Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68

Author Topic: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 4, Update 9  (Read 46250 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 3, Update 2
« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2013, 07:24:06 am »

From the ruckus coming from outside of his laboratory, Roland could easily guess that somebody, somewhere, had made a mess. When he got out and saw what was happening, he decided he should have been a diviner instead of a blood mage.

Evidently, the Earth mages were attempting to kill the... Thing which was taking the corpses in the mass grave. Short sighted, of course. He strode up to Patrizio and spoke to him.

"Patrizio. Stop what you're doing. Give me your artifacts - all those which will empower blood magic, so keep the gauntlet. I'll give them back later. I think a blood mage can compel that beast to do his bidding. You can slow it down with earth while I channel. Agreed?"

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »

Jim reached the tower base, breathing hard from the exertion of sprinting so hard all the way over here.  Looking back he didn't yet see the creature behind him but wasn't sure if it would not arrive soon.  Running inside he called out to the tower residents, "Hello!  Is anyone there?  My name is Jim and I'm hoping to join the Cabal!  Detani recruited me."
As he spoke, Jim noticed one of the tower necromancers come down followed by a second.  "Hey guys, nice to meet you.  Uh sorry for giving bad news after we've just met but there happens to be a rogue Flesh Monstrosity not so far behind me...  The good news is I brought some zombies too!"

One of the necromancers immediately broke into a plan to kill the creature by utilizing earth magic on it.  Before he got too far into his plan, the second one cut the first one off and ordered him to grab all the blood magic artifacts in an effort to control the beast.

"Well I'm new here, so I don't want to get too involved in the debate over what we do but no matter what plan of action we take, I would be more than happy to lend whatever assistance I can.  Blood mage Jim at your service!"

Prepare to help in whatever way I can
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 18, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

"Hmm... Nothing yet, but it's still better than just aimlessly studying. But first, I think that perhaps the skeletons we have should be raised to serve the tower."
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2013, 03:59:53 am »

I wasn't overly trusting but he made a compelling argument. The only artifact that would aid him was my hand-crafted staff, that chanelled arcane power universally, so I gave it to him for the purpose of his idea. I doubted he wold be able to achieve control over the monstrosity, but It was worthwhile to try working as a team.

Lend my staff to Roland for the duration of this encounter. Slow down the monster with quicksands and petrification of its legs. Otherwise kill it if Roland fails.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:11:27 am by Ardas »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:13 am »

As was his nature Helfd sat down after the tenth time a skeleton was covered in dirt. He lit his pipe and inhaled deeply, watching the surrounding nature and sighing.

Summon a Bonegolem from the Skeletons and let him do the removal of the cave-ins

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:47 am »

Attempt to bind the creature to my will. If that fails, attempt to make its blood boil (damage the tissues - kill it).

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2013, 09:14:55 pm »

"You have fun with that then, I've been away a while - I'm going to see if anything has changed around here lately."

Leave Jerik to his bone(r)s -

There seemed to be a commotion outside, upon inspection it would appear someone had attempted to raise a creature beyond their capability. We'd all seemed to have done it in the past, but a Ghoul is a far step below whatever this was.

Forget attempting to control the monstrosity, simply attempt to disrupt its binding and unsummon it
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:37 pm »

Help out in destroying the monstrosity.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 3, Update 3
« Reply #548 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:42 am »

Chapter 3: The Blood Tide.
Part Three: Flesh Monstrosity Down
Players:

Spoiler:  Helfd(Ghazkull) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Detani (Fniff) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flint (Unholy_Pariah) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jim (Gman8181) (click to show/hide)

-----------------
Known Locations:
-----------------
Suomi has been abandoned. Its people fled in the dead of winter to any nearby town.

Norvak A town approximately 400 people large. It seems to be primarily focused on cattle. But it is growing rapidly due to an influx of refugees. It is defended by a small fort garrisoned by veterans of the King's Army. It is affiliated with Welnshire.

Vis Valdi is a small fishing village on a river, somewhat northeast of Suomi. It might encompass all of 100 people. The people there live quiet lives, untroubled by most. Adventurers stop there frequently, traveling eastwards into the Wilds. The locals are somewhat standoffish.

