Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66928 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2014, 05:48:09 pm »

"A hard decision indeed. Forget all ideas based on being tossed at the ship and destroying it with your own hands, though. This is not an action volo-vid." Russano remarks whilst pondering the options.

The diplomat crosses his arms. "They aren't supposed to know we are what they are looking for. Could we make it to the Barony Station before them? There or somewhere along the way we could say we were attacked by pirates and maybe create a diversion with the shuttle converted into a pirate-looking vessel."

((Edit: Corrected for in-universe reasons explained below by the GM.))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:00:26 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:42 pm »

"if there were safeguards for if the ai failed wouldnt a backup flight computer be one of them? You cant recover a ship you cant move after all."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »

((Minor nitpick on Caellath's post--This universe uses volumetric displays rather than holograms. Volo-tape, perhaps, would me a more accurate term? Perhaps it could be made such that well-educated people call them volo-vids as they are technically called, but the layman refers to such a display as merely a hologram despite the scientific inaccuracy....))

"You're right, you can't recover a ship you can't move. However, spacefaring vessels have a limited mass budget, and having a secondary computer plus shielding and other systems for it onboard at all times would be superfluous on most missions. My best guess as to how they would do it is that they would send in maintenance crews to open the hull and replace the computer manually, as that would cost less in the long run. However, I am afraid I have no intel on it. No documents detailing Centauri designs. If you could get a-hold of some, however, I believe we could actually try your idea--"

The first mate flipped off the cover on his tablet and placed the device close to his ear. Then, staring outward, he responded to Russano's speech.

"Right, captain. No Star Wars tactics allowed. I would say that, uh, Barony station is fairly close-by. The enemy vessel is currently at about half our velocity, but at an angle of about seventy degrees. We can swing around the sun and land on Barony while the Centauri vessel would have to begin to accelerate in order to match the velocity of the station. We'll shoot right past them if they don't change courses and the Centauri fleet will be confused for long enough to buy us some time. I calculate that with our increased thrust burn... we'll have about six hours before the AI vessel catches up and that's if they respond immediately. Good thinking sir!"

The swing to Barony station will take about three days of flight time. The jump gate trip would take about twelve otherwise. The enemy vessel may have difficulties following you to the jumpgate and require refuelling at the fuel depot if the delay is long enough. That would force the Centauri to send a different ship and give you a much greater head start.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:57 pm »

Having a slightly hard time keeping up with the conversation about how to escape the AI ship... since no one rejected his idea of taking control of it, Ryan figures it wouldn't hurt to try while the rest think of something else to do.

Using the displays to figure out where the AI ship is compared to us, use my powers in hopes my range extends far enough away to reach the AI ship and attmept to shut it down.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 14, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »

((Could we finalize decisions sometime? I don't want to keep Tiruin waiting :S

Please ask if you have questions. You don't have to be silent.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 14, 2014, 05:54:03 pm »

((To make the final decision already, sorry for the wait:))

Barony Station it is. Full speed ahead and let us trick some AI.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:23 pm »

"Hey Ryan, are you thinking what I am think?"

Also use the displays to maintain visual contact of the ship and see if Ii can control physical elements of it using my ability to control metal.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #622 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »

((Whelp, that was a giant time sink. I want to skip directly to the station, but since  ))

Roll 62

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

-----

Quote from: Characters
-PC's-
Dominic Zoshan
Kenjaro
Ryan
Russano Neskratt
-NPC's-
Codo
Harry North
First Mate John Astley

superBlast, AKA Ryan

Seeing Dominic in front of the screens reminds you that you may or may not be able to affect the enemy vision. You aren't sure if your powers are limited by the range of thought, or by a hard distance. Having no prior memories of your psionic powers, you can't be sure.
You bring down another monitor down to eye level and ask one of the bridge staff to focus this particular screen on whatever representation of the enemy ship you can. He links you the radar feed, depicting the enemy vessel as a multicolored layer-cake of reflected light waves. Seeing as this is the best you've got, you get to work.

[4] Since you don't have a visual feed, you aren't perceiving the ship as your mind normally would. If you were to adopt radar as another sense of sorts, alongside your vision, you might be able to use it. To do this, you resort to invading the Borealis sensor array as you did the cameras earlier, both on the ship and on the station. It works exactly as expected!
Using your new ability to perceive the ship, you look for ways to attack the enemy ship. The exposed sensor array is probably your biggest entrance point. You feel your consciousness jump light-seconds across the system, transferring itself into the enemy ship's computer and gaining access to all surveillance systems and monitors.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

Ryan doesn't respond to your rhetorical question, instead standing in front of a screen of his own. After he refuses to move for about five minutes, you look more closely at his eyes and see that his pupils are dilated and his eyes are starting out blankly into space, rather than at the viewscreen.

Speaking of which, the viewscreen no longer depicts the radar feed, but rather depicts surveillance feeds of an unfamiliar section of the ship. The floors in this part of the ship are, instead of a metal grate, composed of flat carbon panels with gold trim around the sides. The walls are painted scarlet instead of light green. Finally, this section has no crew currently inside it.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

*Four hours later*

At this point, Ryan is once again concerning you. He has been standing in front of a screen depicting surveillance feeds for four hours total. Dominic has been with him, but even he seems to have given up on waking Ryan up from his trance and is currently sitting on a couch.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

"Kenjaro!"

You hear Codo's voice coming out of your pocket. You take out the tablet-shaped device and respond to his question, asking him to explain.

