Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Playing DF at work.  (Read 11152 times)

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
Re: Playing DF at work.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:51 am »

If you have access to a utility like dd then write an image, send sequential snippets of encoded data in the signature of your email and reassemble the pieces at work. If not then write your own.

If you can't do that, then slinky dress.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48:25 am »

DF is awesome, but man if your job is that dull, you might consider another line of work (carefully, of course).  Don't get yourself fired over this: the economy blows.
Economy isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I've had no problem finding and keeping a job even in this economy.
Even took a couple months off from my job to go work the summer in Alaska for shits and gigs.

"So tell us, under what circumstances have you left your previous job?"

"There was a difference of opinion about leisure time."

"Can you please elaborate?"

"My employer was of the opinion that my liesure time, was better spent working for them."

[ALWAYS load responses to questions like that!]

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 06:14:21 am »

So, you can't download any file, or just specific types of files (executables, archives, etc)? If you have access to internet, you can download pictures at least, I think.

So, you can get df packed into wallpaper picture - see 'jpeg archive'. Unless your security dept is insanely paranoid, they are unlikely analyze whole binary content of pictures you download. For saveness you can split df archive into small pieces and integrate it into set of wallpapers. Then either download or email it to your company mail. Then combine them back into full df archive.

And don't use LNP utility, Dwarf Therapist and probably dfhack, since they can affect in-process memory of DF, that could be considered as a malware.

I wonder how do you exchange your work files... Maybe you can just pretend it's some kind of testing utility or whatever?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 07:56:21 am »

DF is awesome, but man if your job is that dull, you might consider another line of work (carefully, of course).  Don't get yourself fired over this: the economy blows.
Economy isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I've had no problem finding and keeping a job even in this economy.
Even took a couple months off from my job to go work the summer in Alaska for shits and gigs.

"So tell us, under what circumstances have you left your previous job?"

"Well to make it short there was something called a tantrum spiral which left me in a unique position (mute: alive). So now I'm considering other options than lye making"
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 08:27:09 am »

Might sound like a stupid advice but...
Ask if you can install it to your boss? i mean, if you have xbox around for testing, i suppose they might let you install a non-online game on the pc.
Unless of course there's the 'Don't install anything! And that's all!'
Or you can save everything on a micro sd, place it under your tongue and hope you don't swallow it.
Either that or actually...start bringing a lucky charm to work nicknamed 'cube of iron', which is empty inside (but teh guys don't need to know that) that can be opened like a really complicated rubik cube. Place inside usb. Close, carry heavy lucky charm to work.
It's made in iron so it's shielded. I hope.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 08:51:11 am »

Face it, explaining to a outsider why you would prefer to play DF in your work slack time is impossible. Any questions on what merits your loyalty to this item of entertainment gets sent straight to the corporate therapist. "Wants to simulate making hats of cat leather and designing magma-based doomsday devices in his lunch break"
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »

Surprised no one mentioned the humble cd. if you have an xbox available, just get a cd-r (not RW) format for audio and drop a few tracks on it, and use a zip of df as the last track. The file type will be changed to .cda (or whatever, its been a while) so all you have to do is copy the file off the cd and change the file type back to .zip. If the security asks about the disk simply show them its a cd-r and play the first track.

(I assume they will let you bring in an audio cd. . . )

am I really so old that smuggling data on audio cds is considered knowledge of the ancients?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »

^^security^^  But CDs make good frisbees :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

An "audio" CD was my first idea as well. Maybe security would let it slide if they thought it was just a mix of songs you like to listen to while you work. Say that their filters wouldn't let you download your music, so you brought it from home.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 03:58:06 pm »

I really have to say:
1. If your job is security-critical (as in what you do; I am talking about the task, not workplace), you should NOT play DF.
2. If your job is as a tester (possible; software leaks are not wanted), ask your boss if you can use a spare (!) system SUPPLIED BY THE WORKPLACE with no internet or network connection to play the game. Make sure that you bring DF, etc. in on a CD-R, and the disc will not be allowed to leave the premesis. Note: you will not be able to bring savegames out.
3. If your job is related to secure documents (which can NOT be afforded to be leaked; this is for the workplace), there is probably no chance that you can play the game in the workplace. I would not suggest it.

The difference between being a tester and not is that testers generally would have downtime. Additionally, the IT department may want to first analyse the executable themselves; if they do, there is a chance you will not be able to use Therapist, but DFHack should still be possible to use (Windows SDL DFHack loads itself along with the DF binary). Remember that there is labor management offered by DFHack, u-l, that is similar to DT.

If you are not allowed to play DF, do NOT try to play DF. It is probably not worth the risk; you could lose your job, and future employers could learn that you lost your job for a reason as silly as this.

Does Linux DF, in terminal mode, use the CP437 character set through Unicode? If so, SSH could be an option, if it is approved by your employer.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:22 pm »

They might check the tracks though.
So maybe place DF inside a song as a part of the 'track' and let the first minutes go by being hearable? (Is that even possible!?)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »

Its just a CDXA style mixed mode CD.

It has any arbitrary number of CDDA greater than one at the beginning of the disc, followed by an audio track. Just have DF's data track on at the end of the disc. All other tracks will play in an audio player fine. The data track will either play as horrible sounding noise, or get skipped by the player, depending on how old it is.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »

Some crafty people on these boards.
Would love to know more about compressing it into a jpeg file?
How does one do that?
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 04:25:07 pm »

How does one do that?
You can just change the file extension to .jpeg instead of .exe but most image viewers wouldn't know what to do with a pile of code that claims to be an image, so they just throw an error if you try to view it.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »

How does one do that?
You can just change the file extension to .jpeg instead of .exe but most image viewers wouldn't know what to do with a pile of code that claims to be an image, so they just throw an error if you try to view it.
Nifty, then just change it back to .exe.
Might give that a try.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7