medical supplies, so they can use it as a sanctuary when things inevitably go horribly wrong.

Police are currently raiding it and confiscating everything, right down to the water bottles.

https://twitter.com/Awkward_Duck
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:21:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »

[police state intensifies]
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:16 pm »

Nah, the police and government are, so far, still separate entities.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: August 20, 2014, 01:32:46 pm »

Nah, the police and government are, so far, still separate entities.

Errr... what? No, the police are totally part of the government dude, they get elected officials and everything. They are the executive branch of government, but they are still part of the government.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:22 pm »

Aight that was poorly worded. What I meant is, the government isn't exactly in control of the police right now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:46 pm »

Aight that was poorly worded. What I meant is, the government isn't exactly in control of the police right now.

No, no, they are. The governor took control of the situation and then explicitly put the county police in charge and pledged state support (even putting the national guard under the control of the County Police). There were two days where the County Police weren't acting with the blessings of the government, and oddly enough those were the two most peaceful days so far. This is definitely *government approved* business as usual.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: August 20, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

The state officers took over completely for 2 days earlier in the thick of it, and things were a lot better. For some insane reason, the governor changed his mind, but they fully listened to him.
The governor still appears to have every ounce of control he should over the county police.

The complete cluster%^&$ is a result of the higher level government making poor decisions and not USING their control in a beneficial way to encourage the better outcomes. Not a lack of power.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: August 20, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »

Well then, it appears that I was wrong.

* Darvi unlocks achievement 'Words Never Spoken Before'.

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »

I think the National Guard is standing, uh, at guard while the St. Louis police are at work. Apparently the police are out-of-owners too.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:34 pm »

... Holy fuck. I think that the best solution at this point is to mobilize the Army/National Guard and use the to disarm the police and restore order.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:23:25 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: August 20, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »

Unfortunately, that would be illegal under the Posse Comitatus Act, which effectively bans the use of the Department of War Defense from engaging in law-enforcement duties (other than forcing a state to obey Federal law, as was the case when the 101st enforced Brown.) At present, this is a state-level legal crisis, not a Federal one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: August 20, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »

Pity.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: August 20, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

The integrity of Posse Comitatus has been somewhat questionable since 2007...

Edit:

Couldn't help but notice the darkly humorous foreshadowing of this comment by an anonymous military rep when interviews regarding the above...

Kevin Fields: So it is possible that the President can assign federal troops to act in law enforcement officials, and it NOT violate Posse Comitatus? Or would such a case clearly violate it, but nothing can be done about it?

Sgt. P.S.N.: No, the president cannot order them to act as law enforcement. He can order them to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Kevin Fields: What would be the difference?

Sgt. P.S.N.: You're not going to see Humvees patrolling your city streets, writing tickets, and arresting shoplifters, wife beaters, or even rapists and murderers. You will see them stop rioting, looting, violent demonstrations, and the like if the local law enforcement does not possess the ability to do so.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:08:19 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:49 pm »

Regarding Wilson firing shots at a retreating unarmed man, even if they didn't hit...

For reference, for a normal citizen in Missouri:

Illegal discharge, even intentionally into asphalt on a road (since the quote strongly implies but does not EXPLICITLY confirm an aimed shot) = 6 months weapon charge imprisonment
Illegal discharge aimed at a human being outside of self defense (such as them running away...) = 5 years imprisonment, weapons charge alone
Attempted murder (note that police training does not allow for wound shots or warning shots, all bullet loaded firearm usage is assumed deadly force) = minimum 10 years to life.

^

All of this is with regard to events now confirmed as happening prior to Brown being hit or whatever else happened or did not happen next.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 667