"I'm sorry if I interrupted anything important. I'm really sorry. Anyway..."
You hear a commotion in the background. The voice of Janet Yamato and Harry North are recognizable, although you can't make out what they are saying.
"Harry has some very interesting things to say about his background. I recall that the gentlemen flying this ship wanted to know where their expeditions have gone. Meet us in the bar if you want to hear."
You might as well join in, since you don't have anything to do at the moment. Some ceremony that was.

You walk in while Harry is talking about some kind of armed invasion on his ship.
"You see, the first group we encountered wasn't the Van Buren Company. We actually recognized them. They were wearing armor with the age-old insignia of the Central Navy on it. We tried to explain that they sent us thousands of years ago, and they believed us. But they kept our ship occupied, telling us it was for our own good. They locked us out of the bridge for weeks, and then the Van Buren goons came in and snatched us all up. The Central Navy didn't give a word on what was happening, they were just... gone as soon as it happened.

They sent out the colonists to different stations. I don't think I'll ever see them again. But before we were separated, I heard a rumor from some of the technicians that the CN was selling us out for information. The Van Buren company gave them a map of the sector and guaranteed the navy that none of us would ever be able to spread the word about what happened on my ship. The CN was very serious about keeping their actions hidden."

"Oh hi Kenjaro! You know the Central Navy he was talking about? I asked him to draw out the insignia, and I immediately recognized it. Look--"
He shows you his tablet with the drawing program open. The insignia consisted of some kind of bird positioned over a ringed planet, wings spread out.
"This was the same insignia worn by the soldiers who invaded our own ship. Remember when you interrogated one? He said they hijack lone ships and trade them for information. It all sounds very similar, doesn't it?"

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:05 pm »

'Alright!' Ryan thinks when he gains access to the enemy ship. 'Now... time to delve deeper!'

Go deeper into the AI ships computers and try to gain access to as much of it's systems as possible and most importantly, it's virtual on/off switch.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:08 pm »

"Hmmm that it does, but what can we do about it without some hard evidence or an investigator who wont get dissapeared or paid off?"
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:13 pm »

"Hmmm that it does, but what can we do about it without some hard evidence or an investigator who wont get dissapeared or paid off?"
"What was Captain talking about back on the station? With that guard lady?"

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 16, 2014, 01:34:54 am »

"dead reporters and us being a good excuse for it?... and something about the captain taking some data drives or something, you think theres information about us on those drives somewhere and not just financial records?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 16, 2014, 01:56:49 am »

"I don't know anything about what the Van Buren company keeps on the drives. Probably not too much high-level stuff. But there's got to be some tracking information, stuff they keep just so they know what ships are going where and when. I have a nagging feeling that somewhere in those drives we could find more information about this 'Central Navy'."

A technician steps into the room. Her name is Elise Anyas, chief officer in charge of keeping the computer systems in check. Earlier she had started some database searches on the drives, but now she seems to be looking for the Captain.
((I AM RUNNING OUT OF COLORS. Tech. Anyas is now green))
"Is the captain here?"
Codo and Harry shrug. Yamato sets her drink down and points toward the nearest hallway.
"I found... something interesting in the files. Specifically, database entries and diplomatic records pertaining to all factions involved with Van Buren kidnapping and hijacking contracts."
Janet gives a thumbs up nonchalantly. Ignoring the crewman's lazy response, Anyas moves into the hall, calling Russano's name in case he is close to the entrance.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 23, 2014, 02:32:54 pm »

Wait, the crew compartments unused. This could be useful.

Use Discipline of Form and Discipline of Strength to create some sort of Golem out of parts of the crew compartment. Then find and greet the AI.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

Roll 63

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

-----

Quote from: Characters
-PC's-
Dominic Zoshan
Kenjaro
Ryan
Russano Neskratt
-NPC's-
Codo
Harry North
First Mate John Astley

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[3+2] Extending yourself across such a long distance turns out to be very easy once you've gained a foothold. You track down and locate the processing units that control life support, power supply, and engine status.

The ship's main computer, however, seems to be resilient to your attempts to subvert it. You can't communicate with it as you could with previous electronics... its programming is simply too dense for you to find logic errors and loopholes. It will take some time to do it.

Through the surveillance systems, you spot an individual walking through the halls. It's shaped like a person, although it is very clearly made of metal.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

[4+1] Seeing as the crew cabin isn't necessary for the ship's survival (although you could cause an accident if you so choose), you start to dismantle the walls and floors, melding together all of the metallic components to create an amorphous blob of metal, kept from solidifying through your own reluctance to give it a definite form immediately. You decide on the shape of an ordinary human, slightly shorter than most to reflect Centauri traits.

[3] You make your way through the cramped quarters to where the bridge would normally be on this kind of vessel. Here, you find a terminal connected to the main computer. It's running an old operating system that's only still in use because nobody know how to use it, including you. The commands are completely different from mainstream operating systems, most of which are easy to get adapted to. You never thought the Centauri would still be using it on their ships...

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

As the technician wanders about the hall, looking for occupied rooms, Codo blurts out.
"Crap no, I blanked out. The captain is back to the bridge. Sorry miss!"
Janet says nothing, despite having mimicked Codo's response.

The technian walks back to the elevator and disappears.
"I'm going to pay the captain a little visit and ask what's going on. This could be interesting."

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

It now seems that both Dominic and Ryan are staring blankly at the screens. You are curious as to what they are even accomplishing, however.

Technician Anyas walks back in. She seems to be browsing for something on her tablet as she walks up to you.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75