Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31626 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »

All right, long post was long.

But more to the point, I want to talk about the practical aspects of what different base cultures mean, and where they go when they become less "pure".

Human and dwarven civs, especially, seem ready to change from nation to nation, and from city to city.  Goblin and especially elven nations are going to be things far more reticent to change.  (Not even starting on kobolds, which can't really even fully speak...)

Goblins, by the nature of the way they act, are more likely to follow the whims of a single "great leader", for better or for worse.  Their Might Makes Right dogma means that any time the infighting is quelled, there is a relatively strong central power that can greatly influence the direction of the culture, but at the same time, this quelling may be nigh-on-impossible without some sort of powerful unifying force (like a demon or massive external threat). This can mean pretty massive social changes in a short period of time one way or another, similar to the potentially quite destructive changes wrought by the changing of an emperor of China. 

A demon might make a goblin nation purely militarized, with only research on ways to weaponize current tools or magics, or spread "evil" around.  In this case, I would expect to see more of a goblins using magic to spread their influence than technology.

A goblin ruler who sees a more powerful dwarven/human empire, however, and sees that their repeated assaults against it are turned back by superior techniques, ideas, and technologies, rather than simple brute force, may turn introspective, and start looking at what is "weak" within their culture, and seek to bring about change through whatever means will not make themselves look "weak", themselves, or open them to accusations of betraying their culture.

Adopting a "stronger" technology like steel manufacturing, for example, would be an obvious sell. 

Snatching is an obvious extension of their notion of might making right - if a child from another culture or race can climb to the top, they deserve that power.  If what they bring with them from that culture is something that gives them an advantage in that climb, it's something that should be adopted. In a sense, it's like a cross-breeding program, or an act for (both social and biological, when we get to interbreeding) genetic diversity. 

An overtly pacifistic technology, like learning how to grow more trees in an area, may actually become a valuable weapon in the right hands, as this could spur charcoal production for greater metallurgy. 

Goblins are, ultimately, unlikely to ever be a trading partner.

At best, they might be something akin to the Mongols or even the Huns and Saxons.  They conquer, but at the same time, are actually in awe of the empires they are toppling.  In time, they may even purely interbreed with their conquered subjects (as happened with the Huns and Saxons) to the point where they're just another part of a people's rich and colorful history.  They adopt or adapt most of the culture they subsume, and rebrand it with a more militant edge even as they, themselves, dull from what made them a conquering people in the first place. 

Elves are a much harder sell, since the most defining aspect of their culture is still fairly vague.  That is, the Nature Spirit.

Its ultimate goals are somewhat vague, except for maintaining its own sense of balance.

To one extent, as I mentioned in that long post in the other thread, it may be assumed that the nature spirit exists simply for its own self-perpetuation, since it depends upon the forest to sustain itself, and its primary motivation seems to be maintaining the balance of the forest's ecology.  The elves are merely stewards and/or clients of a compact to preserve this balance.

Elves outside this influence start falling very much into the "pointy-eared humans" territory, where they are merely more agile and have a residual animal speech.  (This may, again, be eventually made part of culture/entity, not race, by Toady.  That would mean humans raised in elven lands might eventually start talking to animals, and elves completely cut off from their heritage, or who have completely sunk into decadence or otherwise shun their nature cult would lose it.)

As I said in the other thread about how a nature spirit might react under duress, there may be some impetus to adapt on the part of a nature spirit that sees its balance threatened by external factors. 

Elves currently, for example, come in to trade wood and natural goods to dwarves, but in exchange ask that dwarves not chop down trees.  Basically, saying that they will provide the wood of their forests through their methods if the dwarves just please stop destroying the forests around them. 

If the human/dwarven appetite for wood or food or animals proves voracious, it can spur different reactions.  One is the violent reaction we most often associate with elves currently, with their oftentimes stupid and frustrating reactions to our player actions.  (Especially the outrage and attack over accidentally offering food with processed meat in it or a barrel, even one made by their own hands, without any real ill will.)

However, it's implied by many of the ways that elves talk that they do want to share some elements of their culture/cult, and if faced especially with someone who shows a more advanced understanding or willingness to understand some of the forces of nature humans and dwarves innately meddle with, they may react in different ways.