The Tower, is ramshackle and old. It possesses few amenities currently. Your best guess is its still an unknown location.
-----------------
Note, all resources/items are placed in the Tower Stocks unless declared otherwise.
Spoiler: Tower Information (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tower Stocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tower Forces (click to show/hide)
-----------------
Events:
---
Jerik
Disdaining work actually helping the others deal with this 'Flesh monstrosity' you bend your talents towards raising the skeletal remains in the tower stores.
[5+1] The forces of necromancy heed your call. With a practiced ease, you neatly and efficiently raise skeletal remains. Before long you have raised every skeleton in the tower. +27 Skeletal Minions.

---
Flint
Your golem trundles off to the town, [2] thereby involving itself in the fight against the Flesh Monstrosity. However without orders to involve itself, and since the Flesh Monstrosity is far more interested in actual living beings, it proceeds with its task.
[Hidden rolls, hidden result.]

((You fail to understand that i'm not going to keep track of what kind of golems you raise.Its not going to be (5 stone golems(crab)(light), 2 stone golems (horses)(light), so on. I admire your inventiveness but this just adds bookkeeping work to me for little/no gain.))

[1+1]The magic is not in you, and you mispronounce a few words of the incantation. A small step from success, but you fail at your endeavors for now.

---
Helfd
[?,?] The magic comes easily to you, the spell you attempt merging easily with the necromantic working you've already laid over these skeletal minions. All of them sort of merge and flow together.

-5 Skeletal Minions, +1 Bone Golem (Small)
[2+1] Its power is sufficient to the task of removing the cave ins, but it will take time. Especially since you're being cautious.

---
Roland, Patrizio, Sholan, Detani, Jim
Knowing the Flesh Monstrosity is a danger to yourselves and to the fragile shelter of obscurity you possess, you five know and agree that you must bring it down.

Battle!
The five of you approach the graveyard. The monstrosity is busily adding more corpses to its frame. It lifts them up and presses them against the surface of its body, and the roiling corpses part and create space for another body. The process is fascinating to watch briefly, but you must strike now while it is somewhat distracted.

Detani calls upon Void magic to cut it apart, slow its growth or just weaken it. [5] The spell catches it unawares, blasting into dust several corpses making up the golems body. It makes an unearthly howl in response and turns towards the group.
Raising his gloved hands into an arcane gesture, Patrizio causes the earth to bubble and writhe under the feet of the Flesh Monstrosity.

[3+2] The spellcraft works well, trapping the golem for a time within the mass grave.

Slow to react to the mages presence, but now angered and aware it is under attack the Flesh Monstrosity grabs up several corpses in its enormous hands and hurls them at the party. Not a one of you is acrobatic enough to get out of the way entirely. The lot of you are knocked prone or sent sprawling by the putrid missiles the Monstrosity commands. Jim, distracted briefly by Spirit Voices telling him to duck, or move left, or right, or do a somersault backwards, takes the worst of it, stuck beneath a pair of large decomposing corpses.

Sholan, bad eye and all, managed to dodge most of it and get back to his feet quickly.

Roland scrambles to his feet, and raises up the staff borrowed from Patrizio. [1+1,2+1] Not even sure where to begin on such a creation, Roland focuses his spell poorly and does not manage to come close to even finding the 'consciousness' of the creature, let alone enslaving it.

Sholan moves to one side, plants his feet firmly and raises his own staff. This creature is far and away too deadly a beast to simply try to command, and its mere existence disrupts a perfectly valuable source of corpses. No, Sholan's intent is not to subdue the aberration, but unmake it. Arcane power roils through Sholan's figure, distorting the very air around him. [6+1,3+1] The surge of magic you feel is dangerously strong and you lose control of it briefly. It still strikes the Flesh Monstrosity and your magic clashes with that cast by Jim to summon the beast. Several dozen zombies disengage from its mass, shrinking the beast considerably.
Unfortunately those zombies are now shambling towards the mages, either controlled still by the Monstrosity, or free of any binding.

Jim pushes his way clear of the bodies pinning him down and turns his attention to the new threat. This he feels is something he can control. [5] Bringing his magic to bear, Jim manages turn at least half of the zombies against their fellows. There is no combat between the zombies, Jim instead opts to have his fresh zombies slow down the others.

[Hidden Rolls]Zombies clash against zombies, but several make it through to harass the group. Roland and Sholan manage to fend them off for now, but further spellcasting might be beyond them while they are distracted.

