Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31596 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2013, 01:01:38 am »

I can well ask the same question, given how you keep giving preferrential weight to your own opinions as if they were fact, ad handwaving or ignoring any examples I provide to the contrary. It isn't that I don't read your arguments. It is that I have refuted them several different ways, but you cannot accept or see it. This is getting ugly, and I don't want to pull the thread through another slogfest.

You asserted that knowledge, contained in books, does not alter a culture, only books on cluture does this.  I pointed you to Galen.  His is more knowledge and technique, than it is culture.

You rebut by asserting I did not read.

Here we are.

As for misunderstanding "technology", I would conjecture that it is your own understanding that has outstanding fault.

The word is a portmanteu of "teknos" and the suffix "-ology".   It is a very ancient greek word, and literally means "the study of systematic applications and techniques."

here is its etymological origin

Galen's work is pure technology, in its most pure form. It held back additional technological innovation for over a millenium.  By doing so, I radically altered the societies exposed to it.

This directly proves my point, QED.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:08:11 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:31 am »

Yeah there is a reason why I said this is off topic...

Though I am calling someone to see if it counts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:13:20 am by Neonivek »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2013, 01:51:04 am »

Debate has been too heated from very early in this thread.  It doesn't matter if it is on-topic or not at this point.  I'm locking this.  wierd and NW_Kohaku could be more civil in the future.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]