Permacutlures, especially, strike me as something that speaks to the nature of elves. Adopting it into the game, like in a segment of this thread, may mean that elves take a completely different take on how you maintain your land.  (Provided they are not still so stupid as to just absolutely count trees chopped down.) This would especially be meaningful if we start talking about magic biomes and having elven forests be a representation of a balanced contract sustaining a specific magical force. 

Magical energy sustenance, in a sense, could be something traded to the Nature Spirit (that rules the elves) for something different in return. 

The Spirit/elves themselves may be spurred to alter the balance of their forests towards a more efficient means of achieving the sort of magic balance they are seeking.  If trading away textiles or wood is what it takes to preserve their balance, and they can receive in return something of greater value to them, then it would spur them to alter their balance to create a greater excess of these goods.

Elven industry, while still controlled by the nature spirit, while achieving perhaps a similar end-result, would not at all be the same thing as a dwarven factory.  It inherently means bypassing concepts of training or specializing workers, and goes instead towards magically influenced creatures performing tasks by instinct. 

Again, this would mean that if the elves wanted to trade more silk, they'd probably go about altering their spiders to spin threads directly to the looms, and to alter the way they are fed and survive to be sustainable by altering their nature to be naturally sustainable.  (There is a species of spider, for example, that isn't insectivorous, but actually eats only the fruit of a specific tree...  Bring about a system where those trees can be farmed to encourage growth of those species of spider that are manipulated into spinning webs for protection from predators by the elves, and you have a "silk factory".)  That is, manipulate the nature of the creatures directly, rather than the land itself to hijack the nature of the creatures.

Of course, this is all going without saying what happens if elves really do just completely flip their Nature Spirit the bird, and abandon their nature-worshiping ways.  Again, they'd be capable of just becoming pointy-eared humans at that point.  (Dragon Age Origins actually makes a pretty good metaphor of "city elves" without their culture pretty much being stand-ins for Jews in a ghetto of human cities.) 

They may also just plain grasp onto a completely different type of cult.  A swamp spirit cult of swamp elves may praise and worship fetor and decay, and the burial and recycling of matter into the bogs.  Their influence may keep some things better left buried in check, or just take a very different take on nature than the forest spirit would.

A fully urbanized "fire elf" society, meanwhile, may forget entirely the balances of nature, and work towards a balance of magic that comes from almost entirely sentient beings or domesticated creatures directly serving the purposes of sentient beings.  Rather than worshiping a balance and renewal of nature, they may worship a balance of their own society's internally-equalizing forces.

I remember some of the ways that nymphs were categorized, for example.  Nymphs were the weakest, and actually mortal of the (female) gods, often children or grand-children of the gods and oftentimes had a mortal parent.  Forest nymphs were dryads, and were the tree-huggers because of it.  Their life and power depended upon their trees.  River nymphs existed, as well, but then, so did fountain nymphs. 

Fountain and well nymphs were nymphs tied to the power of an artificially-created source of water and magic.  They were, basically, an urban fixture, rather than a natural one. 

If a Civilization Spirit supplants a Nature Spirit during the course of the game, and elves come to worship that spirit of magic, instead, then you can have a whole race that worships a balance of trade rather than a balance of nature. Economist-priests spreading the gospels of Free Trade and warning of the decadence and decay of income inequality.

This doesn't even have to take the form of an elf abandoning one cult to start the next.  It can be a gradual change as the nature spirit, and what its dogma commands of its followers, changes in response to the times.

"I manipulate your reality to alter it to my own."

Soft Power Warfare is what turns an unstoppable Hun invasion into your neighbors. 

A sufficiently boxed-in, traded-with, and adapted Nature Spirit may just come to embody a very different force over time than it originally was.  A sufficiently altered ecosystem is unrecognizable from what it once was, as "nature" wouldn't have been represented as a forest in the ancient past of the Earth - ferns once were the dominant plant species.  There was a time where insects ruled the Earth.  Nature is just the ever-evolving balance.  The nature of a sufficiently adapted planet can change, as well.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:27:49 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:51 pm »

We need some kind of definitive answer on exactly what kinds of consequenes occur if elves flip mother nature the bird, if we are going to properly implement that into a consistent mathematical model. Vaugeries cause serious problems for such models. (Look at climate change models, for instance!) 

