Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55

Author Topic: [ISG] Blunderbuss: Nuts to the fuzz, let's go all Nancy Drew on this Biz!  (Read 139484 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blunderbuss - an Illustrated Suggestion Game
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:56 am »

Ok, how about this, we curiously inquire about the academy and ask after work? Then figure it out from there. I don't think we should be buying anything right now because we've only got 19 silver coins and 4 inventory spaces available.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:34 pm »

««« 22 »»»

Something's up with that cat, is it a familiar?

Is the cat a Familiar? You suppose it's possible, though that would make the old man a pretty serious criminal. Unlicensed spellcraft tends to stir up the hornets nest here in the Exemplarate. You know it's been a few generations since there was a full-blown Inquisition, but if illegal spellcraft were happening here in Dossent, it could make things turn very ugly. The kind of ugly that ends in a lot of dead people.

Not a pleasant thought. You take a quick stock of what you can remember about Familiars.

> MAGICK LORE CHECK: 12 (5+7)

You recall one of the fables you heard during your childhood, about a young Warlock who lived long ago. This was in the days before the Exemplarate came into power, when Daemons still roamed the land, and Magick was practiced openly. The young Warlock was studying the invisible currents of the Astral, from which spells draw the power to change the world, when he discovered a wispy spirit of smoke and light drifting through it. The astral spirit told him that it envied creatures of flesh and blood such as he, and wished it could live and die as they did.

The Warlock struck a bargain with this spirit. If it would share the energies of the Astral with him, he would in turn give the spirit a physical form to experience life with. The Warlock created a ritual that allowed the spirit to enter the body of a snake. Together, the snake and spirit became the first Familiar; an animal with the intelligence and supernatural powers of the spirit. However, the Familiar had also inherited the treacherous and spiteful personality of the snake. Since it had no need for the Warlock once the ritual was complete, it killed him with its venom, rather than live its days serving him.

There was probably a lesson tacked onto the end there, but you don't really remember that part. However, you do remember your teacher saying that some Exemplar or other revised fables like these, to warn people of the dangers of spellcraft. If that's the case, the original might have had a different ending anyway.

Some stories make Familiars out to be monsters with blazing eyes and terrible strength, while others say they're indistinguishable from regular animals except for in how they act. In either case, other animals won't have anything to do with them.

As far as you know, there's really no good way of telling if this cat is a Familiar or not. Even so, there's no reason to suspect someone is dabbling in the occult, just because they're a scholar, and have a pet. Besides, Magick is all blood and otherworldly energies and ritual incantations, while Alchemy is all formulas and ingredients and such. They're two very different things.

Do you like him? His name is Mouser. And a great lot of good the name did him too... he's useless for keeping vermin out of the archives. Seems he just wants to make friends with them.

I think we need an Alchemy primer. Ask how much Alchemy for Dummies (a reference for the rest of us!) is.
Five tindertwigs, and five pre-packaged poultices with wraps for wounds, along with needle and thread for stitches if possible. All contained neatly in a bundle so as to fit in a single inventory space called, wait for it...

MED KIT. Also the twigs are a separate bundle.
Tell him how you're looking for a bit of work and ask him if he's got any errands he'd like you to run.

Speaking of names, what did you say yours was again?

Actually, I'm not sure I ever introduced myself. I'm Maja.

Well, Maja, I noticed you looking over the shelves for a while there. Have you decided what you wanted, or do you have any questions?

Well, a lot of these things look interesting, and pretty useful. I've always been curious about alchemy, and I'd love to pick up a book on the subject, or maybe attend one of your lectures some time.

Though I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm, to be honest, I don't have the patience to teach beginners anymore. My students all have extensive alchemical backgrounds, and are dealing with advanced principals. Books, on the other hand, would be a good place to start. I'd suggest "Finrick's Fundamentals," which should be enough to get you started with separating out reactive vapours, solids, and liquids from various reagents, and crafting some simple volatiles and curatives on your own. I'll get a copy for you in a moment, but was there anything else you were looking for?

