Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860773 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12480 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:06 pm »

so no more narrow than 3 across ok thanks, underground vechile, tunneler could be interesting, something u can dig power and generally carve out a whole underground city

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:32 pm »

In the experimentals (not sure if it was in 0.A) you can build lightstrips that run for a LONG time on regular batteries.  They're pretty handy for reading/crafting, but they'd be a little inconvenient if you really want to light up a whole base for some reason.  And a version that runs on atomic power iirc, I was never tempted to build em cause I want the nukie stuff for other goodies :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: July 14, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »

In the experimentals (not sure if it was in 0.A) you can build lightstrips that run for a LONG time on regular batteries.  They're pretty handy for reading/crafting, but they'd be a little inconvenient if you really want to light up a whole base for some reason.  And a version that runs on atomic power iirc, I was never tempted to build em cause I want the nukie stuff for other goodies :D
While true, is that actually relevant to current conversation?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: July 14, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »

I was responding to the lighting part of
is it possible to setup internal lighting and heating that uses battery power within youre own little tunnel of living.
Was that really *so* long ago?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: July 14, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »

Oh, well, quoting may have been useful there...  And when you're using a vehicle there's other vehicle lighting options, namely headlights and floodlights.  They're more battery hungry, but also give enormous light.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: July 14, 2014, 04:55:48 pm »

so no more narrow than 3 across ok thanks, underground vechile, tunneler could be interesting, something u can dig power and generally carve out a whole underground city

The 3 wide is minimum to have the center enclosed, and therefore have the A/C kick in.  Theoretically you could have a narrower rammer, but that's not a good idea if you're ramming a path for the vehicle itself.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: July 15, 2014, 12:22:50 am »

So I noticed there were factions in the game. Do these factions exist or are they a placeholder for a future update? Also, what are some good goals? Because so far for me it's.

1) Stockpile food and water
2) Collect all books
3) Grind skills
4) Build home to do all this more efficiently

And finally, has anyone tried to make a black-belt that does nothing but rampage through town slaughtering zombies only stopping to eat, sleep, and drink? And if so, how far can he go?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:45 am »

Factions have been in as flavor since the days of whales, but they are not really in, and wont be until NPCs are fixed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: July 15, 2014, 12:30:35 am »

Factions have been in as flavor since the days of whales, but they are not really in, and wont be until NPCs are fixed.

Which ...is actually happening.  That's the most recent PR.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: July 15, 2014, 01:05:47 am »

And finally, has anyone tried to make a black-belt that does nothing but rampage through town slaughtering zombies only stopping to eat, sleep, and drink? And if so, how far can he go?
I've tried this. I set the debug options to give me maximum stats and skills in everything and named my character Chuck Norris. Zombies got pulped in one hit, hulks died in two, I felt invincible. Then I built some pipe bombs to raid a military bunker. As soon as the bombs blew the door open, two turrets headshot me 5 times total and instantly killed me. That's right, kids: even the most badass person in the world can die anticlimactically from a hit to the head. Wear your helmet when cycling and/or living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, they save lives!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:12 am »

And a version that runs on atomic power iirc, I was never tempted to build em cause I want the nukie stuff for other goodies :D
Is this a thing that exists and what is it called?
I want me some nucleo-bulbs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:58 am »

And a version that runs on atomic power iirc, I was never tempted to build em cause I want the nukie stuff for other goodies :D
Is this a thing that exists and what is it called?
I want me some nucleo-bulbs.
There's an 'atomic nightlight' item in game.  It's based on a real-world item that for the life of me I cannot find on google, but is essentially a small amount of radioactive material, radium I believe, which is harmless but produces a small 'glowstick' type of light.  They last for like millions of years, but only really provide enough light to not bump into things in the dark.  I'd be worried reading by it because it's so dim it'd strain my eyes.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12492 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:37 am »

This perhaps?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:01 am »

This perhaps?

Quote from: RadiumScope
(atoms are miniature worlds)
[citation needed]

But yeah, probably something more along the lines of this. Something similar could probably be made with plutonium, which is what radioactive material the game currently has, and something phosphorescent.

EDIT: Now that I read a bit more, it seems that usually it's beta-deyacing materials being used for illumination, which plutonium is not. Unless it's 241Pl which is a synthetic isotope not found naturally. I suppose the plutonium cells ingame could be this, in which case we could build smoke detectors from the 241Am resulting from the decay! Yay, nuclear physics!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:24:38 am by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: July 15, 2014, 10:27:43 am »

If I'm not confused, the reason tritium lights work is that it's a beta decay reaction, and if I remember my physics correctly pluntonium has an alpha decay reaction (read: emits alpha particals which are hydrogen nuclei and not beta decay which is electrons.)  So it'd not be as simple as the tritium lights or necessarily possible.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1086