We need to know if flipping gaia the bird causes elves to stop being immortal, or to suddenly suffer dementia, for instance, and if so, what exact impact that has. (Currently, the dullest elf is over 2 times sharper on memory than the brightest human, for instance. How much of that is genetic, and how much of that is nature spirt blessing? This is very important for effectively calculating the impact of such a decision by a specific group of elves.) We also need to know what effect admixture of other races has on the currently hard-fixed species bonuses each race has. These are questions that cannot be definitively answered by us.

In such a condition, it might just be prudent to simply ask on the FotF thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 08:47:55 pm »

Likely it just causes Elves a lot of psychological stress.

There is so much written since I last posted and soo much of it is pointlessly long that it will be hard to get through.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »

Well, I don't know how Toady wants to actually implement changes beyond what might happen when it gets bred out of them through interspecies mingling if they leave their initial culture, but for the simplest version of it, they simply lose their more overt magical powers, including the tree-speaking magic that isn't exactly implemented yet, anyway, as well as (presumably) their animal-speech and neutrality to animals. 

Their immortality and perfect memory are shared by goblins, which, notably, don't require any specific deity to give it to them.  Hence, it may be reasonable to assume that may not actually be related to their nature spirit worship directly.  (But then, Toady can always say otherwise, and say that goblins get their immortality from something else, too, and "humanized goblins" shouldn't be immortal and go without eating.)

Given the way that Toady has used genetics before, mixed-race children may just literally come down to finding the average of the stats and then kicking it with a slight random bump up or down 10%.  (Presumably, this might also mean that a half-serpent man would have legs and a tail half the normal size of either parent creature.   :P )

This is presuming you are talking about what physically happens to elves that simply leave an elven community, rather than what happens when a whole elven society decides to openly rebel against their nature spirit, and what happens to their civilization from then on...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »

First, I want to reiterate that you not only can't consider one's "racial" culture nothing but a starting point, so that a dwarven nation that is isolated from all other races will have a different culture than a dwarven nation that has contact and intermingling with all other races, but that all cities/forts/whatever within those nations will also have their own cultures

The Dwarven Isolation is caused by their biology. Exactly what would happen if it was an entire race of Albinos.

Mind you dwarves that life exclusively above ground do not have that problem. So it is both a biological and society issue.

An elf among dwarves (especially an elf-king among dwarves) may have higher agility, and maybe a talk-with-animals ability (which may or may not change, I've seen Toady talk about changing that so that it's part of following the druidism thing) but they are not in connection with the druidic spirit of nature that runs elven cultures

Their connection to nature is bestowed to them by the nature of their very being and not because of any higher being's allowance. It is as inherant to them as humans have arms.

Meanwhile, a dwarf in an elven culture does follow those teachings, which includes the whole not cutting down trees thing and not using metal

An Elf wouldn't follow all the resulting culture from Elves. I already distilled what I thought was the fundemental aspects of a elven society that cannot change due to their biological makeup. Which was that their connection to nature skews the line between sentients and animals.

How about a 'research' bar that fills with bloodshed and death?
IN the end technology arrives because there is 'dissatisfaction' with something going on. Let's say it's a 'virus' of sorts, you need research to defeat it, but if the virus doesn't actually kill...well you get a cold and nobody cares very much about curing it right?

I think a less mechanical approach is in order and to stay away from "research points". The way artifacts are generated is in my oppinion a better way of seeing what inventions come up, with alterations needed, and then for the game to see if the invention catches on.

Inventions either being unique, adopted from other societies, or forgotten/esoteric knowledge.

