Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69814 times)

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #855 on: February 06, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »

Most people will just say "Non-religious" or not practicing because of how stigmatized the word "Atheist" is.

This, pretty much. The term "atheist" reminds me of someone who actively and hatefully attacks all organized religion simply because it is organized religion (don't believe me? go look at r/atheism.) That, and it's too commonly used as a synonym for "non-religious", which, as I've said a couple posts ago, isn't true.

agnostics logically come to the conclusion of "I can't know,"

Agnostics essentially say "I don't know whether God exists or not, and we'll probably never know, but given the circumstances and the lack of evidence supporting it, I'm pretty sure it's not the case."

In my opinion, this probably the most rational way to approach theism rather than "GOD DOESN'T EXIST AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE IS IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: majority of atheists) or "GOD EXISTS AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE ISN'T IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: majority of theists).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:32:10 pm by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:47 pm »

In my opinion, this probably the most rational way to approach theism rather than "GOD DOESN'T EXIST AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE IS IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: majority of atheists) or "GOD EXISTS AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE ISN'T IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: majority of theists).
Can you not see the irony in this sentence?

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »

Can you not see the irony in this sentence?

I don't care if people believe or disbelieve in God. But I will take offense to people that try to shove their beliefs or lack thereof down other people's throats.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »

"GOD DOESN'T EXIST AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE IS IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: loudest atheists) or "GOD EXISTS AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE ISN'T IS AN UNEDUCATED MORON" (see: fundamentalists).
Fix'd.

To judge a collective based on its most radical members is a logical fallacy.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:25 pm »

To assume an argument has a false conclusion because it contains a fallacy is a logical fallacy.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:17 pm »

To assume an argument has a false conclusion because it contains a fallacy is a logical fallacy.

However the fallacy does mean that the argument itself is false/improper/incorrect, meaning the conclusion's correctness will have to be proved/disproven with another argument.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »

But I can use that exact same argument to point out why pointing out that my argument contains a logically fallacy in pointing out a fallacy doesn't in fact oh fuck this. Just fuck this.

I am not engaging in a cluster fuck of recursive logical fallacies.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:55 pm »

In railing against being too quick to call other people stupid and shoving beliefs down people's throats you're a) labeling the "majority" of atheists and theists (and therefore the majority of humanity, I guess) as stupid assholes and b) aggressively bringing up your views on the subject for no real reason and in an inappropriate venue.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 06, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »

labeling . . . the majority of humanity . . . as stupid assholes

Pretty much, yeah.

I guess maybe I should have refined my previous statements as "don't call specific people stupid."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »

How did we get on this discussion again?  In a thread that isn't about this?

On topic (Off topic) I just tell people I worship the devil now.  It's not true, but it shuts them up. 

So what, you think you can talk shit about the majority of humanity because "the majority of humanity" isn't a person who can get mad at you for it?
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:53 pm »

It is great to sit back and say 'The majority of people X'
Because by having the insight and wisdom to make that statement, you are clearly exempt from the majority, and anybody who tried to argue is just some pleb who is clearly guilty of X and has no right to a valid opinion.

Watch!
The majority of people are blatant pedophiles! We should do something about this problem! Anybody who says otherwise is just a sick pedophile trying to cover up their own crimes!

Freud would be proud.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 06, 2013, 09:12:46 pm »

I'm real damn sick of the hoi polloi, you've got that part right.  If people just upheld my unrealistic standards that I don't hold myself to, the world would be a much better place.
Shoes...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 06, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »

And this is why thinking all of humanity is trash is consistiently the best philosophy. You accept that all standards are unrealistically high, and humans are inherently going to suck to a great extent, and you are so much happier.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 06, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »

That only works to an extent Misko, and we should always endeavor to better ourselves even when we know we may fail at times.

On another note, am I the only person who has noticed that in every single thread Aerie is in she is needlessly aggressive and seems to be just itching for a fight?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:45 pm »

That only works to an extent Misko, and we should always endeavor to better ourselves even when we know we may fail at times.

On another note, am I the only person who has noticed that in every single thread Aerie is in she is needlessly aggressive and seems to be just itching for a fight?

Quick, guys, spot the hypocrisy!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66