I also wanted to put together a simple Medical Kit. You know, bandages and poultices for wounds, a needle and thread, maybe a few tindertwigs for cauterization or cleaning the needle. Just something for the road.

I think Melody can put together something for you. So you're a traveler, and not from around here then? That does explain the hat.

Pffhahaha!

...by which I mean it looks like it's designed for keeping the sun off while on the road. Are you a pilgrim then? A bard? A hero or a heretic? What's brought you here to our little port?

A pilgrim, I guess. I don't know how long I'll be staying here. It all depends on... things. But right now I'm just looking for work.

Friendly, medically-trained, and looking for work? If you're quick on your feet, that girl gamboling around on the shelves might be out of a job.

Sadly, I think I'm the only one left in the land that's still willing to look after you... though perhaps The Grand Circle could set you up in a nice manor house in the north, with a full staff of servants. Might take a bit of grovelling and backside-kissing though.

Hah! I'm sure Kynes and his lapdogs would like that too. Set me up with a cell where I can wither up and blow away, while he publishes all my works in his name!

Such is the cost of being rid of me, I'm afraid.

Well, let's not write off our friend just yet, he may surprise us. What do you say? Of course, if washing piss out of my bedsheets twice a week isn't your idea of gainful employment, I can think of one other thing you could help me with.

Er... what did you have in mind?

It involves moving a large quantity of explosives from one place to another. Very... explosive explosives. It shouldn't be dangerous, but the risk is there. Think it over. The compensation should be adequate, if you're interested.

Speaking of compensation, that Medical Kit is going to cost you 10 Silver, and "Finrick's Fundamentals" is a steal at just 15. And I'll even throw in a lack of jibes regarding your wardrobe absolutely free.

Great. It seems you're too short on coins to get both items. You're not sure how you feel about this job offer either. What to do?
>

Spoiler: Party Roster: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OTHER STUFF (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:09:09 am by Solifuge »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2013, 03:05:14 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »

explosives shipping time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

after giving it some thought, I think we should go for the book. its not useful right away, but I'm hoping it will help us find sell able ingredients that we could sell.

about carting around explosives... errrr sounds dangerous. but I can see it I guess. could he tell us more about the job. like specifics?? will there be other people on the job? is there a cart? or a bag? where do we need to go? any reason to expect angry people who want to hurt us?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:42 pm »

A small bonus to the job is that we might get to see the explosives used, and thus i agree we should try and take it!
Nom nom nom

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »

I think we should just get the pack of stuff and go.  Explosives sounds a lot like "hey, here's the DM trying to see if you'll shoot yourself in the face!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:49 pm »

Take the explosives job and buy the medikit just in case something goes wrong
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?
That's the spirit! He says the risk is minimal and why should we doubt the word of a strange old man who deals heavily in explosives and may or may not be some form of witch.

I say go for it!

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:25 pm »

Take the job, and try to make a proper joke about the female elf before leaving in a cloak flourish.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:45 pm »

Plus compensation. Should be more than enough to get us what we asked for. Nothing like more money! And helping an old man with things that go boom.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:21 pm »

Take the job, and try to make a proper joke about the female elf before leaving in a cloak flourish.

the cloak flourish is non non-negotiable, it is simply needs to happen. (hopefully without destroying any shop inventory we're unable to pay for)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2013, 05:45:35 pm »

The lot of us are insane, you guys know that?

That said, I say we take the job, and buy the medkit. It'll be the more helpful of the two items, should we get a) blown up, or b) mugged en route and have to whip someone's ass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »

Is she actually an elf or just a human? I know we sometimes have trouble telling these unfurred types apart, but shouldn't we at least know that?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:33 pm »

Is she actually an elf or just a human? I know we sometimes have trouble telling these unfurred types apart, but shouldn't we at least know that?

Judging by the ears, I'd wager she's at least half.  If full, then she's probably a lot older then she looks.  She might even be to old mans lover from years long past!  But I don't want to think about that, cause it's grossing me out.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55