Now, it is clear that we need a thread discussing the mental makeup of other races, which I'm currently trying to think up a good name for and thus defer to whoever is first on that front

Nature Versus Nurture in Elves, Dwarves, and Goblins

As for how it affects technology, what exactly do the elves need to innovate? Is all of their works magical? There seems to be an interest in dwarven goods, at least the pretty ones, but what about the rest? Forests aren't usually quite so full of dead elf-ready nutrients, what do they eat? I doubt the nature spirits wouldn't provide them with a guilt free alternative

Not all inventions are outright mechanical technology. Elves could discover new medicines, new ways of forming governments and councils, languages, New wooden weapon constructions, greater martial arts, Wood based archtexture, army formation, diplomatic treaty styles, greater understanding of nature, magic, spirits, food production, Cartography, typography, geography, survaying.

The difference between a advanced and a starting Elven civilisation could be immense. Especially if they thrown off their metal aversion and found a way to gather it without harming nature.

Personally, I think certain things should and shouldn't be discoverable. By this I mean certain things should exist from day 1, and that list can be argued (admit it, you want a challange where doors haven't been invented)

How I see it is that everything we have RIGHT NOW is available from day 1 as well as a few things along the way. The less technological races like the Kobolds and the Minor races have the most to learn and could concievably become the dominant race.

The way I would implement it is, if a dwarf is so inclined to research (or a research job is created), then at the appropriate workshop (smelter for instance) and if they have the appropriate skill (in this example some form of smithing

My personal oppinion is that research is something that occurs outside fortress mode. mostly because research is a vague concept. If it was something like studying bodies, with a doctor, so you can use medical proceedures on them in the not so distant future... I can see that.

If it is "You armorsmith, RESEARCH!". Technology should be a concequence that naturally occurs within a fortress otherwise.

Goblins, by the nature of the way they act, are more likely to follow the whims of a single "great leader", for better or for worse.  Their Might Makes Right dogma means that any time the infighting is quelled, there is a relatively strong central power that can greatly influence the direction of the culture, but at the same time, this quelling may be nigh-on-impossible without some sort of powerful unifying force (like a demon or massive external threat). This can mean pretty massive social changes in a short period of time one way or another, similar to the potentially quite destructive changes wrought by the changing of an emperor of China

It mostly means that goblin society and even their form of leadership is very unstable even when a strong leader occurs. Where how stable it is depends entirely on its leader.

I made a suggestion a while ago that Goblin attacks should occur less frequently after you slay a leader because of infighting to become the new leader.

Goblins are, ultimately, unlikely to ever be a trading partner

Ehh, I could see it. They would be a temporary trading parter and prone to betrayal, afterall there really is no such thing as loyalty to the goblins only favortism, but it could be done.

Elves are a much harder sell, since the most defining aspect of their culture is still fairly vague.  That is, the Nature Spirit

To me the nature spirit is not the requirement for Elves to function, nor is it dramatically different then other dieties other then it is a diety of a land mass (It is also why I consider Titans to be true incarnate gods)

This may, again, be eventually made part of culture/entity, not race, by Toady.  That would mean humans raised in elven lands might eventually start talking to animals, and elves completely cut off from their heritage, or who have completely sunk into decadence or otherwise shun their nature cult would lose it.

Honestly my view of it is that it is inherant and more stemming from the Elven existance and any "source" is purely in world mythology no different then saying the Human intelligence was given to them by Kukomando the god of Wind. It isn't something that can be divorsed from an elf and removing it would be similar to removing a major trait from an entire race or animal as it is deeply seated in their psychology.

Certainly the ability could be magically given to others... but in the same vein you can give intelligence to an animal or life to a corpse.

Though this is all interpretation really.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:18:21 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2013, 09:58:24 pm »

I was more appealing to a niggly thing that occured to me looking at the raw profile data for these entities.

Elves suffer a board-wide mean stat reduction to [patience] of 10%! This means that when confronted, by say, a "very persistent and stubborn" dwarven neighbor with lots of shiny axes going against the bark of 500 year old trees, the elves of that retreat may en-mass tell the nature spirit pleading for an integrationist solution to go sod off, having exhausted their patience, both for the nature spirit to DO something about it, and with the dwarves for being so excessive, and bluntly gluttonous about their wood cutting activities.

