Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220685 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1680 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »

Chaos is randomness. Chaos has the advantage because it's so random, half the time it's order.

How does that logic work? Because
humans
are chaotic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

Chaos and order can coexist. Imagine a universe so chaotic that everything is mixed perfectly. It is therefore perfectly uniform and ordered.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 27, 2013, 02:26:05 pm »

shall we take the philosophy class to the ooc thread ;)

its cool and all, but there might be a better place.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 27, 2013, 03:03:04 pm »

Chaos and order can coexist. Imagine a universe so chaotic that everything is mixed perfectly. It is therefore perfectly uniform and ordered.
It depends on your definition of chaos and order. A maximized entropy mean a perfectly uniform and unchanging (and unlivable) universe. Is it order? Is it chaos?
If it's order, then chaos is non-uniformity right? But isn't "everything contained in its own little corner" a definition of order as well?

Let's make an analogy. A bocal of clear water and a drop of black colorant.
When both are perfectly separated, we call the system ordered.
The fragile instant where the drop is not entirely mixed, when we can observe beautiful forms of black within the water, we call chaos.
But when both are perfectly mixed, making a bocal of grey water, is it perfect order or absolute chaos?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »

maybe its also like Taoism. or maybe it is entropy... (I will take this ooc)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 27, 2013, 03:08:40 pm »

It depends on your definition of chaos and order. A maximized entropy mean a perfectly uniform and unchanging (and unlivable) universe. Is it order? Is it chaos?
If it's order, then chaos is non-uniformity right? But isn't "everything contained in its own little corner" a definition of order as well?

Let's make an analogy. A bocal of clear water and a drop of black colorant.
When both are perfectly separated, we call the system ordered.
The fragile instant where the drop is not entirely mixed, when we can observe beautiful forms of black within the water, we call chaos.
But when both are perfectly mixed, making a bocal of grey water, is it perfect order or absolute chaos?
Perlute ordos.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 27, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »

Order cannot be Chaos, but Chaos can be Order.

Say there's a one in one hundred chance of a box of marbles having all the marbles perfectly aligned in any given pattern. That one-hundredth of the time, it will be ordered, and thus, if chaos is applied, it can be ordered. However, if you have a stack of bricks, it is ordered, and being order, will not change into chaos on it's own.

Thus, Order can accomplish nothing on it's own, for it wishes for nothing to be accomplished. Similarly, Chaos can do anything, but doesn't do anything, because it's desires shift endlessly. Only a combination of the two can achieve one's goals.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »

Order cannot be Chaos, but Chaos can be Order.

Say there's a one in one hundred chance of a box of marbles having all the marbles perfectly aligned in any given pattern. That one-hundredth of the time, it will be ordered, and thus, if chaos is applied, it can be ordered. However, if you have a stack of bricks, it is ordered, and being order, will not change into chaos on it's own.

Thus, Order can accomplish nothing on it's own, for it wishes for nothing to be accomplished. Similarly, Chaos can do anything, but doesn't do anything, because it's desires shift endlessly. Only a combination of the two can achieve one's goals.
Just so as this doesn't go entirely OOC, this logic means there must be a spy or order/chaos god in the nine.....
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »

So chaos is a process, and order a state? Sounds legit. Seriously.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »

To further complicate this discussion, there's also the concepts of Organized Chaos and Chaotic Order - where both elements are present but in different levels of precedence.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »

To further complicate this discussion, there's also the concepts of Organized Chaos and Chaotic Order - where both elements are present but in different levels of precedence.
The GM has spoken!!!!! Now back to relevance perhaps.......

Sigtext

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

I am done with the derailment (sorry :'c) last thing in it, that if not order/chaos, then order/war get things done in eot? done now.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »

We derialed so bad the GM joined us. This is truly Bay12.

Anyway, as for our little baby child. We must provide for it. It's an it, as there's no second member of the species to base gender off of.

We tell it that it is our shining creation, the first of a race that was brought to sentience through the power of chaos, and gifted with the abilites we have given it to succeed and thrive.

That states that it was an accident, sort of, while making it sound a precious thing. Which it seriously is. This is one of the most beautiful things Chaos can do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

We tell it that it is our shining creation, the first of a race that was brought to sentience through the power of chaos, and gifted with the abilites we have given it to succeed and thrive.

That states that it was an accident, sort of, while making it sound a precious thing. Which it seriously is. This is one of the most beautiful things Chaos can do.
Sounds good. Also, use our Chaos-SenseTM or something to determine if she/he/it has any gender, and if so which it is.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 27, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »

I think I might be for giving full racial status to this thing, so amazing.

We should produce a few more for kickstarting purposes, say 6. Then we can test them and send them to scout.

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130