Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31614 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:54 am »

Answering the original debate:
How about a 'research' bar that fills with bloodshed and death?
IN the end technology arrives because there is 'dissatisfaction' with something going on. Let's say it's a 'virus' of sorts, you need research to defeat it, but if the virus doesn't actually kill...well you get a cold and nobody cares very much about curing it right?
Now instead you get the Ebola, kills millions, might leave your fort empty and here you go: research starts to find the cure!
Idem with war: you fight and kill each other and you 'research' ways of doing it better (gunpowder, cannons, refined gunpowder, new 'magical' armor against bullets)
And since innovation doesn't 'die': well just make the +1, +2, +X keep on going the more bloodshed there is.
When there is peace there you go: stagnancy.
Let's face it gents, it took two world wide war to take off our backs the Dark Ages. Why would Dwarfs be any different?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

I own this thread. Kneel before my Lock!

Now, it is clear that we need a thread discussing the mental makeup of other races, which I'm currently trying to think up a good name for and thus defer to whoever is first on that front. Secondly, it is certainly going to affect this discussion, particularly with the eventual fortresses for other races planned which we arguably now have the bare basics for. It would help vastly if we had a stickied thread which contained the collected knowledge on each race from toady and threetoe sources, as I'm under the impression that goblins are demons on the lower end of the hiearchy and need their kidnapped children to overthrow inevitable lordly demon rulers, and i know fuck all about the nature spirits with the elves and something about fae folk from other planes with the kobolds, let alone trolls. I suggest said sticky is referenced on matters of race from here on out.

As for how it affects technology, what exactly do the elves need to innovate? Is all of their works magical? There seems to be an interest in dwarven goods, at least the pretty ones, but what about the rest? Forests aren't usually quite so full of dead elf-ready nutrients, what do they eat? I doubt the nature spirits wouldn't provide them with a guilt free alternative. Oh the irony if the elves eat things which dwarves would go to war for. To my eyes, the only things which the elves genuinely want or need is better more efficient (possibly cruel, too) ways of protecting nature and their homelands, and the only immediately obvious failure of elven technology is the timescales they work in. Cutting that is the idea.

Also, no more lambasting over pc'ness to refute arguments. It's loaded and you know it, and in this case I'm Rome.

Resume!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:03:27 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »

War produces additional temporary need, as does a plague. In both cases, increased need, tabulates to increased rate of technological development. On this we seem to agree.

Even "Peaceful" (cough) tech development is really driven by needs of other sorts, be they petty (like in the space race, where ICBMs shot at the moon were "making up" for damaged self image.) or practical (We need to stay competitive to remain relevant on the world market.)

Necessity really is the mother of invention.

I am not so sure I like the idea of "progress bar" type research though. I don't have a truely better proposal, but I dislike it, for its over use as a mechanic.

I would rather see a top end put on technology, with a modified LOG function for "total knowledge" required for acquisition, all done behind the scenes.

Here's an idea to float:

Theoretically, the more pressing the need for something is, the more people in a civ will rush to fill it. The more people working on solving that need, the more ideas are created, and shared within that civ. The more ideas there are being circulated (even old ones), the greater the probability of a breakthrough.  Setting limits for "total number of people in that vocation" before unlocking tech, with the exception of importing that knowledge as an override (books, immigrants, and to a lesser extent, exposure to finished goods.), would roughly approximate this.

So, you end up with a curved graph, starting off pretty flat on the left, but growing steeper as it goes right. (not TRUE LOG though, or else top tier techs would NEVER be attainable! Just "LOG-Like.")

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Treating a book as being equivalent to a craftsman within that skill tree (as a proxy repository of an idea), would make having lots of books on the subject equal to having lots of craftsmen, without the logistical overheads, making it more possible to attain, and would allow knowledge to be directly traded between civs. This means civs would need to make books to retain current knowledge, so that craftsman can focus on 'improved' knowledge. This prevents a civ from relapsing on tech, if all the craftsmen are lost through some event.

Why a LOG curve?

Ok, Let's look at it this way:

I have an embark that I started at year 1, on an island. I wont be getting *ANY* visitors, ANY time soon!