In this circumstance, a sizable number of elves from the impacted retreat would splinter off, and reject the patron spirit en-mass. This means that a new cultural identity would form, and the development of this splinter group must be computed seperately from the parent, the parent's loss of manpower must be reflcted in their ability to maintain territory for their patron, and the impacts of mass-rejection of the patron must be reflected in the splinter group.

In order to deal with these edge cases (if they even are edge cases, given the hard nature of the patience deficit weakness... dwarves have above average endurance, analytical ability, and focus. It is quite possible they would tell elves to stuff it, if they simply held advantage, leading to attrition, and patience demoralized elves), we need reliable consequence information.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:25:51 pm by wierd »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:24 pm »

I was more appealing to a niggly thing that occured to me looking at the raw profile data for these entities.

Elves suffer a board-wide mean stat reduction to [patience] of 10%! This means that when confronted, by say, a "very persistent and stubborn" dwarven neighbor with lots of shiny axes going against the bark of 500 year old trees, the elves of that retreat may en-mass tell the nature spirit pleading for an integrationist solution to go sod off, having exhausted their patience, both for the nature spirit to DO something about it, and with the dwarves for being so excessive, and bluntly gluttonous about their wood cutting activities.

In this circumstance, a sizable number of elves from the impacted retreat would splinter off, and reject the patron spirit en-mass. This means that a new cultural identity would form, and the development of this splinter group must be computed seperately from the parent, the parent's loss of manpower must be reflcted in their ability to maintain territory for their patron, and the impacts of mass-rejection of the patron must be reflected in the splinter group.

In order to deal with these edge cases (if they even are edge cases, given the hard nature of the patience deficit weakness... dwarves have above average endurance, analytical ability, and focus. It is quite possible they would tell elves to stuff it, if they simply held advantage, leading to attrition, and patience demoralized elves), we need reliable consequence information.

Wouldn't this be basically the same thing as a bunch of bandits splitting off from a human culture? (Granted, it may be a larger number of extremists going out all at once, but on the whole, it may be fairly similar in game mechanics terms.)

The only thing would be that it could potentially lead to creating wholly distinct entities rather than just camps, given enough population and the will to do so.  Plus, the culture-forming mechanics would need to obviously be more distinctly drawn, since they aren't just a bunch of ruffians.

This all leads towards another topic I actually like spinning around in the suggestions forum about the concept of loyalties, and what things different characters are actually loyal to.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:35 pm »

The raw percentages that would suffer demoralization would be depenent upon how we choose to weight things like elves "-10% patience vs dwarves +25% patience", and then throw in elves' honeyed words bonus (+75% linguistic), against dwarven focus and analytical (+25% and +50% respectively) powers. We would have to figure these on a per-actor, per interaction, per encounter basis, then weigh in who is converting whom on the front of ideology. 

(If for example, we have a "super elf" in the 99th percentiles, going against a dwarven dullard, then elves will probably convert the dwarf's opinion. If that dwarf is the civ leader, then the elves win the contest via diplomacy, the attrition never happens, and the dwarves become one step closer to the inclusionist agenda of the forest spirit.)

(Alternatively, if we have an elven hothead spouting off whitty, but offensive slurs at a cool, patient, and calculating dwarven leader, we can expect the wood choppings to continue until morale improves. )

The issue, is just how we want to weight these boundings. This is why I like to start with edge cases; satisfactorily defining edge cases, helps ensure sane boundings for more general interaction computations.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:18 am »

I never really understood this concept of "Ultimate/Innate Nature." Can someone explain it to me?

All I can get is that there is a paradigm of self-other. [e.g. Westerners-American Natives] Technology gravitates to places that can sustain its production/usage. [Cities,w/ Industrial/Business Centers] And finally, there is a controversy over the ultimate of species.. I haven't really seen an ultimate in any species, like dogs, or cows, and, I haven't seen them going towards a perfect form.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:17 pm »

It helps if you contemplate an "Other" that is "RADICALLY OTHER", and not just "Slightly other".

Say, A humanized spider.

