Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69703 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #885 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:34 am »

So, Gun control. We need more of that action.

-false dilemma snip-
Look, there's lots of ways for people to defend themselves without resorting to lethal means. If I'm not living, breathing, typing proof of that, I don't know what is. Don't pull bullshit like that out here.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:55 am »

Look, there's lots of ways for people to defend themselves without resorting to lethal means.

Certainly: pointing a gun at someone trying to attack you is a fantastic non-lethal deterrent.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:02:40 am by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:08 am »

I -really- don't like you. Pulling all this rhetorical bullshit, taking what people say and twisting it, acting all righteous.

It's all in very bad taste.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:46 am »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:57 am »

Look, there's lots of ways for people to defend themselves without resorting to lethal means.

Certainly: pointing a gun at someone trying to attack you is a fantastic non-lethal deterrent.
It's a terrible non-lethal deterrent. Holding someone up with a gun is movie stuff. It might work on a common criminal, but if you draw at all you better be ready to shoot to kill.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 07, 2013, 01:03:41 am »

It's a terrible non-lethal deterrent. Holding someone up with a gun is movie stuff. It might work on a common criminal, but if you draw at all you better be ready to shoot to kill.

So how do you recommend I defend myself?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:10 am »

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:01 am »

Sorry. Edited it to explain why.

Okay. Can you provide any empirical evidence that supports your claims?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:03 am »

So is punching them in the face. So is talking them down. So is kicking them in the groin. So is running the fuck away, which is usually the smartest option. So on and so on.

Look, guns have one purpose: they make it really easy for people to kill stuff. Pistols are invariably weapons meant to be pointed at people, thus making it really easy to kill people. They are never non-lethal unless they are not loaded, in which case, they are unusable for their main purpose.

Let's take an aside, though. Here's the deal about this community: We do our best to all get along and play intelligently, even when we're arguing. If you're going to be a dumbass about this instead of arguing your position like an adult with at least half a functioning brain, you can fuck right back off to 4chan or reddit or wherever you came from.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:45 am »

Aerie, I believe you may be the best troll I've ever met. I don't even know if it's intentional. But by god. Everything you say fills me with rage. It's honestly pretty impressive.

You are just. So. God. Damned. Wrong. About. Everything. Even when you're right, you manage to be wrong. On the level of "2+2=4 because the addition symbol makes you multiple the numbers together, add 4, and then divide the result by 2". It's infuriating, especially since you've, at least once, in your very next post you practically admitted that you KNEW you were wrong and didn't care.

You have no intellectual integrity at all, and until you get some I'm beginning to suspect it might be best for everyone to just ignore you.

So... anyone have anything actually POLITICS related?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 07, 2013, 01:09:01 am »

I -really- don't like you. Pulling all this rhetorical bullshit, taking what people say and twisting it, acting all righteous.

It's all in very bad taste.
He may have a career in law-enforcement coming up soon.

Yeah. If a criminal sees you with a gun, realize what's going through his mind is "I need to kill them, ASAP". Not "Oh god a gun, I must flee for my life." It's also likely he didn't plan to become a murderer either.

And guess what? 9 time out of ten, it's him who is the bettter shot. And, of course, there's the statistics saying a gun in the house is more likely to be used on each other. Obvious given most murders are, of course, by people you know, instead of the image of mass-murderers and such.

This is my first and last comment, since obviously I can see where this is going clearer then most of you. Actually probably all of you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 07, 2013, 01:10:07 am »

So how do you recommend I defend myself?
Perfect Solution Fallacy, and also irrelevant. The matter at hand is not how you defend yourself, it is that your stated method for defending yourself is both very ineffective and a hair trigger away from either your death or your assailant's death. Not a good standard for a "non-lethal deterrent" to hold.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:16 am »

If you're willing to give up the right to protect yourself and your family from assault, robbery, or rape, then sure, banning handguns and semi-automatic rifles is a fantastic idea.

Considering that studies show the majority cases of "self defense" were actually instances of someone using a gun to illegally threaten people according to the gun owners own account, yes I am willing to give that up

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

There is a reason why the NRA has gone to such lengths to suppress research on gun violence.  The research shows that guns are a horrible, horrible way to protect yourself.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:59 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/behind-the-curtain-gop-fox-political-purge-87293.html?hp=t1

Beware, it's actual politcis on display, as per the definition. Seems like right media is takign down the most hard-core of their ranks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 66