I have 7 dwarves, and I assign 2 of them as combo masons + miners.  That is 2 people, theoretically making ideas, and sharing them. The chance of discovering a cure for a disease by chance is not 50,50. It's closer to 1,99999 than it is to 50,50. If we extrapolate that to developing a specific technique, we have a 2 out of (some increasingly large chance) of discovering the technology as an idea, or adapting an existing idea into a new one.  Our dwarves are posing as surrogates for ideas, so we (wrongly, but imposing more realistic metrics makes this computationally burdensome) assume that each of them only has 1 idea about that tech inside their little pixellated brains. The first dwarf, at the start of the log curve, holds the idea that if you swing  the pick at the stone wall, you can knock off chunks. The second one holds the idea that if you swing it a slightly different way, it knocks off a little bit more that is useful. Etc. The more dwarves you have that are competent in that skill, the more "ideas" you have in circulation, and the more profound the technology available.  When you throw in books, which allow a dwarf to write down their idea, so that if they die, you dont lose it-- (capped at 1 book per subject per dwarf, to avoid runaway breaking of the system), and you can effectively double that immediately. The first dwarf writes his idea down, the second dwarf writes his idea down, and now both dwarves can hold new ideas, drawn from the first ones. Kinda like a mood, in that it only happens once, per competent or better skill. Once they write the book, they just serve as a repository for that knowledge, and as a manufacturing cog.

The dwarves at the site procreate, and I assign the child the same labor as my 2 previous dwarves. He reaches competent, and gets his first idea. We now have a value of 5. He book-moods, and now we are at 6.  Because we arent getting migrants, our population growth rate is very slow, since we only have 7 starting dwarves (meaning at most 3 pairs, if genders are equally distributed), and it takes 12 years for them to grow up and have children of their own.

Compare with a site that is on the mainland, and is accessible.

We start with the same 7, and select the same 2 in the first year, and get to a tech idea count of 4 quickly. Migrants come, and some are ALREADY! competent at this skill! Their ideas immediately add to the pool, and then they bookmood, raising it higher. 

We now have considerably more than 7 adult dwarves, and the rate of population growth is likewise considerably higher. As such, the rate that "New ideas" come into the fortress's tech tree increases exponentially faster than does the isolated island embark. THAT is why we use a LOG curve.

The faster the civ's population reaches competent, writes their ideas down, popps off, and get replaced with fresh recruits, the faster the civ's "Technological pulse rate" will be.  This does not yet factor in the distribution of the population doing certain tasks though.

It makes no sense for a fortress to have 199 miners, and 1 farmer. Not unless their economy is explicitly tied to selling raw stone anyway.  It makes more sense to have about 5 to 6 miners, 2 to 4 farmers, and lots and lots of other mixed tradesworkers, based on what is available, and what must be traded for.  This is why books are really necessary, and invaluable. They essentially allow you to operate as if you have considerably more dwarves on site than you actually do, with no reasonable cap to the number of books you could theoretically store on site. The city of Alexandria was what it was, because it was a massive nexus of stored knowledge, in the form of books, which attracted minds containing new ideas. In an era where people generally believed that the heart was responsible for consciousness, Galen was demonstrating how the brain was actually implicated, through his experiments and exchange of knowledge in Alexandria.  That's how big an impact books are.

So,

Let's say you would really like to have steel weapons, because you have iron ore, magma, and boatloads of flux on your embark, but steel is not obvious as a process. You have a few choices...

1) WAAAAY disproportionately pump metalworking until the dwarves learn about steel. (dwarves can be proficient in may skills, afterall. It's just a matter of investing the time and resources to build them up.)
2) Train, bookmood, then slaughter dwarves to get books built up, and rely on migrants to get fresh minds at a reasonable pace to progress, and risk being labeled a deathtrap.
3) Buy copied books from the caravan, at a very high price, and build up a library.

To avoid game breaking consequences, we prevent making copies of books on site in fortress mode, but we might be able to allow that if the player foolishly sells an original book at market. (If we allowed mass copying of books, and used books as a surrogate for dwarves containing skill knowledge, then we allow a runaway process where copied knowledge == new knowledge. This wont do at all, so we forbid copying of existing books on site. Either that, or we use some combination of data flags on copied book items, to prevent multiple copies of the same book to count toward the score-- making the copying and selling of books into a new trade.) This is kludgy, and artificial-- and needs good ideas. Please contribute.

The RNG should weight the distributions of craftspeople in generated civs, based on intrinsic racial need modifiers, and site location scarcity levels.  Craftspeople density should only swing above "meeting need", where trade is required to get sorely needed materials or goods. (like dwarves needing wood for beds, but living on desolate mountains) Overproduction is just as bad as underproduction, unless it meets a need tangentially. (Rabbits only birth litters of 12 or more kits, because lots of them die. Animals with lower mortality rates birth fewer young, like humans. Overproduction is bad! You only overproduce when you expect to lose much of the produce, and gain something else by that loss.) Determining how to do that, is not something I have really thought hard on. I'd love to see some ideas.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:12 pm »