A humanized spider has an "innate nature" that is different from a human. May have urges to hang off walls. May have a biological need to expel built up silk proteins from its spinneret, and need to go "Number 3" occasionally.  Might look at animals and get hungry/jumpy. If it has multiple eyes, might simply experience the perception of sight VERY differently. May have both an internal and an external skeletal matrix, making them able to do very fast twitch movements at VERY high intensities. (EG, can ram a finger through your brain, from just inches away from your skull, from a completely still hand, due to being able to use essentially 2 "levers", instead of just one. (bones serve as levers and fulcrums for muscles and ligaments, providing mechanical advantage. Having an endo AND an exoskeleton would permit double-levering, giving far higher torque power.)

Those are all things that are "innate"--  Every member of their species will have those qualities, 100% of the time, barring a deformity. Humans have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes, etc. Those features are "innate."

Let's imagine that said humanoids have spinnerets, and wear clothing. They might find the idea of wearing silk to be disgusting, because it's "Ew, that's somebody's Number 3!", much like humans have an aversion to clothing made from human hair--- OR-- They could be just fine with it, and make their own clothes. That's a cultural issue. This means that only SOME of them will wear clothes made from their own, or another's silk, and only SOME will go "EWW, that's number 3! GROSS!". These features are NOT innate, but emergent from cultural background and heritage.

In the case of elves, their version of "otherness" includes such freakish things as absolutely perfect autobiographical memory X2. (the dullest elf remembers things TWICE as well/fast as the most freakish human!)  This is simply innate to elves and goblins. THEY SIMPLY DONT FORGET. Others, are simply picking up languages like second nature, having superior musical ability, and the like.  Simply by being, their natural state causes feelings of inferiority in others, much like being around "That guy" at work, who simply outshines you at everything, only they are *ALL* that way. 

Elves have cultural elements as well, like their devotion to nature. They aren't all devoted to nature, as Kohaku has pointed out-- Cacame, for instance, was as "dwarfy" as any dwarf can be--- but was most assuredly an immortal, never gets sick, and remembers his 2nd birthday party just as well as yesterday-- ELF. He chopped down trees, killed and ate little woodland creatures, swilled alcohol with the best of them, and loved whirling his axe through invading armies. Very "un elven". SOME will be nature worshipers. SOME wont be.

Things get complicated with elves, because it is suggested that some of their seemingly innate abilities, like talking to little woodland critters, might not be an aspect of +75% linguistic ability... but instead be more the intervention of a 3rd agency, due to a cultural relationship. 

For example, (While a touchy subject)-- Christians believe that if you accept jesus, and the holy spirit of god, that you will slowly stop being "sinful", and become more "Godly", because the holy spirit puts a "new nature" inside you. Elves' nature spirit could well be directly tampering with elven psychology in such a fashion, making elves that accept and follow the nature spirit, literally different in temperament and how they think from those that abandon or reject such a nature spirit, and that some of those seemingly innate features are not really innate at all. This would clearly explain the [ethic] sections of their raws:

Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:MISGUIDED]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]
-> [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_EXILE]
-> [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_EXILE]
-> [ETHIC:LYING:PUNISH_EXILE]
[ETHIC:VANDALISM:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
[ETHIC:TRESPASSING:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
[ETHIC:THEFT:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
-> [ETHIC:ASSAULT:PUNISH_EXILE]
-> [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_EXILE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:UNTHINKABLE]

Note the penalty for oath breaking? Clearly, the forest spirits are dead-pan serious about their elven agents upholding their sworn oaths!

The issue at hand, is how those change when they become exiled, and what other effects that may have on them.

Does that help any?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:09:56 pm by wierd »

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:13 pm »

Personally, I think certain things should and shouldn't be discoverable. By this I mean certain things should exist from day 1, and that list can be argued (admit it, you want a challange where doors haven't been invented)

How I see it is that everything we have RIGHT NOW is available from day 1 as well as a few things along the way. The less technological races like the Kobolds and the Minor races have the most to learn and could concievably become the dominant race.

The way I would implement it is, if a dwarf is so inclined to research (or a research job is created), then at the appropriate workshop (smelter for instance) and if they have the appropriate skill (in this example some form of smithing

My personal oppinion is that research is something that occurs outside fortress mode. mostly because research is a vague concept. If it was something like studying bodies, with a doctor, so you can use medical proceedures on them in the not so distant future... I can see that.

