Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66911 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #600 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »

Maintenance reasons?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »

"Not so fast, an AI corvette is no easy prey. This ship is not purpose-built for combat, and our captain knows that. We can't penetrate their defenses until they overheat, which means that they have the upper hand by default. An AI vessel need not keep its average temperature at a habitable level. They can use the entire crew compartments as heatsinks and we have no way of knowing until we're out of time."

Wait, why does an AI-controlled ship have crew compartments? Just in case they want to have a crew on ship for some reason? Doesn't sound very logical for a ship that's designed for being AI-controlled.

((The ship is designed to be capable of full-AI control. It is not designed solely for full AI control, because they want to be able to use them to carry boarding parties or take prisoners as well. It's simpler to have one versatile hull rather than multiple specialized hulls. They can strip the crew compartments down or even remove them entirely to fit in auxiliary storage tanks, which is what I'm referring to.

Think about it--what if you have to respond to a distress signal in hostile space. Do you go in yourself inside a frigate or send in an AI vessel to pick up the distressed civilians? It could turn out to be an ambush, in which case losing the small crewless vessel is better than losing the larger vessel that requires crew to run properly.

Also, the AI need not be self-aware, in which case it helps to be able to put crew on the ship for more advanced missions that the AI cannot handle on its own.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 05, 2014, 04:44:58 pm »

((Did I just kill the thread with my mini wall-of-text?  ;D))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 05, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »

No, i just have nothing for my character to do
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 05, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »

((I'd like to expand things a bit further but I want other people's input as to the current situations. Caellath and superblast have gone missing.

You could also suggest things, like, for example, suggest to change course and take refuge at a different station (after asking if there are any in this system). You have several other options as well. Remember that the Centauri don't realize you've overheard their conversation.
Or ask where Russano is headed to, for that matter. Your character may feel that he has an obligation to help Russano with whatever he is doing, but it helps to know where he is headed.))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:20:57 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:19 pm »

Russano reaches for his comms. "Forget about getting to that jumpgate quicker than our pursuer. We should focus on putting us in a more advantageous position to retaliate since it is likely to catch up to us no matter what. First mate, what are our options? We need anything that would give us an edge in combat or instead allow us to avoid it altogether."

Head back to the bridge and have a wide selection of tactically plausible options presented.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 06, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »

((Sorry, I completely forgot to check the site and I might've skipped my email notification.))

Ryan wonders what's going on after Russano just spoke into his communicator being pursued and combat... Ryan follows after Russano to find out what's going on.

Follow Russano back to the bridge.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #607 on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »

Roll 61

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

-----

Quote from: Characters
-PC's-
Dominic Zoshan
Kenjaro
Ryan
Russano Neskratt
-NPC's-
Codo
Harry North
First Mate John Astley

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

"I'm glad you asked, captain!" The officer responds over the local channel.
"I'll put our options up on the display. Connect to the bridge now."

The globular display in the center of the bridge now reads the following.

Equipment ((With OOC explanation)):
Offensive
-3x Coilgun ((Standard hypervelocity kinetics. Can be used for point-defense or anti-capital ship purposes, but does not excel at either. While a single lucky hit can deal great damage, you need to cut a few holes in the enemy armor for the rounds to get through first.))
-8x Conventional Laser Cannon ((Through the five turrets located on the ends of the sensor towers, your eight lasers can either fire a long-ranged sustained barrage, or fire all at once to exploit a weak point in the enemy ship. Accurate up to medium range, very high heat generation. Takes three turns for each laser to cool down.))
-1x Bomb-Pumped X Ray Laser ((Basically a nuke and a laser in one convenient package. A nuclear device explodes, pumping x-rays into lasing rods that are aimed at nearby targets. The chief disadvantage is that the nuclear device will vaporize the entire housing and poses a severe threat to the ship itself if you are too close, so you only have one shot. The entire device is housed within a missile hidden inside the hull of the ship. Highly vulnerable to point defense.))
Defensive
-4x Point Defense Laser ((Best at constantly shooting down missiles and small craft. Can be used as a makeshift weapon at the cost of heat efficiency compared to dedicated anti-capital weaponry.))
-2x Flak Battery ((Puts down a screen of fire that blinds enemy sensors and weapons, destroys missiles and small craft, and shreds radiators, although the rounds themselves can be intercepted before they reach their destination. Must be reloaded after a turn of firing.))
-1x Plasma PD ((Deploys a charged net that can take a few hits from particle weaponry. Can also disperse kinetic projectiles. Limited stock, currently 1, although more can be manufactured))
Utility
-H2O Tanks ((Every nook and cranny that isn't used for habitable space is used for water storage. Water is like the blood of a spacecraft--it is used for hydroponics, sustenance, coolant, and is refined into propellant. Whether the drive nuclear thermal or nuclear salt water, most ships need truckloads of it to stay operational. The exception is ships powered by fission fragment drives, but those are rare due to the fact that they don't use water as propellant, making them hard to supply.))
-Radiator Fins ((Currently retracted for safety purposes. When the temperature passes a certain threshold these MUST come out or else the ship will turn to slag. This makes them vulnerable to getting shot off and thus they only come out in battle to signal a surrender.))
-4x Flash Coolant Tanks ((Liquid metal tanks that can be ejected to shed off heat. Used in emergency situations only.))
-4x Flash Coolant Magazines ((Allows your lasers to fire very quickly. Instead of taking multiple turns to recharge and cool off, they will be ready to fire the next turn right away. Costs one magazine to reload all lasers.))
-5x Sensor Arrays ((The five sensor towers on the front of the ship contain important equipment that is used for detecting comm traffic and scanning for ships. The effective range of sensors is quite massive, enough to detect threats on your side of the system with ease. Electronic warfare can be used to severely reduce your range and thus blind your ship to other vessels))
-3x Landing Shuttles ((One is disguised to look like a pirate ship, the others are standard civilian vessels common around the Ross and Sirius regions. Can be remote-operated or even set on autopilot, although the AI aboard is minimalistic.))

