Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69755 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #870 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »

Can we not get personal? Please? I like the atmosphere here where we can debate issues without just squabbling among each other.

So, Gun control. We need more of that action.
War is the middle east? Why is that still going?
War on drugs? What a fucking joke.
Abortion? Why do we have the right to tell a woman what she can or can not do?
Gay marriage? Fuck yea!
Secularism in schools. The only way.

There, take your pick.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:57 pm »

Yeah, sorry, Aerie (and the rest of you.)  Bad post on my part.

Anyway.  Same-sex marriage looked like it was going somewhere in Illinois last I checked.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 06, 2013, 10:09:55 pm »

Gun control?  I would be for it but considering the thriving black market and ubiquity of undocumented guns, I'm not sure what good it can do.

War in the middle east?  Trashing their shit and then leaving before it's cleaned up, America is a horrible party guest.  I'm not even sure what the timetable is on all that, do we still have guys in Iraq?

War on drugs?  I'm in college so I've temporarily suspended my support for legalization on the grounds that I'm not mistaken for a horrible douchebag with white guy dreadlocks and body odor.

Abortion?  Man, I don't have a uterus.  Do what you want.

Gay marriage?  Why do gay people want to be a part of an institution designed by people who hate them?  But whatever, it's not gonna hurt me to vote yes if it comes up, though I don't plan on fighting for it.

Secularism in schools?  Don't we already have that?
Shoes...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:29 pm »

War on drugs?  I'm in college so I've temporarily suspended my support for legalization on the grounds that I'm not mistaken for a horrible douchebag with white guy dreadlocks and body odor.
Why are you giving in to other people's bullshit association fallacies? Supporting legalization does not in any way make you a douchebag stereotype, and anyone who thinks that is a moron.
Gay marriage?  Why do gay people want to be a part of an institution designed by people who hate them?
Legal benefits, such as tax breaks and hospital visitation rights.

Secularism in schools?  Don't we already have that?
Mostly. Lots of places still push the line, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »

Gun control?  I would be for it but considering the thriving black market and ubiquity of undocumented guns, I'm not sure what good it can do.

It's not surprising that we have a thriving black market when the government doesn't try to control guns and the feds aren't allowed to do any research or use modern tracking.  The UK used to have a gun problem then they got sick of it an enacted gun laws.  It took a while but they eliminated the problem, now most gun crime in the country is linked to the under 1000 illegal guns left in a country of more then 60 million people.

It's surprising how much a difference it makes when you actually try to accomplish something.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »

That only works to an extent Misko, and we should always endeavor to better ourselves even when we know we may fail at times.

On another note, am I the only person who has noticed that in every single thread Aerie is in she is needlessly aggressive and seems to be just itching for a fight?
Now see, here you are being a hypocrite, possibly a double one, and I don't care. It's a philosophy which should be more prevalent on the internet.
That's the point of the background checks, crack-down on smuggling and such. It's the reason there are illegal guns in New york when they have the strictest laws in the nation.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:16 pm »

You know, if our Bureau of Tobacco, Alcohol, Firearms and Explosives actually had the authority, resources and power to regulate Firearms like they're supposed to, we wouldn't have such a large black market. As it sits, though, the laws are laughable. It's fucking terrible. (I'm sure RedKing knows way more about that than I do, though.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:11 pm »

Huh. Was never aware of the LDS-BSA link. And I was in Scouting for about 12 years. Was an ABP (All-But-Project, meaning I qualified for Eagle Scout but aged out before I could finish my service project).
It's not that unusual. LDS owns about 30% of all units, but outside of those the only influence they have is with national policy.
I have never understood eagle scouts. What exactly are they?
America's fascist paramilitary youth club. We started them so they could kill communist invaders if the military was routed or unavailable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:43 pm »

Yeah. That is certainly not a outdated definition.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »

That is exactly some shit a communist infiltrator would say. Take him away!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:10 pm »

I never understood that "if the military is routed". If the military is routed we are all going to die. Beacause what ever is attacking is powerful. And almost certainly aliens.

Also, I doubt that is true, as the US does support the boy scouts, and it is illegal to fund study of surrender using tax-payer dollars.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:01 pm »

I recently had the pleasure of watching my cousin be turned into a eagle scout.

I think I posted this thought on bay12 before. But damn the ceremony was creepy. Maybe MSH is right.

Don't take me away.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

I'm an eagle scout except no wait, I'm not.  I have the order of the arrow or whatever, which means I completed cub scouts, but once I got into real boy scouts I didn't do jack shit except camping trips I hated. 
Shoes...

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 07, 2013, 12:44:33 am »

Huh. Was never aware of the LDS-BSA link. And I was in Scouting for about 12 years. Was an ABP (All-But-Project, meaning I qualified for Eagle Scout but aged out before I could finish my service project).
It's not that unusual. LDS owns about 30% of all units, but outside of those the only influence they have is with national policy.
I have never understood eagle scouts. What exactly are they?
America's fascist paramilitary youth club. We started them so they could kill communist invaders if the military was routed or unavailable.

I happen to know and eagle scout and I had no idea he was a facist paramilitary type until you just enlightened me. How ignorant I have been!

What did we just say about blanket statements?

I kind of wish I'd asked him whether he handed his badge back when a bunch of others did when the whole "gay scouts" debacle started. On the other hand the last time I saw him was his wedding and it didn't exactly seem like the time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:46:34 am by Nilik »

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:47 am »

So, Gun control. We need more of that action.

If you're willing to give up the right to protect yourself and your family from assault, robbery, or rape, then sure, banning handguns and semi-automatic rifles is a fantastic idea.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:58:42 am by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66