If it is "You armorsmith, RESEARCH!". Technology should be a concequence that naturally occurs within a fortress otherwise.

The approach I described would be something for minor research that could occur in both world gen or fortress mode. While I agree pretty much everything we have already are things we should have at year 1 (be that the begining of time, or whenever world gen starts, such as when races begin to settle down and create civilizations), some things I disagree with, such as steel. I feel (this is personal bias), that steel should be something discovered. Perhaps if we had other complicated alloys we could implement them in such a way. But thats mostly a personal opinion. And because there will always be personal opinion in this, there should be a tag in the raws to control whats usable by default and what could be discovered.

As for whether or not it can be something you order a dwarf to do, I'm unsure. I think that there are probably cases where that would make sense. You find a new rock type, its probably a good idea to try some things with it, see if it smelts, etc. So I see cases where ordering a dwarf to do work with it makes sense.

So lets go to the case of your civilization has never discovered iron, and your fortress finds an iron ore. Since your dwarves and your civilization have no experience with it, you shouldn't be able to smelt it into iron let alone produce steel without a dwarf tinkering with this new rock. A dwarf might try and smelt it out of curiosity, in which case iron was just discovered. Maybe he tries making different alloys of iron, and eventually he adds ashes to the iron while its smelting, then he has discovered pig iron. Eventually he will probably make steel.

Its not like you could order an armorsmith to research making armor, and after sitting for hours he makes ordinary greaves better because he has discovered a slightly better technique. Now if you modded in Reinforced Greaves and made them discoverable, then maybe he managed to make those (perhaps it requires a few metal bars and leather) if he combined the right materials. So this process would only be useful if there is something to discover, it wouldn't make a process more efficient after standing still in a workshop for a long time. Making an already knwon process more efficient could be another thing to research, but thats out of the scope of my suggestion, and a different mechanic.

I was just trying to come up with a way research could be done, rather than beat on about when would it occur during world gen.

Also, this might not work well with everything. Medical procedures is a good example. It might be possible that they could be implemented this way, such as a brilliant doctor one day realizes, "I can sew that giant gash running down that dwarves arm! Maybe that will help him heal!" And so after doing it, and the dwarf lives, new practice discovered, sutures unlocked. But that is much more of a stretch. Although, if it worked as I previously proposed we could also see mad doctors proposing that a light magma bath can cure an infection, and the obvious failure results in good entries in legends mode. For now though, it would only work as a way to unlock certain processes that create items. So if alchemy existed, and your alchemist found a plant that your civ had never encountered, he might try experimenting with it, perhaps creating new potions (that are already defined in the raws, just locked behind a [DISCOVERABLE] tag).

The way I would handle knowledge with civ's and sites:
Note that this isn't how animal training knowledge is currently handled, so for know if the above were implemented it would work the same way, but this is how I would improve the system.

Perhaps individual dwarves need to learn it from a book or the a dwarf that knows it. Thats easy enough if you discover it, your other smiths would go and talk to the dwarf who discovered steel to learn how it works when they try to do a job for it, or if they were curious enough. Then they have the knowledge of it. If a single dwarf on your site has knowledge of something, then the site has knowledge of it, but individual dwarves need to consult in order to actually do anything with it. If there is a "catalogued book" on site, then the same applies. Although I'd like to see a case where there is a book on site, but no one knows where or hasn't read it, and in that case the knowledge isn't known to the site, but could be re-discovered by a curious dwarf.

Perhaps we have the case where a steel has been discovered by your civ, but your dwarves you embarked with didn't come with that knowledge, maybe a caravan happens to be carrying a book with such knowledge and your dwarves can then begin producing your own steel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »

*not in response to anyone in particular

I am against the idea of dwarves "Just knowing" steel.  Steel is not a straight forward process, and even in the 1600s, where steel armor and steel weapons were in fair abundance, the method of producing steel was *NOT* what dwarves use.  Dwarves make steel in a smelter. Medieval smiths made steel with a hammer, anvil, and a carbon source.

