Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Playing DF at work.  (Read 11124 times)

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing DF at work.
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »

Been searching for a way to play DF at work, with their overly secure proxies, its hard to find a way to get the game into the building.
Download's don't work, and I can't bring a flash drive in because it's a security breach.
Any ideas?
Also, for whatever reason I know when I run LNP on my home computer and start it up it registers as a "Virus" because it changes files within the DF folder.
Then comes the idea of how the game would run on these rigs here, I'm thinking a microfort may work. Cap the max dwarfs at 25 or so.

TL:DR Want to get DF to my work, without raising any flags, Best setup for microforts.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Playing DF at work.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »

You sure its worth the risk?  :P What am I saying, of course it is :D

Try email?  if you compress and send it over in chunks. . .

That or maybe a phone? 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:05:12 pm »

1) cameraphone or smartphone. They usually double as USB storage devices. Sneak in the data cable, wait for people to leave. Alternatives include email attachments to yourself with an inconspicuous filename, followed by deletion after downloading from the mail server at work.

2) unplug the ethernet cable from the workstation. (Snoopy employers frequently use employee monitoring spyware. Always check first to be sure that there isn't the "offline tolerant" variety in place that stores timestamped images for later retrieval. Most just allow an employer to peek at what you are doing from time to time though. Unplugging the ethernet cable is just good medicine.)

3) play vanilla only.

4) don't get caught!

Enjoy!

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »

If unplugging the ethernet was an option i would have, the computers have to be always plugged in for the tools we use.
We are also searched upon entering, and phones are not allowed on the floor. They use scanners at the doors to check if people bring phones onto the floor.
I'm thinking email, may work.
How would I go about checking if they have Spyware installed onto the computers, what are the usual file names for the sort?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »

If unplugging the ethernet was an option i would have, the computers have to be always plugged in for the tools we use.
We are also searched upon entering, and phones are not allowed on the floor. They use scanners at the doors to check if people bring phones onto the floor.
I'm thinking email, may work.
How would I go about checking if they have Spyware installed onto the computers, what are the usual file names for the sort?
Unfortunately, all the best legit keystroke loggers are going to be undetectable unless you're a security professional trained to specifically detect each one.  And mutating them is trivial, so that's no guarantee, either.

Unless you built the system yourself from hardware you bought from a trusted source, you can never be -sure-.  But as has been mentioned, if your company is that paranoid?  It's not worth using their assets.

Just bring in your own laptop.  If that's not permitted, best not to grab that tiger by the tail.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

Where the hell do you work that is so locked down? It sounds like it's not worth risking your job over to play a game.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

DON'T TELL US!  I want to live!  LIVE!

Seriously is it confidential?  sounds a lot like my BESS. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »

Dude, are you some secret government agent or what? Why aren't you allowed to bring in phones and USB drives and whatnot? Sounds like maybe you should just play DF at home.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »

Put the USB in your anal cavity.  :P They'll never know.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:20 pm »

Dude, are you some secret government agent or what? Why aren't you allowed to bring in phones and USB drives and whatnot? Sounds like maybe you should just play DF at home.
Guessing they screen my internet, and what I'm doing.
So I won't disclose who I work for.
But I will say having all these xboxs around the office is a pretty cool perk.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

... Third party QA Testing company? If I knew your location, I could probably guess which one.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »

Now now! Slashdot had a story on that! You don't want your employers to ask why you were dropping such obvious hints, now would you?

Thankfully, those of us slobs in the private sector that have security reqs due to govt contracts are often less aggressively monitored. :D

(I'm not at liberty to discuss what I make drawings of either. At least not specifics. Combination of mil clearance BS, and corporate proprietary BS results in "just don't talk about the classified bolt, ok? We don't want china to steal our secret bolt knowledge!" Type absurdity.

If your employer is *that* serious, you can basically garantee that the workstations are bugged, and that your logon and logoff times are logged and recorded forever.

I would fully expect the more nasty "we watch when you are sleeping!" Kind of spyware to be on them in fact.  Best not to chance it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:54 pm »

Guessing they screen my internet, and what I'm doing.
You don't have unmonitored home internet access or an internet cafe you can use?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »

I'm beginning to think maybe you should stop trying to play DF at work. If the security measures are that strict, the penalties for being caught with banned software likely aren't worthwhile.

I suggest you stick to minesweeper and solitaire.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:57 pm »

We just need to make Dwarf Fortress so popular that Microsoft includes it as one of the default games that comes with Windows.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7