Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Playing DF at work.  (Read 11132 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Playing DF at work.
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:24 am »

Am i the only one who noticed the Stalin picture?
Come on gents, he's KGB...but it doesn't exist after all, so he's a tester.
Didn't know they called spy weapons 'x-boxes' it does make sense though.
(Is joking)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2013, 04:02:46 am »

I'm working on a solution to this. I'm a software developer, ill keep you guys updated.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2013, 05:27:31 am »

Would love to know more about compressing it into a jpeg file?
How does one do that?
You can just change the file extension to .jpeg instead of .exe but most image viewers wouldn't know what to do with a pile of code that claims to be an image, so they just throw an error if you try to view it.
Nifty, then just change it back to .exe.
Might give that a try.
Well, if this stuff works - your security isn't a security at all!  :D I had something more dwarfy in mind.

What I was speaking of is to add DF binary data into some picture. Of cats, for example.
Here's the Boatmurdered wallpaper with df_34_11_win.zip embedded into it.
When you view it with image viewer - it's a wallpaper.
When you open it with 7-zip (or whatever archive manager) - it's a zip-archive!

it can be easily created by windows shell command:
Code: [Select]
copy /b Boatmurdered.jpg+df_34_11_win.zip Boatmurdered_df34.jpg
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »

What does file(1) say it is? If it says a ZIP archive, problems might arise.
I'm guessing it will say a JPEG, though.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

Would love to know more about compressing it into a jpeg file?
How does one do that?
You can just change the file extension to .jpeg instead of .exe but most image viewers wouldn't know what to do with a pile of code that claims to be an image, so they just throw an error if you try to view it.
Nifty, then just change it back to .exe.
Might give that a try.
Well, if this stuff works - your security isn't a security at all!  :D I had something more dwarfy in mind.

What I was speaking of is to add DF binary data into some picture. Of cats, for example.
Here's the Boatmurdered wallpaper with df_34_11_win.zip embedded into it.
When you view it with image viewer - it's a wallpaper.
When you open it with 7-zip (or whatever archive manager) - it's a zip-archive!

it can be easily created by windows shell command:
Code: [Select]
copy /b Boatmurdered.jpg+df_34_11_win.zip Boatmurdered_df34.jpg

^This.
I've done it, its easy enough to do, and most security wouldn't notice. It opens as a picture to any file viewer, but to a archive manager it opens as a zip. Add a password if you really want. That should be real fun when the security catches it.

Seriously though, most security wouldn't notice, but depending on your line of work...
I've got a friend who does intelligence work for the army, they teach this practice. And if you do anything requiring a secret or top secret clearence by the government, then expect to have individuals in security who know how to do this too.
My suggestion is to use a very large resolution picture compressed as much as possible (20-50% quality) so its increase in file size isn't so noticable. Maybe you can compress it further, or split the archive into smaller chunks and smuggle it that way.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »

Steganography on a .png might work too.

Basically, you use the fact that .png uses lossless compression to store a 1 or 2 bits per pixel color channel variation that then encodes an RLL or MFM bitpattern for your file.

Single bit manipulations on channels are not readily apparent to human eyes, the file would be a straight up .png, and nobody would notice unless they already knew that the file had MFM or RLL data encoded on the bottom bit of every color channel of every pixel.

Same with a PCM wave file. You can slip in a candestine single bit encoded message on the bottom of every every audio sample.  Plays just fine. Looks like a normal wav file. Running it through various FS tools wont expose the amendment.

Requires you to have some means of getting files in and out of the png or wav though.  Again, you can actually do that with excel, if you know what you are doing. :D

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 03:05:22 pm »

Well the obvious solution is to... STRIKE THE EARTH!!! Dig a tunnel under the security and up into your office, smuggle the USB drive in, install DF, and smuggle it back out again before they ever know you were there. Then build a fortress. (Under your work or in the game, either one works)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:20:46 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »

Steganography on a .png might work too.

Basically, you use the fact that .png uses lossless compression to store a 1 or 2 bits per pixel color channel variation that then encodes an RLL or MFM bitpattern for your file.

Single bit manipulations on channels are not readily apparent to human eyes, the file would be a straight up .png, and nobody would notice unless they already knew that the file had MFM or RLL data encoded on the bottom bit of every color channel of every pixel.

Same with a PCM wave file. You can slip in a candestine single bit encoded message on the bottom of every every audio sample.  Plays just fine. Looks like a normal wav file. Running it through various FS tools wont expose the amendment.

Requires you to have some means of getting files in and out of the png or wav though.  Again, you can actually do that with excel, if you know what you are doing. :D

Thats awesome. But how does he get it back out while at work? If he can't get DF there, the chance of smuggling another program seems unlikely. Unless of course he used this to get the file at work, then wrote a program to extract it while at work.

Perhaps you could file a hole in the sole of your shoes, and put a SD card in there. Perhaps wrapping it in aluminum foil or copper to prevent electromagnetic waves from getting in or out. Then again tricks like this were used by the russians a lot, I suspect if this is government related they check your shoes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otherwise, put it in a small plastic bag, tie string to it and to a tooth in the back of your mouth, and swallow the bag. Ideally the string should be long enough that the bag is suspended in your esophagus. But im not sure if the tissue would be able to stop the sensors from detecting it. Also, be careful with this, you don't want this getting in your lungs.

Its good to know that here in the forums we have access to people with such knowledge. Glorious the internet is.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »

Writing the software to get the bitpattern out of the file is fairly easy, if you know what you are doing.

MS Excel has a VisualBasic backend, that includes file handling routines, and full memory array and decision logic-- it's a fully functional programming environment, that runs inside Excel. It is often used by database programmers, and is also used to make "Very fancy" spreadsheets for economists.

Since Excel can load the .png file as a lossless data element (an image!) and gets the decompression for free (when it gets converted to a DIB to be displayed by a cell) all he really needs to do is get the RLL or MFM data off the bottom of each channel, then dump it to a file.  Excel has all that functionality.

A combination of an excel spreadsheet, and a .png file, and you are golden. :D

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »

Play the game on a laptop?
Or is that not allowed?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:28 am »

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2013, 09:19:44 am »

Get a digital watch with built in usb:
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=233765&a=233765&po=10,00.asp
They'll expect watches to have electronics in them

Ozfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:57 pm »

I would recommend you don't do this...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

I am heavily intrigued.
This may well be the first criminal case related to Dwarf Fortress.

Thinking about it, it would be hilariously terrifunny if they did a legal background check on the game and found Liberal Crime Squad. The media would have a field day over the "terrorist simulator" that it is, without actually looking into it first.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »

behind the steel toe would allow the toe to act as a faraday cage.
So, you mean that a toe can stop lightings from hitting you? (I mean - not directly, but that's a small problem :D)
We have some !!SCIENCE!! to do.

You can hire some proffesional thieves to instal DF in your work, I don't see any other option. Also, if you're working in FBI/Auschwitz/Alien Controll Agency, why do you have Xboxs everywhere? xD I can't imagine game testers being so strictly controlled... Unless you're testing some superfamous and superexpensive games, like BF4...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7