It could be set with the 'Teacher' skill. Sort of like: good teachers make good thinkers. So we could have purely theoretical individuals handing over 'research points' but at the cost of the dwarf being busy only in theoretical stuff, and if he is quick to bore or something like that he makes a suboptimal researcher.
Needs could actually be traced I think: see the number of pings per minute a dwarf makes to reach a stockpile for something (like wood, beer or similar) assign it to a 'research tree' and have a percentage increase through time. If the pings are related to heavy materials, the dwarf thinks of ways to make it 'lighter' to carry or easier to reach from and to. It develops thus wheelbarrows and minecarts (already in game, but it was to make a point) given enough time he could develop cars...or tanks.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »

I could see things like mobile seige engines, but cars and tanks require far more minds collaborating than you realize. While one guy came up with the internal combustion engine prototype, he did so after a long buildup that produced the external combustion engine, including input from physicists, like Newton, metallurgical innovations in steel production like the bessmer process, and a host of others.  LOTS AND LOTS of books.  Alexandria was "getting close", but also contained many millions of books.

It's just something to keep in mind about that sort of thing.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:47 pm »

'Books' are more of a way to quickly share knowledge in my opinion, rather than the key for knowledge to evolve.
You have a library. That doesn't mean that if you put a human in there he comes out einstein. He'll lurk around, grab a few books read them and say 'alright, I now know enough' and then leave.
You need 'driven' individuals that pour themselves over specific topics and expand upon them. The more you have the faster you go on that regard.
Maybe that would be the key. 'Combinations' of 'Researchers' all delving in different aspects, that can be 'upgraded' to researchers through the use of a set quantity of books and that then unlock determined things when their numbers grow to a certain status.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:02 pm »

I dislike progression bars, because they often turn the game's focus onto them. In many RPGs and MMOs, the only thing that's important is the slightly raising EXP bar, or the number that comes after your skill name, and the rest is just too much background noise. Even if there is some sort of a progression bar, I think it's best to hide that from the player, or at least not make it incredibly obvious (like a great big bar in the "research" screen that says: THIS LONG UNTIL YOU CAN HAVE STEEL.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

I agree. That's why I would prefer for it to just suddenly turn on in the build tree, possibly with an announcement "Likod Ducim has learned the secret of steel!" or some such, if he is the straw that breaks the camel's back, and pushes the site knowledge up to where it needs to be.

About all I want to see on the status/civ screen, is a general slider that shows how your embark does against neighbor civs. (How much more do they know, and in what areas, that way you can request books more intelligently.)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:51 pm »

Link to collection of information on races thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122647.0

Link to psychology/nature vs nurture thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=2.0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:43:47 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:52 pm »

Edit: needless post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:44:03 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 01:28:19 pm »

Editing is a thing, you know.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »

As usual, astute. Then again, at least the main debaters will see it this way. To OP! *whirr*
Reading a thinner book

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:56 pm »

I just meant that there was no reason to doublepost.

[/derail]

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »

Reading a thinner book

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »

Personally, I think certain things should and shouldn't be discoverable. By this I mean certain things should exist from day 1, and that list can be argued (admit it, you want a challange where doors haven't been invented).

But to start, certain "processes" are in my opinion the easiest to begin implementing research with. Metalurgy and alchemy being prime examples. (world gen paramaters that makes this happen are out of the scope of my post).

The way I would implement it is, if a dwarf is so inclined to research (or a research job is created), then at the appropriate workshop (smelter for instance) and if they have the appropriate skill (in this example some form of smithing, a cheesemaker wouldn't be doing it without some experience), they can try creating new items by combining random workable items, and of course keep a list of attempted items so we don't have a dwarf trying to smelt microline forever.

So for example, Urist spends a certain amount of idle time (because he is so inclined to research, otherwise its a queued job he can fufill) trying to smelt, or refine, random rocks / bars. So he might try smelting microline, or he might try combining iron with microline in a smelter. This would eventually lead to him inventing pig iron. And we get a discovered message.

Perhaps his notes could be stored in a slab or book, and if the fortress were lost his notes would be too. Perhaps rediscovering his notes could be a way of rediscovery, either by adventurer or reclaim. How this should be handled with the civ is a good question, I would like to see it possible for the technology to be lost, and widespread copying of his notes changed that. Perhaps a site has knowledge if a dwarf owns a copy of notes that has that information, thus if the notes are lost in every or most sites, those sites don't have access. So if we ever get nobles who mandate the banning of certain research notes, loss of technology accomplished.

I also like this idea because a player could influence research. Lock a dwarf in a room with coal and iron bars and hes bound to discover steel. So its like danger rooms, use them or not, your choice.

This really only works with certain things, but its a small start. For instance we probably can't use this process to make a bridge (well maybe, but thats debateable and questionable if its even desireable).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18