Detani raises her arms again, intent upon bringing down the major threat. [5] Yet more void magic slices through the air, divesting the creature of yet more of its mass. The creature is rapidly losing the strength it began this fight with.
Patrizio calls forth more earth magic, attempting to immobilize the random zombies. [3+2] Indiscriminately managing to halt the movement of most of the zombies, and unfortunately hitting all the more friendly ones, and not quite all of the hostile ones.

[5+1]Roland is beset by zombies, wielding his mighty axe, he cleaves through several zombies putting down most of the threat, and destroying the corpses for later use.

The Monstrosity has hauled its way out of the mass grave. It is bearing down on the group, heavy fists swinging. [5,3,3] Patrizio, Sholan and Jim are sent sprawling by the crushing blows. Patrizio and Jim are knocked out, striking random detritus in the street or simply the cobblestones. Sholan remains standing, woozily.

Sholan attempts further to unsummon the beast, but is somewhat less efficient due to the brutal hit. [4,2] But this is more than enough to disrupt the magical bonds remaining in the beast. Corpses slough from the Flesh Monstrosity, and before long it is simply a small pile of corpses, lying in the street.

The group has successfully put down the Flesh Monstrosity, and only damaged a few of the corpses. Most are still usable. There are still a few uncontrolled Zombies that are (for now) held by the earth.
+15% to Initiate, Sholan.
+40% to Adept, Roland, Patrizio, Detani, Jim.
Additional skill bonus to Roland, Jim. Detani.

---
Events in Near Proximity:
---
Winter has faded from the land, the snows are diminishing slowly and the winds grow warmer.
Further Catacomb exploration is Dangerous.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:27:48 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15:48 am »

Give the staff back to Patrizio.

Roland frowned at the mass of corpses. It was a mess, but at least it was over. It was time for work, once again.

"Patrizio, may I ask for a favor? I'm currently working on something highly innovative in my laboratory, but I need more materials to work with. Mainly, living test subjects. If you could go get me a few peasants and chains to keep them in, I would very much appreciate it. The blood keeps longer if it is within a living vessel, and I doubt any of my fellow mages would like to have me conduct my experiments on them. Do you think you can do that for me?"

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:43 am »

((Wait my golem involved itself in the flesh abomination fight by... standing around waiting for instructions?))

action 1: head to town and search for metal, summon another golem to help.
Action 2: use earth magic to convert all the metal dust, shards and nonvaluable/useful items collected by myself and my golems into pure ingots.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:05:31 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 29, 2013, 09:25:21 am »

((Whoops, forgot about that. I'll change that up.))
))Edit: Changed up!((
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:28:56 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:07 am »

The monstrosity was down. Most of my "colleagues" were gathered in a single spot, so there was a chance to speak to them.

"That was great work. However I would like to share an idea with you, before we disperse and start wasting out time again. There is an abandoned mine not far away from here, Helfd and I begun restoring it but there is more to be done. If we are to restore the old Cabal to power, we must stop this pointless roaming and pull our efforts together. That mine is only a part of it. We need to begin gathering power, troops and corrupt people. We must merge our projects and use them towards a single goal, otherwise we will waste another season on roaming around the countryside doing nothing.

Roland I will get some men for you, provided you explain the project to us. Everyone else, please share your ideas and maybe we can do more together. Otherwise, you will place yourselves under my project of mine restoration and construction of viable force to defend the tower, maybe moving to a new location even. This place is compromised."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 29, 2013, 09:44:00 am »

"I'm trying to create a magical... Plague."

Roland smiled. It was a nervous, unhealthy thing, but it was a smile all the same.

"I do not yet know its full potential, Patrizio, but this is big. Very big. Imagine a disease that could fell even the strongest of men, and make them rise again as undead, bound to our command and spreading the very disease that created them. Given enough time, I could multiply the vectors through which it could spread, and infect the air, the water, the very soils in which men grow their food. It could change the world, and tip the balance in our favor at last. If we'd had something like that during the war... We could have won. It may become the greatest magical weapon of our time. If I manage to perfect it, the world will remember us as the Necromancers who brought humanity to its knees."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:21 pm »

"Magical plagues and such are all well and good, but I think we need a professional army if we want to start making an impact. Zombies can only do so much, and they don't have any grasp of tactics. We either need to convince large numbers of people to join us, or we can recruit a lot of mercenaries. For that, we either need a convincing argument for our cause or a lot of money. Roland's plague and armies of the undead may freak the kingdoms out, but if we want a quick victory we need people who can coordinate attacks and target the right places."
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 68