Standard Options (Expected chance of success):
-Engage in combat with the Interceptor (33%)
 -Bombard interceptor with laser battery ((You might get a lucky hit in, but even lasers are inaccurate at this range.))
-Retreat to Barony Station ((Nearby freelancer pub and shipyard)) (83.3%)
-Ignore interceptor, enter jumpgate (16.7%)
-Surrender (100%) ((Provided you slow down, the ship should not fire on you if your radiators are extended unless you fire back.))

Advanced Options (Success chance uncertain):
-False Surrender ((Destroy interceptor somehow))
-Negotiate with Centauri ((They aren't "evil empire," there's just a bit of a misunderstanding))
-Remodel Ship Exterior ((Remove exterior stealth paint to present a different sensor signature))
-Proceed to different jumpgate ((They might follow you there. One gate leads deeper into Centauri space, the other leads to a series of gates connecting the Centauri border worlds to the Aroth homeworlds.))
-Retreat to outer system ((Your ship most likely has a delta V advantage as it is a transport/explorer and not a combat ship. They can chase you, but not for long.))

superBlast, AKA Ryan

You stumble out of the elevator with Russano, still groggy from that rather strange dream you had, if it could even be considered a dream.
Dominic is in front of a monitor waving his hands about. Kenjaro is standing idle while crewmen dash about the room. There seems to be quite a commotion going on around the sensor controls and the central navigation orb. On the navigation orb itself you see a list of your ship's options, as well as a crude visual representation of a Centauri ship. You're not sure how you recognize that it's Centauri and yet you can't even remember your own last name without asking.

The vessel itself is of typical Centauri design. Sleek and rounded, with weapons mounted on rungs far from the central hull to draw fire away from the important sections. Two large towers with a single orb on the end were probably laser turrets. Its drive plume was visually represented on the system map as a red-tinted cloud of hazardous radiation and particles. The words "A.I. Vessel" were printed in bold next to the enemy ship.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

You ponder over the options and look for places to employ hand-to-hand combat. You really dislike this kind of warfare--the kind where all you can do is sit and watch as your choices play out in slow motion. This was a view held by most Cyrians, owing to their military's emphasis on melee combat and boarding over destroying the enemy ship. In space, your enemy's vessel is just as valuable a resource as your own.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

[6] Pulling down a monitor from the wall and turning it on, you configure it to display an exterior feed stitched together by the computer from the exterior camera data.

Since your ship has not yet cleared the asteroid belt, you look for and find a since rock about a foot across zooming by at high speed. With your influence... the rock actually slows down relative to you and eventually comes to a relative stop neatly over the ship's hull, kept in place within your inertial reference frame by your force of will. Finally, you wiggle it around and conclude that you are in fact able to use camera feeds to manipulate objects. This could be useful, as the use of your powers to their fullest extent can be highly dangerous.

Your power range is determined by your range of comprehension, not by any hard limit.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »

Russano drums his fingers on the nearest table, brows knitted in thought. "Gentlemen, we have several options. What is your opinion on the matter at hand?" he says without blinking.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 07, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »

Dominic twirled his hat around his index finger while humming loudly to direct the crew's attention to the monitor in front of him.

"I believe we have a chance at fighting this. Especially if we employ a false surrender strategy."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

"Um... if it's an AI ship coming after us, couldn't I use my powers on it pretty easily? Only thing I know I can do to help." Ryan says the first thing he thinks of. If his powers can reach as far as the AI ship, it doesn't seem too hard to give it a shut down command... or even take control of it sounds possible.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »

"if you could open its airolocks id be willing to board it and wreck the AI core, without it controlling tge ship we could probably fly it to a shipyard and sell it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:35 pm »

John responds to Kenjaro's comment, unaware of what Ryan is talking about. John is still unfamiliar with the party's talents.
"Assuming you can still control it after its computer is fried, of course.

I'm sure a number of our weapons could *ahem* open the airlocks. You'd probably need a spacesuit anyway as there is no guarantee the AI won't just open all of the airlocks and flush you out."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 07, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »

"surely tgere would be safeguards allowing manual operation of the ship if the AI malfunctioned, if only for recovery purposes?

And we could probably jusy tow it if all else fails.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »

"That depends how heavily they've refitted it. If it's equipped for all-out combat, then there probably isn't even much of a crew section left other than the bare essentials of maintenance pathways for the drones to operate in. Even if there is an entire bridge control suite, you can't run a starship without a computer to calculate thrust burns."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 75