Compare:

Dwarven variant on the bessmer process:
Place raw iron in melting crucible
Melt iron
Blow air up through the melted iron in the crucible
Scrape off the slag
Add refined carbon (coke) to the charge
pour then rake powdered flux stone on top (makes an air seal to prevent oxidation)
incubate/keep molten-hot until all the carbon dissolves
Cast

Artisanal steel fabrication:
Melt the iron billets and blow the impurities.
Cast into working stock.
Heat the working stock in the forge
Heat, and shape, then dip into a bucket of oil. Roll over work, heat, anneal.
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Clench

Before the industrial revolution *ALL* steel was artisinal steel. The skill of the steel worker greatly impacted the quality and consistency of the steel produced, as did the quality of the fuel used in the forge itself.  Coal is NOTORIOUS for containing "Very nasty things" that make steel smithing very troublesome, like sulfur, and heavy metals. Really, only indirect heating (a magma-safe crucible surrounded by hermetically sealed magma, as an annealing oven), or direct heating with a sulfur free fuel (charcoal, refined coke) would be appropriate for artisinal steel synthesis. The number of times the steel gets carboned, rolled, and annealed, the more carbon rich the steel becomes--- also, the "Pastry crust" like nature of the steel changes many of its mechanical properties compared to homogeneous mild steel, like the dwarven method would produce. Japanese katana are artisinal steel. The steel body frame of your car is not.

Steel bars/blocks are NOT artisanal steel!

The bessemer process approach to steel production requires a breakthrough from "Working the iron with these ingredients, instead of those ingredients-- coupled with some property of the smith's, combines to make the iron into something magical!" into the more mundane "Steel is just refined iron with a consistent amount of refined carbon dissolved in it." Humans didnt figure this last part out, until we started seriously exploring chemistry. Alchemy would not be able to explain something like steel properly-- It would be more apt to explain it with the "Magic! Uses metaphysical properties from the materials and from the smith!" solution. 

Steel in bulk is not a straightforward process, unless you have a lot of knowledge already about the nature of mundane materials, like our culture does.  I don't consider it proper to allow dwarves to get to mass-produced steel without first going through the artisanal steel baby steps, and investing a LOT of hours into metallurgy, and alchemical sciences. Artisanal steel is ABSURDLY time consuming to make. A truely masterpiece sword can take *YEARS* to make.

It might be prudent to go ahead and separate the two, since they really ARE very different beasts. (A rolled steel katana is crap. Go for artisanal. The nature of manufacture makes it naturally sharp. An artisanal katana can break a rolled steel one, but only if properly used. [and nobody that owns a real artisanal blade would do that to their prize anyway!])

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »

I agree that steel (and mass steel production) should not be knowledges that dwarves 'just know'.

i believe they should be somewhere on the level of the iron age (as far as metalworking goes) when worldgen starts. Humans should have either no knowledge of workijg metals, or they should know how to smelt copper.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2013, 05:32:43 pm »

I always just assumed the gods had given steel making as a gift to the dwarves. It's not supported in game right now but the kind of thing I expect to see in the future. If innovation does get added it could at least be used to form the basic level of technology in the world. It could even spice things up later.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 06:20:44 pm »

Answering the original debate:
How about a 'research' bar that fills with bloodshed and death?
IN the end technology arrives because there is 'dissatisfaction' with something going on. Let's say it's a 'virus' of sorts, you need research to defeat it, but if the virus doesn't actually kill...well you get a cold and nobody cares very much about curing it right?
Now instead you get the Ebola, kills millions, might leave your fort empty and here you go: research starts to find the cure!
Idem with war: you fight and kill each other and you 'research' ways of doing it better (gunpowder, cannons, refined gunpowder, new 'magical' armor against bullets)
And since innovation doesn't 'die': well just make the +1, +2, +X keep on going the more bloodshed there is.
When there is peace there you go: stagnancy.
Let's face it gents, it took two world wide war to take off our backs the Dark Ages. Why would Dwarfs be any different?
I like this idea, because it provides a way for fort mode contribute to innovation, but still allows innovation to be rare.

However there are two problems:
A, inventing something should be tied to using something similar.
B, Inventions should be realistic, and not just +1 armor streangth or something.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18